Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The EU's 'Roam like home' is a lie

Options
  • 16-07-2017 4:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭

I roam extensively and have SIM cards issued by several networks - so I can be 'local' to the people I do business with etc.

If you have 4G or 4G+ roaming on your home network, when roaming you will often find you are stuck in 2G or 3G data or HSPA+ at best. In other words, roamers are in junk infrastructure territory. Like internet of things devices. (I laugh to myself when I read ejit journos write of the need for 5G for internet of things. In reality IoT devices rely on GPRS and similar). Despite the fact that if one has a SIM card issued in another EU country, and use it on the same phone, you will get 4G+ or at least 4G - and 'back home' you are paying for 4G or 4G+. If it is 'roam like home' you should get home data speeds.

The only thing that works with the EU's roam like home consistently is that if you are in the European Space (eg EU + LI, NO etc) incoming calls are free for the recipient. Everything else is mangled into an EU + network operator con trick.

The other racket I have come across lately is T-Mobile Amerika. One has to have a US credit card to use T-Mobile's international tourist visiting America plan! https://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/prepaid-international-tourist-plan Presumably so that the NSA can track one's movements in the US via a payment card number. T-Mobile is an EU based company is helping one of the main actors in creating the 'terrorism problem' (eg bombing Iraq, Sudan, Libya etc) mainly in an idiotic oil grab. Which in turn has unleashed on Europe a massive migration problem from this part of the world. A problem which is mainly dumped on Italy and Greece (Countries that can least afford to manage this mega movement of victim peoples.) Meanwhile, the US's Anglo-Saxon cousins (GB) refuse to join Schengen, and attempt to depart from the EU free of charge (to keep these brown people out of their white culture). After creating the migration problem with the US. And probably most GB subjects want to hold on to the EU's 'roam like home' - instead of paying GBP 2.00+ per minute for calls in or out while roaming in the rest of the EU.

Perhaps the EU should try and 'earn its keep' by imposing a EUR 10.00 per minute minimum roaming charge for calls in and out when holders of GB SIM cards dare to enter the EU after Brexit!

I have found one EU mobile operator who provides 4G+ roaming in selected countries. But they are an exception to the rule of con mobile roaming.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,417 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I got 4G in Spain, very good speeds

• Registered Users Posts: 10,187 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

You can't even get 4G in parts of Ireland with your own network and you somehow want them to guarantee it in every part of the EU?

Best of luck with your crusade

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Theres a lot of truth to this. Vodafone Ireland 4g roaming is being throttled. I now live abroad and when I use my Irish sim for data on the same network as my home sim its extremely slow under 1mb/s.

Things do actually seem to be worse now.

Yes being given bigger allowances is great, but when the speeds are throttled back to give home customers priority its bad.

Advertisement