Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

First car - stuck between 2 options

Options
  • 15-07-2017 8:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭

Hi all,

Im buying my first car, looked for quite a while and have narrowed down my options to the following:

06 corolla
    07 focus

The focus is 400 cheaper than the corolla, cheapest insurance quotes ive received are roughly the same. Tax is the same.

I've researched both brands. The reviews for the toyota are very good. Many people saying that they have many miles on them and they're still going strong. However, there are more negative reviews for the focus. With that said the majority are still positive.

I can't decide between the two.

Would appreciate any advice/ opinions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭kirving

At that age, the previous life of each car will matter far more than the make or model.

Look at the mileage, service history, previous owners, tyres on the care, etc.

In general however, the Corolla would be viewed as more reliable and the Focus as a batter car to drive. But both are pretty middle of the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,147 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If they are both 1.4 litre then the Corolla will be way nipper than the Focus. The 1.4 Focus especially the Mk2 is very sluggish. It only has 80bhp compared to the 97bhp of the Corolla. A Kia Ceed should be considered also, very similar styling to the last generation Corolla hatchback and the 1.4 litre has around 115bhp.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭danielgalway

just checked it there. the focus does have 79bhp whereas the corolla does have 97bhp.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,388 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Corolla by a mile.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭chicorytip

In general however, the Corolla would be viewed as more reliable and the Focus as a batter car to drive. But both are pretty middle of the road.

The Focus, especially in hatchback form, is the much better looking car - if that's of any importance to you. It (the 1.4 litre) feels a bit sluggish moving off in first gear but has adequate power overall. The Corolla would have the better fuel economy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭danielgalway

Appreciate all the feedback. Would appreciate a bit of advice after I did more research: So I've been calculating the average minimum monthly cost of owning one of these two cars while taking into account the following:
    1. Tax
    2. Insurance
    3. Fuel
    4. Car loan monthly repayment
    5. NCT
    It's worth noting that I've been looking at taking out a 2 year or 3 year car loan. I've also come across a 2011 Skoda Fabia. After doing some calculations, taking into account the 5 points above, if I was to repay the car loan over 3 years, the Fabia works out €25-€30 more per month. Also, its worth noting that for the corolla and focus, I've only been looking at third party fire and theft insurance as the quotes im getting are already insanely high. For the extra €25-€30:
    • I'm also getting comprehensive car insurance on the Fabia.
    • The fabia has slightly better fuel economy. 
      Would like to hear peoples opinions on this. I understand that test driving the car, how it feels etc is also a big factor. 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

I had a Focus (albeit a diesel) and i've driven many Corolla's.

My money would be on the Toyota all day long.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,147 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The Fabia is from the class below the Corolla and Focus. The Fabia would be smaller than a Corolla/Focus and is in the same segment as the Fiesta and Yaris.

Also check with your bank, they may not give a car loan on a 10 or 11 year old car.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I have a 2005 1.4L Focus and while slow compared to most cars, it has enough power to get around. 80bhp isn't a lot, but if it were the limit of what was available I think people would cope just fine. Aside from the odd overtake it's not an issue unless you just want something a bit more fun.

I learned to drive in it 10 years ago and still have it now. It was super reliable up until about 18 months ago when wear and tear has started to show, the power steering pump and clutch both needed replacing, and some other minor things. I'd like something with a bit more power now but it served me well for many years, plus stopped me from driving like too much of an asshole on occassion, as I simply wasn't able to.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I'm pretty sure those corolla's burn oil but it is quicker than the focus. Those 1.4 Focus' are very slow to take off but once you are up to speed they are grand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

The corrolla will be considerably easier to run than the Focus. The Toyota will easily manage 40-42mpg on short runs whereas the Focus will struggle to do 35mpg on the same journeys.

The Corolla is also a nicer car to drive, more solid and sits nicer on the road than the Focus.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

What type of mileage have the cars? Any idea about their service history? The Fabia being 4 years younger puts it in the post '08 tax bracket and potentially would have less wear and tear.

I haven't tried but I've been hearing that insurance companies are screwing owers with cars that are over 10 years old. Something to consider.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

I'm pretty sure those corolla's burn oil but it is quicker than the focus. Those 1.4 Focus' are very slow to take off but once you are up to speed they are grand.

Not by 06 they didn't. A 06 will have the updated vvti engine which doesn't suffer from oil burning. 1.4 mk2 focuses are well know oil burners though. They are far worse in this regard than the vvti ever was.

chicorytip wrote: »
    The Focus, especially in hatchback form, is the much better looking car - if that's of any importance to you. It (the 1.4 litre) feels a bit sluggish moving off in first gear but has adequate power overall. The Corolla would have the better fuel economy.

Not if you go for a strata or a (06) luna hatchback corolla, these are better looking than a focus I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭babybuilder

The corrolla will be considerably easier to run than the Focus. The Toyota will easily manage 40-42mpg on short runs whereas the Focus will struggle to do 35mpg on the same journeys.

The Corolla is also a nicer car to drive, more solid and sits nicer on the road than the Focus.
    Have had a Corolla and currently drive 07 focus saloon. Have to strongly disagree about Corolla being better drive. Focus may have less power but is miles ahead better on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Have had a Corolla and currently drive 07 focus saloon. Have to strongly disagree about Corolla being better drive. Focus may have less power but is miles ahead better on the road.

Matter of opinion I guess, I had an 08 Focus at work (1.4) and hated driving it, hated the driving position, the gear changes and the clunkiness of everything in the car. My wife had a corolla for 5 years and it was a pleasure to drive in comparison. I guess different people like different things and the only way for the OP to decide is to drive both cars and see which he/she prefers.

I think the focus's driving dynamics are vastly overrated. The corolla nearly handles as well whilst being far more pleasant to drive than the focus.

Advertisement