Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unraid & Ryzen

Options
  • 15-07-2017 12:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭

I intend on building an unraid server, and have been buying parts over the last few months. I haven't committed to MB, CPU or ram yet.

It will be used as a plex media server with a Win 10 VM and a few dockers.

I might stick a gaming GPU in it in the future, but media server and file storage is the priority. It would be streaming to my Nvidia shield so would be getting an Nvidia card, probably a 1050 or 1060, as I only causally game.

Ryzen would seem to be a good option for my use case, but the unraid forums are above my head. I know there are some issues with unraid and ryzen, but unsure of the extent and if it would impact my use case.

Anyone have any advice if unraid an ryzen is a runner right now, or best to stick to intel?

I'd be getting a 7700k if intel. Budget isn't a big constraint as it will last me a number of years.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭Serephucus

As someone who's waiting on EPYC/Threadripper before doing a pretty big unRAID server upgrade, I can offer a little info (though not as much as some of the people on the LT forums).

Right now, after the AGESA 1.0.0.6 update, things are relatively smooth. The only large problem that I've seen reported is a tenancy for unRAID to (seemingly) randomly crash, requiring a hard reboot. This can be solved by disabling C-States in the BIOS.

Pauven on the LT forums is running a Ryzen server, and seems pretty good for documenting things. This thread is a good read for you.

I can't tell you exactly what to do, as it depends on how valuable the data you're storing will be. If it's stuff that you can stand to lose or re-download, then I'd go Ryzen, because the value proposition is just so much better than Intel. If you need to absolutely keep things safe... It might be better to wait a couple of months, or go with a second-hand Intel solution from eBay.

Advertisement