Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CRYPTO MINING AND MY SEARCH FOR A 1070

Options
  • 16-07-2017 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I recently decided that I was gonna treat myself to a new GPU. Not being to up to date with all the cards out there some friends advised on an MSI GTX 1070 Frozr Z... I had a quick look at some websites and seen a decent price... thought to myself I'll get it on payday. In a matter of weeks prices have rocketed and I cant even find a supplier who has them in stock due to something called crypto mining. Can anyone explain what this is?! And also is this going to be a short lived thing or will mid range cards continue to rise... feel to just stick with what I have now rather than pay €100 more... any help will be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Have a google for Bitcoin. This new craze is Ethereum which is a very similar technology.

There are two things coming soon-ish that will hopefully crash the market/profitability and normalize the GPU market or even flood it and tank prices.

A. Difficulty spike - Inevitable, based on number of people in the game
    B. Proof of stake - When the developers introduce it.

TLDR: For now, good cards are too expensive to bother with. If you're on really old hardware going to old-ish hardware is an ok plan in the interim, but if you've already got something decent just wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Blackheart78

Thanks for the reply....I think I'll wait a while and see what happens...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

The arse fell out of the crypto currencies over the past month. Bitcoin down 30% over the month. ethereum down 20% overnight and down 50% in the past 2 weeks.

Could be some sweet gaming cards on sale soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Oh I hadnt checked it this month.

QEsmuB1.png

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

This guy will take €380 for a 980 Ti, if you're impatient.
    http://www.adverts.ie/13303844

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Impatient types and those easily panicked have started to try flog their cards so there might be some used bargains (or at least decent prices) to be had soon.
    Note however thanks to the news Bitcoin likely wont split on Aug 1st, the market is rebounding significantly all day.

Advertisement