Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Here's one for you...

I have a valid Canadian licence (not from one of the exempt provinces ones sadly), and an Irish Learner Permit.

I have been in Ireland as a student and currently hold a visa as a Stamp 1G. My total time has been nearly 3 years.

My future father in law was told by the RSA that I can drive with my Canadian licence without an accompanying driver as the 12 month period is of when the insurance for my vehicle started.

I and my fiance were told that the learner permit now takes precedence.

If the learner permit does take precedence, why allow you to keep your other licence? Even for driving in the EU I do not understand as if I have an Irish licence, would that not take precedence in Europe?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone!

They have no authority to take the Canadian licence from you.

A learner permit is not valid outside of the 26 counties of the Republic of Ireland. You cannot drive in the EU with this. You would however be able to using your Canadian licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

The learner permit would also not take precedence over a valid foreign full licence. An Irish full licence entitlement would take precedence from a country where no exchange agreement exists. If your Canadian entitlements do not originate from Ontario, Manitoba or Labrador/ Newfoundland, then your Canadian licence will be valid as long as it's current, in your possession and you are not permanently resident in Ireland. I don't believe any rule exists stipulating insurance dates and such.

Advertisement