Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Occupational therapy work experience

Options
  • 17-07-2017 12:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi everyone!

This year I will be going into leaving cert and afterwards I am hoping to study occupational therapy. My problem is that points are quite high and although I may manage them, I can't be 100% sure that I will. If I fail to make it into UCC or NUIG, Scotland will have to be my next option. I have to apply quite early to the Scottish universities as I have to go over to sit an interview. One requirement of the British universities is that I find 2-3 days of work experience with a qualified OT. Doesn't sound like a lot, right?
    Well, it's not but I'm still finding it impossible to be taken on, even for a day anywhere and I'm kind of at a loss as for where to look next. The reasons I'm getting for not being taken on are either;
    a) You must be currently studying OT for us to take you,
    b) We can't take you because of patient confidentiality ( Which I do totally understand)

I'm just wondering could anyone help me out or give me some ideas of places to try? I'm from Tipperary but I am definitely willing to travel!

Thanks so much in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Clopal

I was lookin into doing that course do, and just to let you know you can do it in Northern Ireland if you didn't want to move to Scotland! Defiantly worth a shot applying to the north 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Zubby101

Hi, i know this is kinda off topic but like I'm really interested in occupational therapy myself and I'm planning on studying it in TCD. However, I heard that OT jobs in Ireland are limited and its really hard to find one. And this for me is a major concern. Would you happen to know anything about this or have any information?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 MkaylaK

Hey! Unfortunately, I've heard the same thing as you, limited jobs and a competitive field to get into.
    Personally, this doesn't bother me as I am more than willing to travel and I plan on following the jobs rather than the job come to me for a while (until I get reasonable experience) and then I'll see what happens.
    The way I would look at it is that there is OT jobs out there, even in Ireland. It is an increasingly sought after profession because looking at places like America, it is common to have OTs in schools and I'm sure that we will follow suit here.
    I have heard of people not being able to get jobs, but there is always the possibility of opening up a private practice after gaining enough experience (Thrive OT in Clones is a fantastic example!)
    Sorry I can't be of more help, but maybe searching for OT jobs currently in Ireland on sites like Indeed.com might give you a better idea of what's available.

Best of luck!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Zubby101

Thanks I appreciate the advice!!

MkaylaK wrote: »
    Hey! Unfortunately, I've heard the same thing as you, limited jobs and a competitive field to get into.
    Personally, this doesn't bother me as I am more than willing to travel and I plan on following the jobs rather than the job come to me for a while (until I get reasonable experience) and then I'll see what happens.
    The way I would look at it is that there is OT jobs out there, even in Ireland. It is an increasingly sought after profession because looking at places like America, it is common to have OTs in schools and I'm sure that we will follow suit here.
    I have heard of people not being able to get jobs, but there is always the possibility of opening up a private practice after gaining enough experience (Thrive OT in Clones is a fantastic example!)
    Sorry I can't be of more help, but maybe searching for OT jobs currently in Ireland on sites like Indeed.com might give you a better idea of what's available.

Best of luck!!

I would not be optimistic about OTs getting jobs in schools as coming from a teaching background I can tell you funding has been pulled on all but the basics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 MkaylaK

I would not be optimistic about OTs getting jobs in schools as coming from a teaching background I can tell you funding has been pulled on all but the basics.

You could be right but I'll remain hopeful!! In any case, it's a good excuse for a bit of travelling!

Advertisement