Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question re receiving BTEA a second time.

Options
  • 17-07-2017 11:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi all.

So here's my situation I hope some of you can help me out as I'm quite confused as to what I should do.

A couple years ago (2010/11) I attended 1 year of college and received the BTEA for the duration but had to drop out due to personal reasons, depression being a major deciding factor here. The course was a level 7.
    I went to work for a number of years but became unemployed again approx. 1.5 years ago again depression being a major factor here.

Anyway, I am currently 30 years of age and have been accepted onto another course I'm very keen on. I have the form for BTEA application and when I was down in the social welfare office last week the lady I was speaking to told me I am eligible for BTEA again due to there being a number of years since I was last in education. I believe she said 3 years but I could be wrong here.

Anyway, today I'm filling out the SUSI form and BTEA form and I wanted to check I had everything in order but I can't find any mention of the 3 year rule online on Citizens information of welfare.ie the lady told me about previously but there is a section that states you cannot receive BTEA again if you have previously dropped out from another course.

Can anyone confirm this is the case? And if so is it possible to apply for the maintenance grant then move onto the BTEA in second year?

I was thinking of applying for my SUSI fee's and also for the BTEA and just hope for the best and if unsuccessful perhaps to appeal the decision. If I am refused BTEA though is it possible to amend my SUSI application to request the maintenance grant instead?

Any advice on what course to take here would be a great help. I am really set on pursuing this course and I'll be gutted if I can't attend. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Caitnb

Hi all.

So here's my situation I hope some of you can help me out as I'm quite confused as to what I should do.

A couple years ago (2010/11) I attended 1 year of college and received the BTEA for the duration but had to drop out due to personal reasons, depression being a major deciding factor here. The course was a level 7.
    I went to work for a number of years but became unemployed again approx. 1.5 years ago again depression being a major factor here.

Anyway, I am currently 30 years of age and have been accepted onto another course I'm very keen on. I have the form for BTEA application and when I was down in the social welfare office last week the lady I was speaking to told me I am eligible for BTEA again due to there being a number of years since I was last in education. I believe she said 3 years but I could be wrong here.

Anyway, today I'm filling out the SUSI form and BTEA form and I wanted to check I had everything in order but I can't find any mention of the 3 year rule online on Citizens information of welfare.ie the lady told me about previously but there is a section that states you cannot receive BTEA again if you have previously dropped out from another course.

Can anyone confirm this is the case? And if so is it possible to apply for the maintenance grant then move onto the BTEA in second year?

I was thinking of applying for my SUSI fee's and also for the BTEA and just hope for the best and if unsuccessful perhaps to appeal the decision. If I am refused BTEA though is it possible to amend my SUSI application to request the maintenance grant instead?

Any advice on what course to take here would be a great help. I am really set on pursuing this course and I'll be gutted if I can't attend. Thanks.

Hi there....im just wondering how this worked out for you. I'm currently researching if I could get BTEA a second time and would love to find out how your situation ended?

Advertisement