Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Packard Bell E1 Vision

Options
  • 14-07-2017 2:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭

An elderly lady gave me the above Laptop to fix as it had died. I put it's HD in a dock and it could not be read, I guess that's the problem. I then installed a new HD but it now calls for the current password, which of course is unavailable.
    Is there a work around?
    The original documentation is lost and there is no other info available.
    Help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

A new HD would mean you're reinstalling Windows. There would be no password required other than the new one you can set.

You will also be asked for the Windows serial key which should be on a sticker on the bottom of the machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Is it looking for a BIOS password or one for the operating system?

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭TAPlank

Thank you for the replies , but still have some way to go.
    Here is a complete list of what is shown when I triied to install the OS. I have some experience with building and re-building desktops.

Packard Bell E1 Vision. Installed new HD, then:
    Action Shown on screen.
    Sw on: No bootabel device.
    Insert OS disc: Nothing happens
    Sw off and on: No bootable device
    Sw off and on, Press F2: Enter current passwword.
    do, Press F12: No bootable device.
    do, Ctrl/Del No bootable device
    do, Enter. Boot option menu, No options.

Hope it helps with finding a solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭TAPlank

I now guess it is lloking for the BIOS Password. If that is so what do I do?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Ask the owner - maybe she set a BIOS password herself. Also, could try bell9 as the password. A Google search suggested it as an override password.

• Advertisement
Advertisement