Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Haggling on 2 grand purchase

Options
  • 16-07-2017 10:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭

I'm getting few bits and bobs for my flat. Went into Powercity today, got a salesman and asked for a 'special package price' because I intend to spend over 2k. (tv, fridge, hob, oven, washing machine)

All he did was picking out the things on screen and blurbing about the discounts already applied to products (actual price tags) and in the end, oh this much the total amount(not a cent off store price) and €70 charge for delivery. But wait, I can offer a free delivery. Which I think is nothing as going online once all the items added their website shows free delivery anyway.

I wonder was it me not being a cheeky one or the shops can't be bothered getting a 2k purchase in one go?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tracey turnblad

Tell him you will get back to him your gonna shop around...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Autochange

Honestly nowadays its not a huge figure. Did you try somewhere else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭mikeybrennan

Hardly a consumer issue oip

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

I'd imagine Powercity don't have huge mark up, they're all about volume.

How much would your picks have cost at another electrical supplier?

If Powercity were already cheaper then you can't get blood from a stone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭padyjoe

Ok, thanks!

I thought it's a big enough spend to get few bob off the total. (Blowing a cash what average joe is likely to earn monthly in 5 mins is not a pocket money to me.)

No, I haven't tried anywhere else yet, this was first attempt and got no results at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

Try a local place. They are far more likely to deal

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

PCeeeee wrote: »
    Try a local place. They are far more likely to deal
    But often you start with higher prices, and 10% off might still leave them higher.

You need to check the prices in a few places.

Some of the larger outfits allow their staff to give discounts. Harvey Norman used to, but I don't know what their current practice is.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Tried to get a cash discount from powercity no joy. One trick I tried with them was to put my details and order on the system walk up to front to pay but just leave. Got call later that day asking what happened , I said I needed a better deal, so they knocked €30 off. It was 930 ish down to 900.

But often you start with higher prices, and 10% off might still leave them higher.

Some of the larger outfits allow their staff to give discounts. Harvey Norman used to, but I don't know what their current practice is.

Absolutely check the prices. Then go in and point out the disparities. Nicely. You may be surprised.

My local place was happy to price match the big places and also knocked a few quid off if I bought the lot there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Tails142

pricespy.ie

Tracks prices with retailers, also lets you see the price history. Cuts out the haggling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Their current practice is to have a "Sale" every blooming week:D.

Tails142 wrote: »
    pricespy.ie

Tracks prices with retailers, also lets you see the price history. Cuts out the haggling.

With respect Tails. If you're spending 2 grand ish that is the starting spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Why buy everything in the same place? Apart from delivery there's not much of an advantage. Shop around.

€2k isn't a huge amount when you consider some people spend that on the tv alone.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Why buy everything in the same place? Apart from delivery there's not much of an advantage. Shop around.

€2k isn't a huge amount when you consider some people spend that on the tv alone.

My experience was that they would match anything they were behind on. Plus a few quid off the final bill. 2k may not be a huge amount but it is to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,345 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I suspect that they get tyre kickers all the time promising to spend xxx and attempting to use the carrot of more business to get a discount on a single item.

What you probably need to do is walk in with a list of items, know their list prices in that store, have an idea what discount you want (be reasonable), tell the salesperson the aggregate price you want and if he/she meets that price, you will give him/her the order there and then.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,345 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

sugarman wrote: »
    Id actually suggest getting onto Richersounds, theyve their own forum on here and are very helpfull and might knock a wee bit off on what already is a better deal than any bricks and mortar here.

Apart from a TV, what the OP is looking to buy ('fridge, hob, oven, washing machine') you can't buy in Richersounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Should have tried asking another salesperson if they were willing to give a discount. I've been given discounts by the sales staff in Power City just by asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

colm_mcm wrote: »

You can haggle on anything in any country, I've haggled a bit of money here and there for everything from Wifi Routers to flatscreen tellies in a bunch of countries.

Never hurts to ask and there is plenty of competition to choose from.

You just need to do a bit of research, asking for a discount without having some idea of the margin is a waste of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Should have tried asking another salesperson if they were willing to give a discount. I've been given discounts by the sales staff in Power City just by asking.
    I would go to older salesmen who might have more authority to do so, or ones who just generally look more in charge.

I have twice gotten a "discount" in powercity, it was not really a discount though, I saw the items online, went into buy them, saw a higher price and said it was cheaper online and they immediately said they would give it at the online price. -So if they do offer a discount it might be simply the online price.

Some items may be about to be reduced and so they might be able to give discounts on some but not others. You might get a discount on "shop soiled" stuff if you ask.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Very little mark up on electronics. You'd have more chance with furniture

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

Try did. Always found them better

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

amtc wrote: »
    Try did....
    I didn't cop immediately what that meant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Fanny Wank

Tried a few places when buying TV, soundbar and a few other bits.

DID was the only place that gave anything but buttons off.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭whippet

The mark up on that stuff is probably in the region of 5-7% for power city ... so not much room for discounting if they still want to make money.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭shane.

whippet wrote: »
    The mark up on that stuff is probably in the region of 5-7% for power city ... so not much room for discounting if they still want to make money.
    The margins on white goods would be way higher than that, closer to 20-25%.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭whippet

shane. wrote: »
    The margins on white goods would be way higher than that, closer to 20-25%.

Not in the likes of power city

Branded electronics are always on very tight margins ... power city will make money on shipping volume

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

When moving into our house we had to get a few things for the kitchen: fridge/freezer, dishwasher, cooker and extractor fan. Tried a few places, and eventually went with the local Expert. Decent appliances and price, and we got a decent discount. Also got an upgrade on the fridge as the one we ordered wouldn't have been in stock for 3 weeks and when we said we'd need it before then the sales guy gave us the upgrade at no extra cost. We've been back a few times to get other stuff such as a sound system and hoover, and always receive a discount. I think it really very much depends on where you go and who you talk to. Some places are better than others. The last time I was in PowerCity we were given a discount on the washing machine, but just the discount that brought it down to match the price online, nothing more. So I'd say shop around and see what you get offered.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,414 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Try Armagh electricals. I've always found them a lot cheaper than any bricks and mortar in Dublin and they have a fantastic delivery service.
    They were recommended to me on here too.

https://www.armaghelectrical.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭mikeybrennan

What's the situation with warranty up north

Can you still get free warranty callouts on washing machines and the like?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭shane.

whippet wrote: »
    Not in the likes of power city

Branded electronics are always on very tight margins ... power city will make money on shipping volume

Your wrong, they are definitely making those margins

Advertisement