Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safe places to Kayak in the West for a sit on top

Options
  • 16-07-2017 11:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭

Hey folks, i'm a new to Kayaking and I'm looking for spots that I can paddle for an hour or two. I've a sit on top, so I'm thinking lakes and canals. I've found that Loughrea is great for me to bring the nephew (8 Yrs old) that I know is safe and easy to splash about in the shallows for example. I'm heading to Cong in a few days (I've mates there who're into angling and local so I'll get some tips there) but just wondering if any folks have some favorites they'd like to share. I'd be mighty obliged ;)

Just so ye know, I did do a level 2, and will not be alone, but I want to build up experience slowly so...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

Right, I see we've loads to share :o, so I decided to pop up to Cong because my mates husband is a local angler who knows every rock in the lake so...

We launched at Lisloughrey where the Corrib cruises leave from, hugged the shore to the right for about 1km to Ashford Castle (we were able to paddle under the bridge into the Cong river and had a mooch in what looked like a tunnel (the beginning of the canal to lough mask that was abandoned in the 1850's).

Now as it turns out, it's very difficult to get near Ashford Castle as a regular joe but, on Kayaks... After that we popped out to one of the little cluster of islands (Illaundaragh) where there was a little spot to pull up and there were a few logs around the remains of a campfire but we just had our wee snack. Over all we were the bones of 2.5 hours on the water, got a bit of colour on the legs (needed sunblock the day that was in it, I'd highly recommend it as a great SOT first outing.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

I'm afraid I'm not much help as I'm closer to the East coast and bring my SOT out from Howth regularly for fishing. Looks like you had a great day out on yours though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

I did, it was mighty, had hoped to bring another friend out today but it's not great weather. I've discovered that met.ie has a handy 'inland lakes forecast' page and just to add to the info kayarchy.com have a good guide on reading wind conditions for kayaking.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

I'm afraid I'm not much help as I'm closer to the East coast and bring my SOT out from Howth regularly for fishing. Looks like you had a great day out on yours though.

Ever get much joy casting from a SOT?

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭WildWater

Greaney, another trip that you might consider would be to launch at Greenfields and paddle north to the Ballycurran lighthouse. It would be about 2.75km each way. The lighthouse is, I believe, the only inland lighthouse in Ireland. It is an interesting structure and makes a good destination for a picnic.

Nearer to Galway, Ballinduff bay is a nice spot for a leisurely paddle. It's more or a paddle about location as any destination from here would be a good distance. Easy to launch at Luimnagh pier.

A longer hike with more open water would be Kilbeg to Luimnagh. This would be about 7km. Unless you want to paddle back you would need someone to meet you at Luimnagh!

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

MugMugs wrote: »
    Ever get much joy casting from a SOT?

Oh yes! I've fly fished and spun from it, both with success. It's a fantastic way to fish once the weather plays ball.

Advertisement