Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IBS & Stomach Cramps

Options
  • 15-07-2017 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭

Hi I have a friend who was recently diagnosed with IBS and she's really having a tough time at the moment. She's on the Low FODMAP Diet. She keeps getting stomach cramps and unfortunately medication (buscopan tablets) did help stop the cramps.

Anyone any experience or know the best way to try and stop the cramps? She's in a fairly high position in the social care sector so I'm pretty sure that stressful environment is probably what caused IBS.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

beya2009 wrote: »
    Hi I have a friend who was recently diagnosed with IBS and she's really having a tough time at the moment. She's on the Low FODMAP Diet. She keeps getting stomach cramps and unfortunately medication (buscopan tablets) did help stop the cramps.

Anyone any experience or know the best way to try and stop the cramps? She's in a fairly high position in the social care sector so I'm pretty sure that stressful environment is probably what caused IBS.

Only thing is to be meticulous with what she eats to see if she can find a trigger for the cramps.

Colpermin (peppermint capsules) can help, and there are other prescription only meds that are great for cramps if the buscopan hasn't worked. Spasmonal is one, and colofac I think is another. I have all 4 and use them according to where the pain is, what the pain is, and where the pain fits in with the rest of my symptoms.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Dinarius

beya2009 wrote: »

Has she been blood tested for all possible allergies/intolerances?

Last summer (I'm 57), after years of my gut never being quite right, I had an IGe blood test. It confirmed what my wife and I had suspected for a long time - I shouldn't be eating wheat. I'm not allergic to wheat. If I had been, it would have been discovered years ago. I'm intolerant of it. Big difference. It can undermine your health, but you can live through it. I'm also not coeliac.

Since I stopped eating wheat last summer, I lost half a stone, and my overall health was transformed. Friends and work colleagues keep commenting on the change in me.

I strongly believe that your gut is your engine. If it's working to its full potential, you're sorted.

Your gut contains about 80%(!) of your body's serotonin
    and has more nerve endings than your spine. It is like a second nervous system. (Gut instinct and all that.)

It is the key to your overall health.

Your friend should be tested for everything.

D.

Ps. Continuing the motoring analogy: I believe that your lungs are your fuel tanks, and your heart is the accelerator. But, without a good engine, you're never running properly. ;)

Advertisement