Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

traffic from UK to Ireland down 7%

Options
  • 17-07-2017 11:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 993 ✭✭✭

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-and-tourism/number-of-british-travellers-to-dublin-airport-falling-like-a-stone-1.3158056

did Ryanair cancel or scale back many UK routes?
    If they still have the flights they will be filling them at any price and they couldn't have been leaving UK planes fairly empty otherwise their load factor as a whole would not have been 96% last quarter.

The other carriers who don't fill up their planes at any price must be suffering and many can't afford to discontinue routes as they'll lose their slots in the larger airports also sterling is much weaker than it has been for quite a while.

Which carriers are most dependent on the UK?
    IAG got hurt by currency to the tune of 148m euro in the first half year.
    http://www.iairgroup.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=240949&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=2189282

I'm trying to see a bright side and all I can think is that if there is shake out of routes that the Irish crews are kept rather than British crews as capacity will be taken out in the UK bases, not Irish but that is just a quess.

Anyone been on any unusually quiet flights between UK and Ireland recently?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

I doubt planes are flying back from the U.K. empty, at worst numbers maybe have scaled back a bit to similar to 2012/2013. Which still means the market is huge and airlines will make plenty of money on these routes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 993 ✭✭✭737max

I don't see it that way. I see it as a worrying omen. If the UK can't afford to fly then shortly afterward they can't afford to buy E.U. product and Ireland sells a lot of product in to UK and if Ireland sells less product the economy has less money to spend on flights to not only the UK but everywhere else too.

I don't want it but along with the bad tax figures we've seen in recent months one shouldn't be irrationally optimistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,674 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Yes some UK routes have been scaled back by FR because of a disagreement with the daa.

It looks like that 7% is largely referring to inbound visitors, I don't believe net UK-DUB figures are down that much year on year most months showed overall increase.

Economy's work in cycles and a 20% dip in £ to € was always going to dint numbers combined with a slow down in UK economy will always hit numbers but outbound numbers will have risen as have imports from the UK etc.

737max wrote: »
    I don't see it that way. I see it as a worrying omen. If the UK can't afford to fly then shortly afterward they can't afford to buy E.U. product and Ireland sells a lot of product in to UK and if Ireland sells less product the economy has less money to spend on flights to not only the UK but everywhere else too.

I don't want it but along with the bad tax figures we've seen in recent months one shouldn't be irrationally optimistic.

Yes the UK economy has slowed, however people are spending money, especially on travel. So there's no doubt they can afford to fly, I believe air travel in the U.K. is breaking records this summer for being (one of)the busiest ever. There are just an extraordinary amount of people travelling this summer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Doltanian

I'd consider this a reflection on the absolute ripoff that Ireland has become for any tourist. Why would any tourist bother to come to Ireland, €200 per night min for a hotel in Dublin plus €80 for a dinner for two and a few drinks would cost you €50 no bother. This same logic applies to Killarney and places also. Add in our horrible weather experience and the much weaker sterling and you'll find that price savvy brits are more likely to go to places like Spain, Greece etc. Ireland is the sort of country which would see you be unlikely to return to unless your earning at least €1,000 per week or equivalent.

• Advertisement

Doltanian wrote: »
    I'd consider this a reflection on the absolute ripoff that Ireland has become for any tourist. Why would any tourist bother to come to Ireland, €200 per night min for a hotel in Dublin plus €80 for a dinner for two and a few drinks would cost you €50 no bother. This same logic applies to Killarney and places also. Add in our horrible weather experience and the much weaker sterling and you'll find that price savvy brits are more likely to go to places like Spain, Greece etc. Ireland is the sort of country which would see you be unlikely to return to unless your earning at least €1,000 per week or equivalent.

I'm not saying Ireland isn't a rip off, but have you tried booking hotels in other European capital cities recently ? All at least €300+ per night for most rooms in fact Amsterdam I couldn't find anything less than €400 !

I don't know where you eat but dinner for two with starters and desert is reasonable at €80 especially when compared to the likes of London/Paris/Oslo/Stockholm etc.

Price of a pint in Paris is €8, Oslo its over €10, Geneva its €8+, London its €6+ so again on par.

Yes the weather is muck. No arguments there at all.

This isn't Spain/Portugal/Greece they aren't the same type of holidays so that is not a fair comparison. No one with any sense will come to Ireland expecting a spainish weather holiday 🙄.

Again I ain't saying Ireland isn't a rip off but if people keep paying for €1.50 bottles of water that french people can buy for 20c well then shops will still charge €1.50.

I'm not saying Ireland isn't a rip off, but have you tried booking hotels in other European capital cities recently ? All at least €300+ per night for most rooms in fact Amsterdam I couldn't find anything less than €400 !

I don't know where you eat but dinner for two with starters and desert is reasonable at €80 especially when compared to the likes of London/Paris/Oslo/Stockholm etc.

Price of a pint in Paris is €8, Oslo its over €10, Geneva its €8+, London its €6+ so again on par.

Yes the weather is muck. No arguments there at all.

This isn't Spain/Portugal/Greece they aren't the same type of holidays so that is not a fair comparison. No one with any sense will come to Ireland expecting a spainish weather holiday 🙄.

Again I ain't saying Ireland isn't a rip off but if people keep paying for €1.50 bottles of water that french people can buy for 20c well then shops will still charge €1.50.

Dublin is expensive, bust as you point out not far off some other European cities, what always shocks me is the price difference in supermarkets, Irish supermarkets are soo so expensive compared to other countries. If you're ever in the UK, Germany, France, Italy etc go into the supermarkets, even Denmark its not bad. But compared to to home the value they get is sickening

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Locker10a wrote: »
    Dublin is expensive, bust as you point out not far off some other European cities, what always shocks me is the price difference in supermarkets, Irish supermarkets are soo so expensive compared to other countries. If you're ever in the UK, Germany, France, Italy etc go into the supermarkets, even Denmark its not bad. But compared to to home the value they get is sickening

Its wildly product specific though. Meat can be very expensive compared to Ireland in the countries you've listed for instance. The product that nearly everyone mentions about supermarkets being cheaper is alcohol - and that's down to our duty mostly. Actual normal shopping basket comparisons show a much more minor difference.

Conversely our convenience stores are far cheaper than most of those countries - no €3 bottles of coke, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,674 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

I would consider it a typical Irish stereotype comment...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 993 ✭✭✭737max

L1011 wrote: »
    Meat can be very expensive compared to Ireland in the countries you've listed for instance.
    Irish beef appears to be cheaper in Germany than in Ireland from the marketing material for supermarkets which I receive in my letterbox but I haven't bought meat products in a long time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement