Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Returning a new TV, what are my rights?

Options
  • 15-07-2017 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭

Hi,

I bought a new 40 inch TV from a reputable company in store. My previous TV sat on a central stand that could swivel. The new TV sits on two supports/legs on either side but they are wider apart than the width of my TV stand.

I only copped this once I had removed and assembled tv, took booklets etc. from sealed plastic packaging.

I have repackaged the TV and it is as new apart from the booklets and screws which I have in ziplock bags.

I'm just wondering what exactly my rights are here? I appreciate 100% I'm an idiot for not considering the tv stand width in advance.

The store said they would charge me 10% of sale price if I returned as they could not sell as new. Is this my only option?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

You have no rights. You messed up. You are lucky the store even talked to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

Unless there is a fault the store is under new obligation to give any refund (unlike when ordering online)

Can you change the stand to suit or mount it on the wall?

Lots of different types of stands available

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/universal-tv-stand

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭beechwood55

WhyTheFace wrote: »
    Hi,

I bought a new 40 inch TV from a reputable company in store. My previous TV sat on a central stand that could swivel. The new TV sits on two supports/legs on either side but they are wider apart than the width of my TV stand.

I only copped this once I had removed and assembled tv, took booklets etc. from sealed plastic packaging.

I have repackaged the TV and it is as new apart from the booklets and screws which I have in ziplock bags.

I'm just wondering what exactly my rights are here? I appreciate 100% I'm an idiot for not considering the tv stand width in advance.

The store said they would charge me 10% of sale price if I returned as they could not sell as new. Is this my only option?

Thanks in advance

I would take that offer before they change their minds. They have no obligation to take it back at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Only 10% restocking charge?

Fair play to them - most stores would refuse point blank as it cannot be sold as a new tv anymore. They'll probably sell it as an ex display.

I'd be very happy with such offer. Sign of excellent customer service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Another option is to buy a new tv stand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭BeerFarts

If the tv supports vesa mounts then you could buy a cheapish vesa stand and get rid of the wide feet on it. That's what I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭WhyTheFace

You have no rights. You messed up. You are lucky the store even talked to you.

Wouldn't be a very professional store not to talk to their customers, would it?

CeilingFly wrote: »
    Only 10% restocking charge?

Fair play to them - most stores would refuse point blank as it cannot be sold as a new tv anymore. They'll probably sell it as an ex display.

Ya he said he's sell it as ex display.

Will take the 10% hit and learn from my mistake.

Another option is to buy a new tv stand.

I've actually got one on order but it's only 90mm wide and so it would also be too small!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭Inviere

If I were to guess, I'd say Argos (and an LG tv). Argos have fantastic service, I think a 10% hit is very reasonable, short of buying a new stand.

• Advertisement

Inviere wrote: »
    If I were to guess, I'd say Argos (and an LG tv). Argos have fantastic service, I think a 10% hit is very reasonable, short of buying a new stand.

I'm more than happy with 10%, just wanted to make sure of what I was entitled to.

D.I.D. Electrical actually :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I'm more than happy with 10%, just wanted to make sure of what I was entitled to.

You are not getting what you are "entitled to". You are getting much more.

You are not getting what you are "entitled to". You are getting much more.

Yes, but I wanted to find out what I was entitled to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

Yes, but I wanted to find out what I was entitled to.

Youre not "entitled" to anything unless the item is faulty.

Youre not "entitled" to anything unless the item is faulty.

And now I know!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

That's actually a really impressive offer from the store, most would tell you hard luck or charge a far higher restocking fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Under consumer law you are not entitled to anything at all as it was your mistake.
    The shop offering to take it back after being opened and assembled is actually quite generous and shows excellent customer relation ethic, but that is their own policy which they are not legally bound to provide.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I think the OP is now aware of their position and happy with the outcome.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement