Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

summer holidays

• 16-07-2017 5:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

Why are the holidays so long? my teenagers are bored already, any clubs we find cost an arm and a leg, and at the moment I have 3 glued to laptops, suggested driving to the beach and got silence,

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Agreed. I don't know what people with teenagers do for the summer. At least with smaller kids there's plenty of summer camps, but once they reach the age of 12 they all stop. We both work full time, I've already used up most of my annual leave for this year and my husband can't really get time off in July/August as it's peak holiday season So we've a bored 13 year old in his granny's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,676 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

send them off to Irish college, thats 3 weeks, 2 week family holiday, after that do they not just hang out?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭shel64

Unfortunately one is dyslexic and doesn't do languages, holiday is out for this year as we are waiting to complete on buying a house which has had more obstacles than the steeplechase, and as we have just moved here and are staying in rented till the house sale completes they don't know anyone,,except themselves and God forbid they have to hang out with each other,,,,,,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,618 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Never any bother here 14yo is always baking, reading or doing crafty stuff with younger sister.
    Out in garden, water fights, trampoline swings etc.

Then there's jobs for pocket money, cleaning, laundry, weeding, washing hoovering cars.

Younger is 9 and did a week of horsey camp for €45, has another camp but I'm not sure what that costs, think it's ~€60, some arty thing.

Elder is off to Irish College for 2 weeks.

Then last thing in August we have 2 weeks in France.

The holidays are great, just wish we could be off more with them.

For those with teens stuck on laptops. How about introducing them to some of the online coding stuff, at least it would be constructive.
    Or turn off the wi-fi ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,619 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

http://www.museum.ie/Visit-Us/Events
    https://dublin.sciencegallery.com/events

The above are all free.

Asking do they want to go to the beach because you may be irritated at how bored they are wont really work as it a bit negative.

Give them two choice, choice (A) or choice (B) but no choice to spend all day on social media it need to be presented in a positive fun way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,817 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I never really got bored during my Summer Holidays and all I did was hang around with friends!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,581 ✭✭✭Shpudnik

I don't get how some teens can't find things to do during the summer. I'm always busy either finding work to do for pocket money or hanging with friends. I also have turf to save so that's a good few weeks of work over the summer. It's just stupid people who stay inside all the time on computers playing videos games or watching t.v.

Shpudnik wrote: »
    It's just stupid people who stay inside all the time on computers playing videos games or watching t.v.

That's what some people enjoy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,581 ✭✭✭Shpudnik

That's what some people enjoy!

I think it's a waste of a summer. When the weather is nice they should be outside being active. It's ok in the winter but I don't think they should be allowed to that in the summer.

I sound like my dad :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭shel64

maybe if they had friends to hang round with it would be fine,sadly at the present time they don't, we have just moved here, and already I have paid for 3 camps, and now they are off on holiday for a week to north Africa with their older brother, they have volunteered to help with a friend on a farm hopefully that will come through, and also the girls have offered to help out in a charity shop in a town 15 miles away, but as for Dublin 200 miles from here,,,,,nie idea though for a day

• Advertisement

What part of the country are you actually in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 453 ✭✭Lobsterlady

My 14 yr old boy, almost 15 has taken up airsoft. 6 hours every Saturday running through the woods playing soldiers with teams leaves him exhausted and in brilliant form! All organised and well run by a local club.
    A spin off of this is that he and his friends meet up in the week and do little mock battles in the garden and surrounding fields, trying out different tactics etc. I'm just glad he is outside and getting exercise, otherwise he is glued to the PC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 145 ✭✭AidanadiA

I just have the one but I've teamed up with her best friends mum and between us we've done the beach, a hike through the forest, movie days with bad weather. Today they are having a BBQ in the friends house.

We also planed home improvements so last weekend was spent laying floor and painting, though I get renting this might not be possible.

A list of work to be done gets put up on the fridge every Monday with treats as rewards. Cheap Movie nights in Vue on a Tuesday or Odeons bargain Wednesday's.
    Photo shoots, bike rides, body painting, museums, nature parks, mountains, rivers. There are so many things to do.

Go a bit creepy if you want find the oldest grave in a really old grave yard. Do an etching of the head stone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

Swimming with their friends works well here.

Advertisement