Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tax back on Pension Contributions

Options
  • 17-07-2017 10:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

Just wonding if theres a thread on Pension forms etc in terms of a) how many years back can I go to claim back the tax , I dont pay at source, and b) name of the form I need, and c) how much of a lump sum can i put in, is it a function of salary,

sorry if all of this has been delt with in the past...

Rich
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

It's usually granted at source, so you may already have received the relief. Why do you think a refund is due?

You say you don't pay at source, what does this mean? Not paying tax = relief. It all goes on P60 form for me (self-employed).

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

1/. 6 years I believe.
    2/. RAC is what you'll need for a PPP. Similar for a PRSA bu it'll have a different name probably.
    3/. There are age related maxima.

As always I'd suggest you get professional advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

It's 4 years you can go back. So 2013 at the moment can still be claimed.
    As Henry above said it's the RAC form that you need.
    I recently put a pension plan in place in a company I am financial controller for and one of the poor employees had being paying into a personal.pension for about 10 years and never knew about the tax relief.
    Paying about 300 a month in for 10 years so he lost about 8000 in unclaimed relief for the first 6 years but managed to get it back for last 4 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭raspberrypi67

bmwguy wrote: »
    It's 4 years you can go back. So 2013 at the moment can still be claimed.
    As Henry above said it's the RAC form that you need.
    I recently put a pension plan in place in a company I am financial controller for and one of the poor employees had being paying into a personal.pension for about 10 years and never knew about the tax relief.
    Paying about 300 a month in for 10 years so he lost about 8000 in unclaimed relief for the first 6 years but managed to get it back for last 4 years.

Jesus, talk about bad advice. At least I knew I could get the tax back, anyway, only have to go back to 2015 TG!
    Thanks for the info.

By the way the RAC form, where do I get this and does it have the total in terms of payments I made, assuming this form comes from the pension provider??
    One more question, I know , for instance, I can put in say 10K for the previous year, say last year, into my pension, and then claim back 4K almost immediately . How does the back date work?

Cheers

Tks again BMWGUY!

Advertisement