Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

From A2 -> A category Permit

Options
  • 19-07-2017 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi all,

I'm new here so this might have been asked before.. I've done my theory test for A2 permit 2 years ago when i was 23, so I couldn't do A since you need to be 24.

Now I'm due to renew the permit and I'm 25, is it possible to add-on the A category as i presume the theory test is the same? Or I have to do some additional tests?

Cheers
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

I think you just have to do module 5 in the IBT for the A category now

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

your theory test will be fine from before

add the A category to your permit

then do your IBT on an A bike

• Registered Users Posts: 5 eselskas

Cheers lads!

Was in NDLS the other day renewing the licence and asked the girl if I can just add A onto it, took her a while to find out, when finally she said yes and ticked the A category on the form.

Then as I was leaving she tells me that I'll need to do the test (?) for A category (maybe she meant the full licence). So i left more confused than when I came in. She didn't seem to be knowledgeable in the subject at all so I just left and gonna wait and see if the category is there when the permit arrives.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

eselskas wrote: »
    Then as I was leaving she tells me that I'll need to do the test (?) for A category (maybe she meant the full licence). So i left more confused than when I came in.

I'm positive she meant that in order to get an A full licence you'll have to take the test on a cat A bike. Meaning that if you bring your current bike, which conforms to the A2 rules, to take the cat A test, you will only be granted the cat A2 full licence regardless of having cat A on your permit.

In other words, you can't get a full A without leveling-up in terms of a cat A learner category, cat A IBT and taking the test on a cat A bike. Anything less and you'll be either not tested or you'll pass in a lower category inadvertently.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 eselskas

cantdecide wrote: »
    I'm positive she meant that in order to get an A full licence you'll have to take the test on a cat A bike. Meaning that if you bring your current bike, which conforms to the A2 rules, to take the cat A test, you will only be granted the cat A2 full licence regardless of having cat A on your permit.

In other words, you can't get a full A without leveling-up in terms of a cat A learner category, cat A IBT and taking the test on a cat A bike. Anything less and you'll be either not tested or you'll pass in a lower category inadvertently.

Thanks for replying and clarifying on that, makes sense now. Just got the learners permit in the post today, has A cat on it! So I presume I'll need to do 6 months of riding before I can take the full test for A cat. But I can already ride a 35kW+ bikes right? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

eselskas wrote: »
    Thanks for replying and clarifying on that, makes sense now. Just got the learners permit in the post today, has A cat on it! So I presume I'll need to do 6 months of riding before I can take the full test for A cat. But I can already ride a 35kW+ bikes right? :D

I dont think so. I'll also be adding a Category A to my permit.

Important information when issued with Learner Permit and
    wish to sit a driving test
    If you are granted a learner permit for vehicles in category A, A2,
    A1, AM, W or B and have not held a learner permit in the previous
    5 years, you must wait a period of 6 months before being able to sit
    a driving test. If you hold a full driving licence issued by a competent
    authority of another jurisdiction, in the same category as your
    learner permit, which shows that you have had an entitlement in
    that category for at least 6 months then you do not need to wait
    6 months before sitting a driving test.

https://www.ndls.ie/images/Documents/LearnerPermits/Learner%20Permit%20Application%20Guidance%20Notes.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

you can't ride anything on a cat a permit without doing an IBT

any confusion at all related to that was due to people moving from old permits to the new style and some people were left in a situation where their old permit allowed them to drive a 35kw bike on a new cat A permit

you have to do the IBT before you can ride any bike

Advertisement