Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Android phone on market €500-600

Options
  • 16-07-2017 5:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭

My Samsung galaxy s6 is on its last legs so looking to change up, anyone have suggestion on what to go for. Particularly looking for a decent camera

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

s7 or s7 edge maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

Currently have a Galaxy S5 which is almost 3 ears old and getting a little slow. I was looking st the V20 and a possible stretch to the new G6 but not sure if an upgrade is worth my while yet. Anyone upgraded from an S5 to either of the LG's?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Cotts72

Was considering one of s8 , opo5, u11 or the LG6.. Depending on whether i could source them at a decent price

• Registered Users Posts: 7,718 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Increase your budget by 50e and you can get the HTC 11... one of the best phones out there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

You cannot have a thread with this budget and not mention the OnePlus 5

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭Xterminator

the one plus 5 would IMO be head and shoulders above any other phone in this category.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

the one plus 5 would IMO be head and shoulders above any other phone in this category.

How can you say that? I understand it has the SD 835, but so do plenty of other phones. The battery is good, but not the best, the screen is only 1080p.

The S8 or the Huawei Mate 9 are superior handsets.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭Xterminator

to answer your question, i work in the IT dept of my firm so i get hands on many phones but dont get to keep them!!

i cannot buy a galaxy s8 for under 500-600 sim free from one of my suppliers. its about 700 on komplett for the 64 gb model.
    But the one plus 5 128gb model is 559. so it wins on price.

one plus has twice the ram, 8gb vs 4gb & better battery and twice the storage. its camera has a better spec.

galaxy screen is better specs, but in hand i didn't notice much difference in casual use. The human eye can only see so many pixels!

both seem to have similar processor type, both gorilla glass 5 - sturdy. both based on nougat.

both have that quality feel, eg flagship phones.

so all in all, one plus 5 come out on top for me, and by a distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Cotts72

to answer your question, i work in the IT dept of my firm so i get hands on many phones but dont get to keep them!!

i cannot buy a galaxy s8 for under 500-600 sim free from one of my suppliers. its about 700 on komplett for the 64 gb model.
    But the one plus 5 128gb model is 559. so it wins on price.

one plus has twice the ram, 8gb vs 4gb & better battery and twice the storage. its camera has a better spec.

galaxy screen is better specs, but in hand i didn't notice much difference in casual use. The human eye can only see so many pixels!

both seem to have similar processor type, both gorilla glass 5 - sturdy. both based on nougat.

both have that quality feel, eg flagship phones.

so all in all, one plus 5 come out on top for me, and by a distance.

Great insight there, may have just swayed me onto the one plus one. I have spotted an s8 on eglobal for 580 that was the only reason I considered it! What's your opinion on the HTC u11

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,722 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Galaxy 8 can be got on Amazon for less than 600.

I'd probably go for that if you're looking for the best camera.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭RIchieNouveau

Cotts72 wrote: »
    Great insight there, may have just swayed me onto the one plus one. I have spotted an s8 on eglobal for 580 that was the only reason I considered it! What's your opinion on the HTC u11

I haven't used an OP5 but I own a OP3T. Camera specs are impressive. Camera in use is awful. Much worse than a Galaxy S5, I actually gave the nearly 3 year old S5 to my wife and now she's the family photographer because the 3T can't take pics of living things without blurring them. So if the camera is important to you I'd be cautious. Camera is the only weak link though, it'd be hard to go back to Samsung because everything else about the 3T is amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

A lot of people seem to be buying S8's from Amazon Italy for below 600. You can also get an LG G6 for stupidly cheap on eglobal if you want to deal with them.

I have a OnePlus 5 myself and loving it. Super fast clean android experience, though I don't care too much about camera so S8 would probably be your best bet for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

It's a matter of opinion as well.
    There'll be no "best" phone, but there may be the "perfect" phone that suits you.

So for example, personally, I'd never go near a Samsung phone or tablet. Being someone who makes apps on them and uses a lot of devices over the course of my job, I just had too many problems with them.
    But every phone will have its problems. None are without at least 1 niggling issue.

For what its worth, the 2 brands in my house are HTC and OnePlus. I prefer the HTC over the OnePlus. Although if you get the new HTC, get a case!!

Advertisement