Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"error 2738." problem installing software in windows 7 home

Options
  • 15-07-2017 8:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭

I am getting a "error 2738.could not access vbscript runtime for custom action" error trying to install a bluetooth driver for a usb dongle.

This is the device if it matters https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01D3Q0228/ref=pe_3187911_189395841_TE_dp_1

It came with a CD which gave this error upon install, as did the download from their site.

The device is detected etc, and I was able to get another driver working, which connected to the device I want (a bluetooth speaker), but no sound would play through it, and it did not appear to be.

Laptop is a toshiba satellite C855.

I found some software that supposedly would sort it but looked dodgy. And some pointed to a "microsoft fixit" but seemed to only be for vista. Any ideas?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

rubadub wrote: »
    I am getting a "error 2738.could not access vbscript runtime for custom action" error trying to install a bluetooth driver for a usb dongle.

This is the device if it matters https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01D3Q0228/ref=pe_3187911_189395841_TE_dp_1

It came with a CD which gave this error upon install, as did the download from their site.

The device is detected etc, and I was able to get another driver working, which connected to the device I want (a bluetooth speaker), but no sound would play through it, and it did not appear to be.

Laptop is a toshiba satellite C855.

I found some software that supposedly would sort it but looked dodgy. And some pointed to a "microsoft fixit" but seemed to only be for vista. Any ideas?

Judging from the amount of 1 star reviews that mention pretty much the same problem (or a close match to it), I'd say that the device doesn't work, and that you'd be better getting one from a more reputable brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

CatInABox wrote: »
    Judging from the amount of 1 star reviews that mention pretty much the same problem (or a close match to it), I'd say that the device doesn't work, and that you'd be better getting one from a more reputable brand.

Most negative reviews were saying the range was crap, which is not much of an issue for me. I do see some saying they had trouble with win7 but hoped they were just clueless, it is rare to find any device without negative reviews like this. Can you suggest a better brand?

I have access to a similar toshiba laptop so I can try it on and see how it goes. Some were saying if you got this type of error it meant the programmers of the installer software did not have a clue -so I wondered/hoped there was an alternative generic driver I could try, seems to be a CSR device, I think windows was saying it was realtek which I think is the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 annmariee

How you tried to make sure that you are installing with Admin rights?
    Have you tried to see if running in a compatibility mode for a previous OS works? (you can find this by right clicking on the file and choosing the Compatibility tab and then select an option "Run this program in a compatibility mode for" - selected an older OS from the drop down list.)

What type of an installer file is it - does it have a .exe extension or can you see the .msi file?

If it is a .msi file, can you open a Command Prompt with Administration rights in the same folder where the .msi file is and then type in the following command (MyAppToBeInstalled name need to be changed to the name of the file for your installer):

msiexec /i "MyAppToBeInstalled.msi" /qn /L*v "InstallLog.log"

The installation log will give you some indication as to what is happening.
    More often that not though, when it fails trying to load a VBS script there is something wrong with the installer file, and your only alternative is to contact the company who designed the installer - as there is no way to get around the error message without help. Although, being able to supply them with the Installation log file with help them to debug their installer quicker.

thanks for all the advice. :)
    annmariee wrote: »
    What type of an installer file is it - does it have a .exe extension or can you see the .msi file?
    it is a setup.exe file. It came on a disk and I also downloaded if from their site too to make sure it was not a corrupt disk or something, I even tried the 32bit setup just to test.

I will give the compatibility thing a try later when I am at the laptop. I had not heard anyone say that. I found several sites talking about registering or registering DLL files and I tried that with no luck.

I contacted the seller and he gave some links but it was the same thing, a few others gave similar links and I will try them all again as I think some had additional "and if that doesn't work, try this" steps to them.

this was a link I was trying https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Installation-fails-with-message-Error-2738-Could-not-access-VBScript-run-time-for-custom-action-s.html
    How you tried to make sure that you are installing with Admin rights??
    No, I will try this. This is just right clicking the exe and saying "run as administrator" right?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 annmariee

Yes, as you said, Run as Administrator is just right click on the file and choose the option to "Run as administrator" - do that step first - as that might resolve it all.

The other steps I gave you to generate the installer log will only work on the msi file - you can uncompress the EXE file to the raw installer file by using the following command - you just need to substitute the values for the EXE file name and the Path to where you want to decompress the files to - you could just make a directory on your C: drive call Temp, in which case it would be "C:\Temp" for the TARGETDIR path:

"NameOfTheExeFile" /a /s /v"/qn TARGETDIR=\"ExtractionPathToPutTheUncompressedFiles"\"

If you do use this command - please make sure that you use the uppercased version of TARGETDIR as this is a installer variable and must be in upper case.

When you tried to register or unregister the DLL files - had you been running your command prompt as an Administrator? As those registration will not work without elevated privileges.

• Advertisement

When you tried to register or unregister the DLL files - had you been running your command prompt as an Administrator? As those registration will not work without elevated privileges.
    Yes, I typed CMD in the search bar and then right clicked and ran as admin. They seemed to do it successfully, I can't remember the message.

I will try your other steps too, I never knew you could extract files like that.

Thanks again!

How you tried to make sure that you are installing with Admin rights?
    Have you tried to see if running in a compatibility mode for a previous OS works? (you can find this by right clicking on the file and choosing the Compatibility tab and then select an option "Run this program in a compatibility mode for" - selected an older OS from the drop down list.)
    I tried both of these with no luck. Running as vista as that was the oldest OS the software said it could use.

So before doing the extraction thing, I tried the "if this doesn't work, try this" type links in the previous link. I got to this one and remembered the laptop came preinstalled with a trial of mcafee

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/search-result/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Internal-Error-2738.html
    Solution:
    Certain Anti-Virus programs have been known to affect the registration of a particular DLL. If you had McAfee Anti-Virus in the past (even if you have unistalled it will leave some trace components on the computer), please use this McAfee tool to remove it completely:
    McAfee Download Tool
    http://http//download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe

and this worked for me! Fecking McAfee, the cure is worse than the disease :mad:

When running the removal tool it did appear to be removing stuff.

I will just add that I was missing a space in my original post it should be "error 2738.could not access vbscript run time for custom action" just in case other people search the exact error and find this thread.

annmariee- thanks once more for the indepth posts & tips.

Advertisement