Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good waterproof jacket

Options
  • 17-07-2017 3:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hey guys, as title, I'm looking for a good waterproof jacket for everyday use. Could you give some recommendations?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Stigura

Ye Really get what ye pay for, here. I paid about £165 for mine. Fifteen Years Ago! Worn it virtually daily since. Bone dry in the worst of rain storms. Not to heavy or hot for when it may shower on a sunny day :)

Brace yeself for Todays Price though! :eek:

And, I'd imagine this'll get moved somewhere, any time now .....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Just have some bin liners at the ready. Easily folded up and put away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭DontThankMe

What would ya need s waterproof jacket for?
    The sun is splitting the rocks!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 BloodySandwich

Yes it is now, but in next 2 -3 months skies will rain again, and price of this jacket on the amazon, just wow.. . Looking for something cheaper than 400 pounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Berghaus mac, under €100 and has done the job for me for 2+ years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭Dinarius

Stigura wrote: »
    Ye Really get what ye pay for, here. I paid about £165 for mine. Fifteen Years Ago! Worn it virtually daily since. Bone dry in the worst of rain storms. Not to heavy or hot for when it may shower on a sunny day :)

Brace yeself for Todays Price though! :eek:

And, I'd imagine this'll get moved somewhere, any time now .....

Totally agree.

I have a Berghaus Mera Extreme that I really only use for hill walking.

I think I've had it about 25 years. Cost me a fortune then. But, it's still like new.

It must be worn with an under jacket. E.g. A fleece. But, that's the beauty of it. You can vary the thickness of the under jacket depending on the weather.

D.

Thanks guys for the names of brands, now I can find something for me. If anyone has something I would really appreciate, thanks. I would buy that kind of jacket but short of money at the moment as I am a student, I don't have a car and I need something good for walking.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,591 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Army surplus stores usually stock good waterproof jackets for reasonable prices, if there's one near you I'd have a look.

Well I was thinking about shoes too, hahahaha.., can you also recommended something.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Oilers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭kev_s88

I've actually found that Canterbury's rain jackets are a very solid choice. Much lighter material than your standard heavy duty waterproof jacket, but ive used mine in every level of rain and never had a drop of water on my arms.

Much more reasonable price to, around the €60 mark

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Lyle Lanley

It's cheaper these days to fly south for winter.

Failing that, mountain warehouse do decent stuff.

BloodySandwich; So, ye just looking for a rain coat? For wandering around campus and through the city? Is that it?

If so, the bar drops! Twenty years ago now, I was in a town in england. Heavens opened. I ducked into an el cheapo, touristy sort of 'Outdoor' shop and grabbed me a " Dude Coat ". Purple and dark green, I think? Hooded. Sounded like a walking crisp packet and sweated like a sock in it. £15.00.

F**king thing's Still hanging by my door! Just the job for chucking on to go down to the stables, in a deluge. That sort of thing would do ye for about town.

Army Surplus has been mentioned. They do Gortex lined stuff. Have a look and listen.

Most important thing to remember here: £400 or £15. Water will Piss off them. Straight down ye f**king legs!!! Drenched denims are Vile!

Get yeself a pair of waxed leggin's. Cheap sh!t, on ebay, is worthless. I had a set of Barbour. Not bad. €70.00, they shouldn't have f**king been!!! Weren't fantastic either.

Just bought a new set, from england. - £40.00. Yet to even open the package. But, we'll see.

Feet? Dunlop Greens. Tenner a pair. Just don't tread on a stone! But, there ye are; Waterproof, on the bleeding heart student cheap. Alright for wandering to the library or lectures.

Want kit for serious outdoor sh!t? Ye can't afford it. Simples. Stay in doors and study.

TLDR? Ye can't afford it. Stay in doors and study.

The thing is that I don't live in the city, I have to take the train to get home and then I need to walk for around 15 min.

I need to walk for around 15 min.

:) The world's ye oyster then. But, I'd seriously suggest checking out any surplus GorTex lined stuff. Breathable, unlike the Dude Jacket, rubbery lined gear. Fifteen minute walk in that and ye could be knackered. Soaked in sweat as ye overheat.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭bliger

I have helly hansen dubliner jacket for 5 years and its still very good

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,029 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

Hey guys, as title, I'm looking for a good waterproof jacket for everyday use. Could you give some recommendations? Thanks
    Gore-Tex. Waterproof, windproof, breathable & rugged material. Outside jacket shell. Slightly larger size than needed. Dress in layers underneath. Cold more layers. Hot only shell. Have had one for years. Used in all climates. From beach to mountains. Summer through winter. Several brands use this material to make jackets. Surf web for best deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

London fog, “Name another raincoat.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Can't go wrong with a good wax jacket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Tilikum

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Superdry

70-120 quid for a decent one off them, best jacket I ever bought

• Registered Users Posts: 30,268 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I am always careful buying coats. I always make sure their not that heavy. I personally prefer a light water proof jacket. I never had an issue with standard waterproof jackets from general clothing shops. I had an about 20 minute walk to college before and I never really got wet. I didn't stand out in the rain tough.
    If your work involves a lot outdoor work you might need to look at a better quality one tough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Mod-Moved to the outdoor pursuits forum where you should get good answers. Please read the local charter before posting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

Craighoppers gear is good...I have a winter coat about ten years now and still going strong, was looking for a light rain coat for summer wear and found ideal ones in Debenhams from craighoppers reduced to half price or less.
    Depending on colours I picked one up for about 50 quid reduced from 112

http://www.debenhams.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/prod_10052_10001_51891+SCMW034+02_-1

Yes would prefer something light as well, thank you guys for your help and time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,000 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Yes would prefer something light as well, thank you guys for your help and time.

Crags are excellent performance wise and for their price range they are outstanding value, far better than many other dearer lines.

Advertisement