Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile broadband options.

Options
  • 17-07-2017 4:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭

Hi. Using Three payg at the minute in my unlocked Huawei B593. Speeds are very slow lately. Also have fixed line broadband which is also very slow. So usage is mixed between the two. I am looking at trying networks other than Three to see if they fair better. Anyone recommend networks and available packages be it payg mobile broadband or sim only. Large allowances would be great, but as we have the fixed line backup and everyone in the house has mobile broadband on their phones, then we can live with decent allowances at good speeds. Replies can be made by PM if it's more suitable.

I know Three and Vodafone use their own networks. What about the other providers, what networks do they use?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭edgari0kas

yea something with tree everyone is complaining cant even watch tube twitch or etc bizmal not sure what they doing , well i know what they doing trafficking shaping but making it unusable for everyone for everything why .

look around here give u general idea : https://editorsean.com/articles/large-4g-plans-home-broadband-ireland/#eir

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Three a slow because they are unlimited. When everyone in the area cops the 20E/mo deal and shifts from fixed line the cell congests to all hell.

Vodafone used to be fast as they had strict limits, three canabalized the customer base and now they're coming down to meet them in the mud.

Meteor/eir may be decent depending on the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭gooner99

edgari0kas wrote: »
    yea something with tree everyone is complaining cant even watch tube twitch or etc bizmal not sure what they doing , well i know what they doing trafficking shaping but making it unusable for everyone for everything why .

look around here give u general idea : https://editorsean.com/articles/large-4g-plans-home-broadband-ireland/#eir

Thanks, will take a read at that.

ED E wrote: »
    Three a slow because they are unlimited. When everyone in the area cops the 20E/mo deal and shifts from fixed line the cell congests to all hell.

Vodafone used to be fast as they had strict limits, three canabalized the customer base and now they're coming down to meet them in the mud.

Meteor/eir may be decent depending on the area.

I can understand the 20 ayce being a big issue on bandwidth, which is fair enough. I guess a proper mobile plan would give better speeds, although they probably use the same masts which would make it unlikely. Can they slow individuals down for abusing the ayce?

That was a very good and informative read as were the other posts on this blog. Does editor Sean have a boards account?

• Advertisement

Having a look there and it seems that Three is throttling like hell, which is my experience. Grand on Youtube, but poor on other sites/downloads. Seems it is the same experience whether payg or mobile broadband. I'd imagine it's the same for all operators that piggyback on their network?

So that leaves Vodafone/Eir and Meteor for prepay broadband. Meteor seems to be the best bang for the buck after Three. Anyone using Meteor mobile broadband prepay sim. What's your experience?

Would I be right in saying that if you went for the 50gb on 180 days @ €30 and you use the 50gb within the 180 days, you can't top up and start another 180 days early, you would have to use some sort of add-on instead, which could prove quite costly?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Thread here about Meteor PAYG broadband if you want some more details.

I don't know what options they offer if the 50GB gets used up before 180 days but there is an option in mymeteor to "Select again" which implies you start a new 180 days once you've got enough credit. If that doesn't work just get another SIM from Meteor and use that instead.

gooner99 wrote: »
    I can understand the 20 ayce being a big issue on bandwidth, which is fair enough. I guess a proper mobile plan would give better speeds, although they probably use the same masts which would make it unlikely. Can they slow individuals down for abusing the ayce?

Loads of systems to do that but and threes terms allow for it but no sign of them ever actually doing so.

The platform providers can licence on a per feature basis so three may have cheaped out on paying for per user QoS channels.

ED E wrote: »
    Loads of systems to do that but and threes terms allow for it but no sign of them ever actually doing so.

The platform providers can licence on a per feature basis so three may have cheaped out on paying for per user QoS channels.

I see. From reading the throttling by three seems to be across the board, regardless of payg-ayce mobile sim or proper bill/payg mobile broadband.

Will try out Meteor prepay modile broadband in my b593 to see what the coverage and speeds are like.

Got the Meteor Prepay Mobile Broadband Sim. Went for the 50gb/180days for €30 option. Online support said I could top up again once the 50gb runs out, no need to wait for 180 days. 50gb should last me a month or so. Speeds are great all afternoon and still great this evening. Just ran one there now, 20 down/18up. Best so far was 45 down. 4 bars of signal. Very happy so far.

• Advertisement

what about virgin media 25 euro unlimited is it any good ? anyone tried it ?

I could be wrong, but I think that Virgin may be using the 3 network. This network has a lot of traffic, given the ayce offering. But on the other hand virgin may not be limiting the speeds in the same way 3 are.

mm might get meteor then need to last 8 to 9 moths till Ftth arrives

No texts from Bank Of Ireland, Park by Text, Paypal and so on means I and many others simply cannot consider them.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

might get meteor then need to last 8 to 9 moths till Ftth arrives

meteor are pants (well here in east clare they are) in the evening its slower than dial up i kid you not:cool:

Advertisement