Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alarm beeping issues

Options
  • 18-07-2017 7:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi,
    I'm new to this site and am wondering if anyone can help?
    My mother had eircom phonewatch alarm fitted yrs ago and I've stopped the monitoring a couple of yrs now. My issue is that the bloody panel keeps beeping and giving different faults each time 1) communication failure 2) battery low.
    I'm reluctant to contact phone watch as they look for call out charge etc.
    Is there anyway I can sort the problem myself and still use the alarm without the monitoring service?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

You could power it down completely by removing the mains fuse & the battery.
    If you want to continue using it you will need to request the engineer code of PW to remove the communication setting from the panel. Depending on which system it is you may be able to programme it up to call you directly.
    Or you could get another company out to reset it & reprogramme it and still save yourself money compared to PW charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Wifiltree

Thank you so much for the in formation, much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,643 ✭✭✭✭altor

Wifiltree wrote: »
    Hi,
    I'm new to this site and am wondering if anyone can help?
    My mother had eircom phonewatch alarm fitted yrs ago and I've stopped the monitoring a couple of yrs now. My issue is that the bloody panel keeps beeping and giving different faults each time 1) communication failure 2) battery low.
    I'm reluctant to contact phone watch as they look for call out charge etc.
    Is there anyway I can sort the problem myself and still use the alarm without the monitoring service?

Which system have you installed?

It's a Simon I think. Was installed in 2007. PW are looking for 300 euro to get engineer out. ��

Thanks for the reply annmarie,
    I'm gonna try get the code and go from there. It registers as a tampering alert if you don't have the correct codes so I have to be careful I'm doing it properly. PW are telling me it will be €95 to replace battery plus €200 for engineer call out charge!!
    I'll look into that guy you mention, Google will have his details I'm sure.
    Thanks again

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Either way shop around. You will get much cheaper rates than that.

Thanks for the reply annmarie,
    I'm gonna try get the code and go from there. It registers as a tampering alert if you don't have the correct codes so I have to be careful I'm doing it properly. PW are telling me it will be €95 to replace battery plus €200 for engineer call out charge!!
    I'll look into that guy you mention, Google will have his details I'm sure.
    Thanks again

That would be the higher end pricing for a simple fix.
    If you own the system you can request a waiver to get the engineer code.
    Either way its such a simple system to default and set back up.

How do i find out if we own the system? Would have thought we did, they gave me a 5 digit code over the phone to stop the beeping. Would that be the engineer code?

How do i find out if we own the system? Would have thought we did, they gave me a 5 digit code over the phone to stop the beeping. Would that be the engineer code?

If you lived in the house when the original system was installed they will deal direct with you.
    Its people who inherit the systems they dont help out with out a call out.
    I hope you took note of the code if they did :D

If you press the status button what does it say is the issue?

Yes I wrote down the code :D
    It's telling me system batery low and telephone communication failed.
    Yes we had the alarm installed ourselves.

• Advertisement

Yes I wrote down the code :D
    It's telling me system batery low and telephone communication failed.
    Yes we had the alarm installed ourselves.

Drop front lid on control panel and enter engineer code.
    It will say, please select from start menu.

Press, delete/option/04/done.
    Press, delete/option/05/done.
    Press, delete/option/06/done.

That takes care of the communication failure.

REW in ballymount supply the battery you need for the system.

If you delete press, option/01/done it will stop the trouble beeps.
    When you replace the Battery press, add/option/01/done to get the fault beeps back.

Thank you so much for the help I really appreciate it.
    I will follow your instructions and let you know how I get on. :D

Thank you so much for the help I really appreciate it.
    I will follow your instructions and let you know how I get on. :D

You're welcome, any problems let us know

• Registered Users Posts: 6 franlynch

We have the same issue. We are out of contract and not monitored and our Insurance Company are aware that we have an alarm but it's not monitored. The beeps are driving us to distraction and PW are of no help whatsoever. Any advice to disable the alarm totally

• Registered Users Posts: 6,569 ✭✭✭zg3409

Do not tell your house insurance you have an alarm if it's not working and serviced regularly. If you claim against your insurance for property loss they may not pay the claim as alarm was not maintained in accordance with regulations. The discount you get from insurance is because they only cover your contents while alarm is set, so often contents are not covered. Tell insurers you have no alarm. It's the safest.

I'm terms with of your question there are multiple brands of alarms from phone watch. If alarm is working you should use it every night and when away from home. Disabling alarm depends on type. Put up a few photos of keypad, control panel in hot press etc.

Notify insurer you no longer have an alarm.

Every alarm company will be cheaper than phone watch, ring a few for a quote.

Advertisement