Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Earphones not working

Options
  • 19-07-2017 2:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭

It's a small issue really but annoying all the same.

I bought a set of sony earphones at a shop (Dixons I think) in the airport in April. I think they cost €15. I've discovered that the left one is no longer working.

Can I do anything? Struggle on with one side or buy a new set??

As they were bought in the airport, chances of me returning them to the store are slim!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

As they were bought in the airport, chances of me returning them to the store are slim!

Wondered that recently, does a company have to come landside to deal with your consumer issues?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Wondered that recently, does a company have to come landside to deal with your consumer issues?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I go through four or five of these a year. All sorts of makes, not just Sony. A €15 set of headphones isn't designed to last more than a few months of regular usage. I had a pair last a year until very recently. They died on the same day as I commented to a friend how they were still working a year later :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

You get what you pay for unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭thebiglad

If purchased at Dixons Travel you can still take them to Currys PC World as if purchased there - they are in the same group.

So long as you have the receipt of course and subject to usual discussions as to how they came to now work :D

I did so with a Fitbit...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

Thanks thebiglad. Because I purchased them on my way to my holidays I doubt I have the receipt but I'll have a look and see what crap is at the bottom of my bag!!!

I literally have used them about 10 times since April so 'you get what you pay for' argument is invalid - I don't believe a €15 pair of headphones should last such little time! How much would you pay for a decent pair of earphones?!!!!! At that rate I'd be better robbing the crappy ones off those Hop on Hop off bustours!!!!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

How they were stored between the 10 uses can have a huge impact - the common tangled ball in a bag will destroy them in rapid time. €15 is cheap but its definitely not bottom of the market (Argos have branded ones for 6 quid and used to do own-brand for 3.99!); however I would imagine that without a receipt you aren't going to get anything.

L1011 wrote: »
    How they were stored between the 10 uses can have a huge impact - the common tangled ball in a bag will destroy them in rapid time. €15 is cheap but its definitely not bottom of the market (Argos have branded ones for 6 quid and used to do own-brand for 3.99!); however I would imagine that without a receipt you aren't going to get anything.

They probably were tangled (loosely!!) in a ball.

Without a receipt, they're still 'not fit for purpose' though and it has only been 2.5 months at most.......!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

They probably were tangled (loosely!!) in a ball.

Without a receipt, they're still 'not fit for purpose' though and it has only been 2.5 months at most.......!

Without a receipt you can't prove when or where you bought them so there's no hope whatsoever they will do anything.
    If you paid by card that's good enough as proof of purchase.

Without a receipt you can't prove when or where you bought them so there's no hope whatsoever they will do anything.
    If you paid by card that's good enough as proof of purchase.

I usually do, but I know I didn't at this particular time.

I understand I can't prove when or where I bought them, but theoretically, if it was an item more expensive than a pair of earphones, does the same logic still apply? What about being fit for purpose?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I understand I can't prove when or where I bought them, but theoretically, if it was an item more expensive than a pair of earphones, does the same logic still apply? What about being fit for purpose?

You always need proof of purchase. That doesn't have to be a receipt but a receipt is the one that's realistically undeniable.

If the item is an own brand for a specific range of shops (very few things are - most clothes brands with their own shops also have other retail outlets, so we're talking Alba electronics in Argos or Diall in B&Q etc) you have some basis for arguing it was bought there; but that's really an edge case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

You have to have proof of purchase, as said above if it's an own brand product the manager might allow it at their discretion but they don't have to.

Fit for purpose is completely different it's only your word that the item has lasted 2.5 months, hypotheticallly that item could have been sold for 5 years so how would anyone know when in those 5 years you bought it?
    Yes proof of purchase applies to everything no matter how much it costs, its written into consumer law.

Advertisement