Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House in Harold's Cross

Options
  • 14-07-2017 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone else has had issues with DNG properties?

We went sale agreed on <snip> a house Harold's Cross in early Feb 2017, we went 70k over asking price which eventually got haggled down by 5k after surveys turned up many issues.

We had such a rollercoaster after going sale agreed, the seller's were consistently difficult, dragging their heels, refusing to provide essential documents to our solicitor i.e. proof that they had cleared multiple mortgages on it and refusing to register the property. They also changed solicitor halfway through (which is very suspicious).

6 months after going sale agreed we finally signed contracts on our side a couple of weeks ago. We then get a call from the estate agent saying the sellers were demanding 20k more or they would put it back on the market. Obviously we weren't going to be held to ransom so we said no.

According to the estate agent, the property has been put back on the market 3/4 times now. I know the sellers are separated so can't seem to agree whether to sell it or not/how much they want for it but I think there should be some legislation around this kind of thing. We lost thousands in legal fees, multiple surveyor reports and not to mention all the time wasted.

I suppose I would say buyer beware, as we were treated really badly. That said, if anyone was interested to know the property in particular, I would be happy to give some details via PM of the condition of the house or any other info, I hate the idea of multiple parties being screwed over and spending so much money on surveyor reports.

I also know estate agents work for the seller but facilitating this kind of gazumping of sorts after our contract was signed and 6 months after shaking hands on a price is incredibly unprofessional. Any other positive/negative experiences with DNG or other estate agents?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Millpull

voxbot wrote: »
    Hi,

Just wondering if anyone else has had issues with DNG properties?

We went sale agreed on <snip> a house Harold's Cross in early Feb 2017, we went 70k over asking price which eventually got haggled down by 5k after surveys turned up many issues.

We had such a rollercoaster after going sale agreed, the seller's were consistently difficult, dragging their heels, refusing to provide essential documents to our solicitor i.e. proof that they had cleared multiple mortgages on it and refusing to register the property. They also changed solicitor halfway through (which is very suspicious).

6 months after going sale agreed we finally signed contracts on our side a couple of weeks ago. We then get a call from the estate agent saying the sellers were demanding 20k more or they would put it back on the market. Obviously we weren't going to be held to ransom so we said no.

According to the estate agent, the property has been put back on the market 3/4 times now. I know the sellers are separated so can't seem to agree whether to sell it or not/how much they want for it but I think there should be some legislation around this kind of thing. We lost thousands in legal fees, multiple surveyor reports and not to mention all the time wasted.

I suppose I would say buyer beware, as we were treated really badly. That said, if anyone was interested to know the property in particular, I would be happy to give some details via PM of the condition of the house or any other info, I hate the idea of multiple parties being screwed over and spending so much money on surveyor reports.

I also know estate agents work for the seller but facilitating this kind of gazumping of sorts after our contract was signed and 6 months after shaking hands on a price is incredibly unprofessional. Any other positive/negative experiences with DNG or other estate agents?

This is the fault of the seller/solicitors. Nothing to do with the estate agent. Once a property goes Sale Agreed the dealings then progress on from the estate agent, to the solicitors stage. Agent would only be privy to conveyance issues after the solicitor has updated their client, the owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

When you say you signed contracts was that just on your side? If they've signed too they can't demand more money.. I presume this demand was a condition of them signing?

Sounds like you've had a lucky escape and as though they'll never close on that house so long as they are pitted against each other. It's a nightmare but what they've done is not unheard of. The market has picked up a lot since you went sale agreed so it's not overly surprising that they want to try to get more for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭1641

An awful experience for you voxpot. It will be no consolation, but I bet the EA is feeling pretty exasperated as well. For them it will probably be a matter of hanging in there in the hope of getting their fees eventually rather than cutting and running now. But for them it will be purely the professional exasperation rather than the emotional one it must be for you - not to mention the financial hit.

Really hope it all works out for the better next time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Market in Dublin has been relatively flat with some areas experiencing a small drop as affordability, mortgage restrictions and a plentiful supply of new properties come into play.

I would suspect that they will not get any higher price and possibly may find they have to accept a lower price

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

CeilingFly wrote: »
    Market in Dublin has been relatively flat with some areas experiencing a small drop as affordability, mortgage restrictions and a plentiful supply of new properties come into play.

I would suspect that they will not get any higher price and possibly may find they have to accept a lower price

Plentiful is a strong word but agree that Prices are flat lining now due to the central bank rules.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,194 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

The EA will be exasperated as well.
    14 months later, still no sign of their commission, and possibly no expenses either.

Sellers like this are a pain. Next thing, they'll list it with a different agent and try and avoid paying anything.

Advertisement