Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New to Google Drive. Phone repopulated with old photographs.

Options
  • 17-07-2017 11:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I`ve always had my photos and documents stored on OneDrive but recently moved to Google Drive as I`ve realized its much cheaper. Any photos Ive uploaded from my phone to OneDrive in the past, I`ve then deleted from my phone as they are on the cloud.

Now that I`ve downloaded all my photos from OneDrive and put them to Google Drive, I`ve noticed that its synced with my phone (OnePlus X) and repopulated my phone with all the old photos that I had deleted from my phone.

My phone now says when I try to delete them from my phone library that if i do this, that they will also be deleted from Google Drive which I obviously don`t want.

Is there any workaround on this? Having them stored on Google Drive but not the phone?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,722 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

subscriber wrote: »
    Hey,

I`ve always had my photos and documents stored on OneDrive but recently moved to Google Drive as I`ve realized its much cheaper. Any photos Ive uploaded from my phone to OneDrive in the past, I`ve then deleted from my phone as they are on the cloud.

Now that I`ve downloaded all my photos from OneDrive and put them to Google Drive, I`ve noticed that its synced with my phone (OnePlus X) and repopulated my phone with all the old photos that I had deleted from my phone.

My phone now says when I try to delete them from my phone library that if i do this, that they will also be deleted from Google Drive which I obviously don`t want.

Is there any workaround on this? Having them stored on Google Drive but not the phone?

Thanks

They're not stored on the phone, they're stored in the cloud afaik.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

Hey,

Thanks

For Photo's you really need to use Google Photo's. It uses the same storage quota as Drive (if stored at full quality) or can take unlimited photos (if stored at high quality setting).

It works perfectly to free up space on your phone, but keep all photos available to your phone via the cloud.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,918 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Hey,

Thanks

You're looking in Photos which is the Google app check for Gallery and it'll have your phone pictures

• Registered Users Posts: 11,925 ✭✭✭✭GBX

With the Google Photos app - it gives the option to put the pics in the cloud to free up phone space, but they are instantly available through the app.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

GBX wrote: »
    With the Google Photos app - it gives the option to put the pics in the cloud to free up phone space, but they are instantly available through the app.

Provided there is an active data connection.

They're not downloaded to your phone, merely availableThis to view online through the Photos app. As suggested, use the Gallery app to look at phone only photos or go into Photos, then Device folders, then Camera

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭subscriber

Thanks everyone,

I had and have been using the Google photos app up until now. Should the old photos that went back onto the phone be stored on the cloud as opposed to the phone, then good and well.... I don`t need to worry about them taking up memory on the phone itself.

Second issue really would be that when I moved all my photos to Google Drive, and they appeared back on my phone, they went on to the phone completely scrambled, in no particular order. There is photos that are years old randomly mixed in with recent photos and vice versa. Absolutely no order in which they seem to appear, just completely jumbled.

Any way I can put them back in order of most recent to oldest on when they were taken?

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

Thanks everyone,

I had and have been using the Google photos app up until now. Should the old photos that went back onto the phone be stored on the cloud as opposed to the phone, then good and well.... I don`t need to worry about them taking up memory on the phone itself.

Second issue really would be that when I moved all my photos to Google Drive, and they appeared back on my phone, they went on to the phone completely scrambled, in no particular order. There is photos that are years old randomly mixed in with recent photos and vice versa. Absolutely no order in which they seem to appear, just completely jumbled.

Any way I can put them back in order of most recent to oldest on when they were taken?

Thanks again.

Google Photo's relies heavily on the exif data from the photo e.g. the 'Date Taken'. If these are always populated correctly then Google Photo's will display in order taken; new to old.
    If any old photo's have this data messed up then that's likely to be the issue in Google Photo's.
    It may be worth downloading to a computer first, fixing all 'Date Taken' data and then uploading to Google Photos via https://photos.google.com/.

Advertisement