Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling from Whitehall to Drimnagh

Options
  • 13-07-2017 2:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Just wondering if anyone has done this trip, i'm going to be doing 4 days a week come September. If anyone knows what the route is like, time it takes....anything?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Matt Bianco

Only know from crossing in the evenings when heading to Corkagh Park but route I take is Swords Road - Drumcondra - Dorset Street - North King Street - Queen Street - Heuston Station - Sth Circular. No part more dangerous than any other route crossing the city at peak times but North King Street can be an accident black spot as traffic switches lanes on corner regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I used to do Kilmainham->Whitehall and back all the time.

I used to go through Phibsborough, cut across the red-brick terraced streets, and cut through the little park. This is to avoid the bridge at the blue pub, which I think is not safe for cyclists. Well, not for me anyway.

I'll give you street names in a minute!

It was Lindsay Road (I used to use the pedestrian crossing and walk to get to it from Prospect Road), then through the warren of little streets to Griffith Park (which used to be bike-accessible -- no signs saying otherwise -- and presume still is; maybe you should walk this bit if there are signs) and then Millmount Avenue onto Drumcontra Road Upper (no left turn, so you walk that bit maybe).

I don't like Drumcondra Road Lower, and the bridge that joins it to DR Upper, so that's why I always went that way, despite all the dismounting.

Whitehall->Kilmainham takes half an hour or so, IIRC.

I think I used to cut down Arbour Hill after that, then in front of the Aisling Hotel, across the Luas bridge (again, probably should walk that bit), up past St. Pat.s, then down Kilmainham Lane.

Way too much walking in it maybe, but I like to reduce exposure to chronic risk, so my frequent routes always are a bit timorous.

• Advertisement
Advertisement