Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how much nuts and seeds do ye eat daily?

Options
  • 14-07-2017 6:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭

Find myself eating about 120g various nuts and seeds a day. Is this too much? Legumes don't suit me and I hate oils so need some way to pack in the calories. Does anyone else eat this amount of nuts and seeds? Is it harmful or possible to overdose on various minerals etc?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45 muminpajamas

My problem is I only like the salty ones but am trying to reduce salt. Don't eat them everyday but I think it would probably be a good idea. 120g doesn't sound like too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭seefin

The world health organisation says about 2 ounces a day but maybe they mean as a minimum? I'm a fussy eater as it is and try to eat healthily mostly so finding it really hard to eat enough calories every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,675 ✭✭✭Worztron

Hi.

I eat nuts about a few days a week - just a small amount. I eat about a tablespoon of chia seeds each morn with my breakfast. Also I sprinkle on sun flower seeds and pumpkin seeds when I have muesli (twice a week).

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I have like one brazil nut for selenium most days. Have a few types of seeds to sprinkle on stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 NoFace

It would depend on what the rest of your diet is like, and what nuts/seeds you were eating. Like are you getting variety in your portions, are they salted/unsalted, is your diet overall meeting your nutritional needs. I wouldn't be too concerned about overdosing on any minerals, you probably won't be consuming enough for any negative effects.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭seefin

NoFace wrote:
    It would depend on what the rest of your diet is like, and what nuts/seeds you were eating. Like are you getting variety in your portions, are they salted/unsalted, is your diet overall meeting your nutritional needs. I wouldn't be too concerned about overdosing on any minerals, you probably won't be consuming enough for any negative effects.

My diet overall is pretty healthy 90% of the time. Always eat unsalted nuts- I eat 25g each of walnuts, almonds,sunflower seeds and flaxseed(think I read these were the best nutritionally) every day but you're right, I should buy mixed nuts and seeds and vary a bit more - less chance then of overdosing on any one mineral. Thanks

Advertisement