Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile Android OS Upgrade.

Options
  • 14-07-2017 12:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭

I have a Samsung Galaxy Core 4G mobile phone which up to know has been more than adequate for my needs, don't really have a want for an expensive high end phone.

However, recently I have noticed notifications from Apps I do need, telling me that they will no longer work due to the version of Android on my phone, banking being one of them.

My phone has Android 4.2.2 and from what I've read, Samsung are noted for not offering OS updates for their low to mid range smart phones. In fact, I can't recall ever receiving a OS upgrade for this phone & if I did it would have been shortly after I purchased it. I'm guessing they do this intentionally in order to get users to change their phones more regularly.

The phone is currently in pristine condition so I don't want to have to shell out for a new one unless I absolutely have to.

My question:

Is there anyway I could manually install a newer version of Android on my phone?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

Is this it?

Should be upgrade-able to lollipop according to that, but even then that's two major releases ago from the current version of android and you may still see compatibility issues with apps.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I have a Samsung Galaxy Core 4G mobile phone which up to know has been more than adequate for my needs, don't really have a want for an expensive high end phone.

However, recently I have noticed notifications from Apps I do need, telling me that they will no longer work due to the version of Android on my phone, banking being one of them.

My phone has Android 4.2.2 and from what I've read, Samsung are noted for not offering OS updates for their low to mid range smart phones. In fact, I can't recall ever receiving a OS upgrade for this phone & if I did it would have been shortly after I purchased it. I'm guessing they do this intentionally in order to get users to change their phones more regularly.

The phone is currently in pristine condition so I don't want to have to shell out for a new one unless I absolutely have to.

My question:

Is there anyway I could manually install a newer version of Android on my phone?

Yes,

But it involves a bit of tech know how...

You need to unlock the bootloader of the phone, install a custom recovery to the phone, and then install a custom ROM via the new recovery...

4.4.2 is from October 2013 so it's out with the Indians...

If you do do that, the likelihood of it working with your bank app is also slim, most of the ROMs are pre rooted and therefore not able to work with your banking app...

Rooting is not always necessary, but as I say, it stops certain apps working at a system level...

They basically want you to buy a new phone...

I'm in a similar boat, my phone is 3 or 4 years old and is on 6.0 and I'm beginning to see stuff that won't work on that OS anymore... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

maximoose wrote: »
    Is this it?

Should be upgrade-able to lollipop according to that, but even then that's two major releases ago from the current version of android and you may still see compatibility issues with apps.

Yep.
    Fieldog wrote: »
    Yes,

But it involves a bit of tech know how...

You need to unlock the bootloader of the phone, install a custom recovery to the phone, and then install a custom ROM via the new recovery...

4.4.2 is from October 2013 so it's out with the Indians...

If you do do that, the likelihood of it working with your bank app is also slim, most of the ROMs are pre rooted and therefore not able to work with your banking app...

Rooting is not always necessary, but as I say, it stops certain apps working at a system level...

They basically want you to buy a new phone...

I'm in a similar boat, my phone is 3 or 4 years old and is on 6.0 and I'm beginning to see stuff that won't work on that OS anymore... :(

Well I would like to think I'm reasonably Tech Savvy but of course I would need access to the ROM's and a guide of some sort.

I'm not sure though if the effort is worth it if it still might not work with banking.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Q&A

Depends who you bank with. I've rooted my phone and installed custom ROMs. For the most part it hasn't limited my apps I can use.

Though it sounds as if you've nothing to loose from giving it a go. Your best bet is to look up XDA developers forum for your phone. Depending on how popular your phone is you might have plenty to choose from.

My question:

You could probably update via Odin:

http://www.android.gs/install-android-5-1-1-lollipop-update-for-samsung-galaxy-core-prime-lte-g361f/

Seriously, though. You should upgrade your phone to something more recent. There's loads of cheap phones available these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Did you purchase it from a network?

You could be a version behind due to them never rebadging the samsung release.

Basil3 wrote: »
    You could probably update via Odin:

http://www.android.gs/install-android-5-1-1-lollipop-update-for-samsung-galaxy-core-prime-lte-g361f/

Seriously, though. You should upgrade your phone to something more recent. There's loads of cheap phones available these days.

That guide looks pretty straight forward but I think my model is different.

It's a Galaxy Core 4G LTE Model number SM-G386f

The article posted mentions prime-lte-g361f so I'm guessing that could be a problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,763 ✭✭✭DopeTech

That guide looks pretty straight forward but I think my model is different.

It's a Galaxy Core 4G LTE Model number SM-G386f

The article posted mentions prime-lte-g361f so I'm guessing that could be a problem?
    There is no custom roms for your model unfortunately. Think it's time to bite the bullet and buy a new phone. Plenty of cheap decent ones out there these days.

Looks that way alright. Thanks to all for the advice anyway ;)

Looks that way alright. Thanks to all for the advice anyway ;)

Yeah, I looked further into it, and your particular version never made it off kit kat. Even the British unlocked model stayed on kit kat.

The reason these lower spec devices don't get updates isn't to force you into upgrading, it's because it takes time and resources from the software team to update. It's just not worth it for them.

• Advertisement

Basil3 wrote: »
    Yeah, I looked further into it, and your particular version never made it off kit kat. Even the British unlocked model stayed on kit kat.

The reason these lower spec devices don't get updates isn't to force you into upgrading, it's because it takes time and resources from the software team to update. It's just not worth it for them.

Appreciate the effort you went to Basil3, thanks.

If I tap the version number in settings a few times it pops up the following

Jelly Bean v4.2.2 with an animated group of jelly beans dancing around the screen, so it doesn't seem to be Kit Kat, not that it matters now eitherway.

Advertisement