Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3DMark Weirdness

Options
  • 16-07-2017 1:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭

So today I just upgraded from an i3-6300 on a stock cooler to an i5-7600k on a Corsair H80 (OC'd to 4.4ghz). Been running some tests and temps etc are excellent but I came across something weird.

I got a lower Graphics score in FireStrike - 12,747 - than I did with the old set up - 14,239. The GPU is the same RX480 8gb reference.

The overall score is up from 9,678 to 10,354 thanks to the vastly improved physics score but it strikes me as odd that the graphics score dipped??

Average FPS in the graphics tests down from 67.22 and 57.38 respectively to 57.99 and 53.07

Anyone any idea what's going on?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,165 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

What's the memory speed in both cases?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Spear wrote: »
    What's the memory speed in both cases?

DDR4 2400. It's the same build, only thing that's changed is the CPU and cooler.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭choons

Have you checked for a bios update for the motherboard?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

What's the performance like in actual games?

choons wrote: »
    Have you checked for a bios update for the motherboard?

Had to update the bios to install the 7600 as it's a z170 board so it's the newest version now.

• Advertisement

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    What's the performance like in actual games?

Seems fine, I wasn't playing anything very taxing yet. Far Cry 4 on max everything seemed if anything a little smoother.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,165 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

2ndcoming wrote: »
    DDR4 2400. It's the same build, only thing that's changed is the CPU and cooler.

But is it running at that? Could it have changed with the new CPU, since it could have a different multiplier and other timings?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

Did you reset/clear Cmos after the bios flash and new cpu install?

Try updating the Intel Management Engine driver as it needs to be updated after bios flash on Msi boards (even worth a go if you have a different board)

Also check if the boards Chipset driver is up to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Board: Same
    PCIE: Same
    Mem: Same
    GPU: Same

Same or greater clock. VRMs are an issue for X299 not 170. Only thing I can think of is the CPU is throttling. That or dodgy mem profiles as above.

ED E wrote: »
    Board: Same
    PCIE: Same
    Mem: Same
    GPU: Same

Same or greater clock. VRMs are an issue for X299 not 170. Only thing I can think of is the CPU is throttling. That or dodgy mem profiles as above.

Could it be that the gpu is throttling? CPU never went above 54 degrees during tests, GPU hit 90 which I think is it's limit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Target temperature is 80C so that'd do it.

Why the change though, is it dirty as fuark?

Alright, please ignore everything I said, I'm an idiot.

The higher score I've been comparing this one to was a test I'd run overclocking and undervolting the RX480, with fan set on max so it was impractical for anything outside the test as it was like having a Cessna light aircraft in the corner.

The actual graphics score with the old CPU with the card at stock settings was 12,706, and the overall score was 9,091.

So I've got a slight improvement to the graphics score and about a 14% increase in the overall score thanks to the new CPU, which is exactly where I should be based on generic scores I've seen online.

Passmark CPU scores were a much clearer improvement, as are temps so I'm happy now.

Panic over. Cheers for the responses anyway guys.

Advertisement