Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Issue with courier delivery

Options
  • 17-07-2017 12:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

I am having issues with a courier company and need some advice!

I ordered a package and delivery was attempted on Thursday July 7th. A card was left telling me to collect it at the "local" depot or re-schedule the delivery. The details on the card did not work on the courier's website, so I could not re-schedule the delivery.

I went to the depot to collect the package on Friday July 8th, but it was not there. Despite the card advising it was being left safely in the depot, the driver decided to take it with him again. There was nobody to accept the delivery, so another card was left. These details did not work with their website either.

I mailed the courier at the weekend and requested delivery on the Wednesday. They confirmed it would be delivered, however they didn't. I contacted them at lunchtime on the Wednesday but they did not respond until Thursday saying it would be re-delivered Friday. This didn't suit so I requested re-delivery today, which they confirmed. They copied the depot on the mail.

I mailed them again today to confirm the package would be delivered and the depot replied saying I had to collect it as they had attempted delivery twice. I am not in a position to get to the depot again before 6pm any day, and have tried to collect it there already so don't see why I should.

Any advice on how to proceed? At this stage I'm ready to request a refund from the supplier as the package has not been delivered.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭mikeybrennan

You're hardly ever available to accept the package.

It's not their fault

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

You dont need to chase this. The retailer does. Your contract is not with the courier.

Fastway yeah? They like to store packages in their own homes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

They've tried to deliver it three times and you haven't been available. I'm not sure why you're acting like they are at fault?
    Perhaps change the delivery address to someone who is available to accept it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Fairness lads what is the courier supposed to do, from what I see they have attempted delivery a number of times but OP is never there.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,143 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

ED E wrote: »
    You dont need to chase this. The retailer does. Your contract is not with the courier.

Fastway yeah? They like to store packages in their own homes.

Last week we had them throw a parcel marked "Handle with care" over the gate into our back lawn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭F00t13f4n

It's not their fault

Sorry, I could have made it clearer:

There was nobody there when they attempted the first delivery as I was not expecting it.

There was nobody there when they attempted the second delivery as they advised me I had to collect the package, so never arranged for someone to be there. The package was not at the depot for delivery - that's definitely their fault.

I can arrange for someone to be there if they tell me what day they will try to deliver it. There was someone there all last Wednesday and again today.

@ED E: No, it's actually not Fastway but I assume I can't name them here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

Have you tried calling the depot directly rather that emailing whoever it is your emailing and explaining what's going on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭mikeybrennan

F00t13f4n wrote: »
    Sorry, I could have made it clearer:

There was nobody there when they attempted the first delivery as I was not expecting it.

There was nobody there when they attempted the second delivery as they advised me I had to collect the package, so never arranged for someone to be there. The package was not at the depot for delivery - that's definitely their fault.

I can arrange for someone to be there if they tell me what day they will try to deliver it. There was someone there all last Wednesday and again today.

@ED E: No, it's actually not Fastway but I assume I can't name them here.
    Couriers just drop stuff off when it's out for delivery

You're expecting too much

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭F00t13f4n

Couriers just drop stuff off when it's out for delivery

You're expecting too much

I don't agree with this at all.

If delivery is attempted and not completed I expect to be able to re-schedule it at a time that suits both parties. If I go to the depot to collect the package as they requested, I expect the package to be there for collection. How is this expecting too much?

@notjustsweet The depot won't respond to my attempts to contact them

Am I right in assuming there's no regulator / control mechanism in Ireland for courier companies, does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Meeeee79

I've had similar situations with couriers and in the end had to get the drivers number from the depot to get any sense out of anyone as they dont seem to know whats going on with the drivers alot of the time!

surely there's a phone number available somewhere for them? If not I would contact the supplier who i ordered the goods from and see what they will do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Meeeee79 wrote: »
    I've had similar situations with couriers and in the end had to get the drivers number from the depot to get any sense out of anyone as they dont seem to know whats going on with the drivers alot of the time!

Nearly all drivers are self operated businesses. The "Company" is just a franchise. Some like UPS/DHL keep tabs on their franchisees, some like Nightline and Fastway couldn't give two hoots what these lads do with their good name.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

It's not their fault
    They've tried to deliver it three times and you haven't been available. I'm not sure why you're acting like they are at fault?
    Perhaps change the delivery address to someone who is available to accept it.
    _Brian wrote: »
    Fairness lads what is the courier supposed to do, from what I see they have attempted delivery a number of times but OP is never there.

If the courier twice provided contact details to schedule re-delivery, the OP tried to do so using those details, but they didn't work - how on earth is that the OPs fault?

Advertisement