Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

AS Cars - reviews. Do people do good reviews?

Options
  • 12-07-2017 7:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Looking at a car in AS Cars (no pics there yet).

Came on here looking for reviews of the dealer & found some bad ones as expected but then do people ever put up good reviews of car dealerships?

They've been in business for 20 years so they must have sold some good cars in that time!

Will get my mechanic to check out the car but if anyone has anything good to say about them I'd be interested in hearing it.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭hairyslug

Bought a 11 year old car off them, something (honestly can't remember what) went wrong, but it was fixed, only negative thing is that it took a while longer than I was told to get the part in and repair. That's the problem with not having a mech on site.

They've been in business quite a while so there are gonna be a few complaints.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

People are more likely to make the effort to log on to the internets to give bad reviews.
    So look for a lack of bad reviews, rater than a presence of good reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭frash

biko wrote: »
    People are more likely to make the effort to log on to the internets to give bad reviews.

Thanks.
    Found 3 or 4 here (one by PM this morning) but they've been in business 20 years. 15 of which at the current location so there's bound to be some complaints.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 dubmonk

Hi
    I bought a car in AS Cars this year. It took already a while to get the car valeted. And after one week, the car started to have mech problems. I brought the car back, and it took more than 1 month to get it sorted. Conclusion: I would definitely avoid this company. They are not professional at all and should not be considered as a SIMI dealer.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,119 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Not that being or not being a member of the SIMI matters much to a consumer but it sounds they are perfect candidates for being a member of the SIMI. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭morritty

biko wrote: »
    dubmonk wrote: »
    Hi
    I bought a car in AS Cars this year. It took already a while to get the car valeted. And after one week, the car started to have mech problems. I brought the car back, and it took more than 1 month to get it sorted. Conclusion: I would definitely avoid this company. They are not professional at all and should not be considered as a SIMI dealer.

1 Post..... That just proves bikos point. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭kerten

I helped a friend to buy a car from them. Delivery of car was the worst car buying experience I have ever had. Salesman invited us to collect the car friday afternoon, we went there 30 mins earlier than the agreed time to have some time before he goes to his holiday.

He wasn't there then he drove in around agreed time, waved his hand from driver seat and drove off. Then I found out part worn tyres he put on the car(I asked for better tyres and agreed on part worn) was barely legal. Had to deal with other salesman who claimed 2 mm tread depth is perfectly fine and safe to drive. My friend was desperately needed a car so we couldn't walk away. Salesman was watching me fuming in the process and offered us 50 euro towards to new tyres we should buy.

Car didn't have a problem afterwards even it had, I wouldn't bother with them for a fix after that experience. It is all about expectations though. If you assume low to no customer service and get the car checked, you may be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭gwalk

Bought a car off them in August,

no issue with the car, only problem was the log book took ages and I couldn't tax car without it.

OP here
    I bought a car off them in August 2017

Bit of a delay in getting it.
    Some BS about mechanic being on holiday or something

Car running grand now.

I'd treat them as a slight step up from a private sale if dealing with them again

• Registered Users Posts: 9,587 ✭✭✭tossy

frash wrote: »
    OP here
    I bought a car off them in August 2017

Bit of a delay in getting it.
    Some BS about mechanic being on holiday or something

Car running grand now.

I'd treat them as a slight step up from a private sale if dealing with them again

You're being very hard on the average private seller there :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Savage_Henry

Bought a car a while ago, still running fine today. Do take their external warranty. I was dealing with a guy called Alan. No issues.

Were the tyres above the safety mark?
    kerten wrote: »
    I helped a friend to buy a car from them. Delivery of car was the worst car buying experience I have ever had. Salesman invited us to collect the car friday afternoon, we went there 30 mins earlier than the agreed time to have some time before he goes to his holiday.

He wasn't there then he drove in around agreed time, waved his hand from driver seat and drove off. Then I found out part worn tyres he put on the car(I asked for better tyres and agreed on part worn) was barely legal. Had to deal with other salesman who claimed 2 mm tread depth is perfectly fine and safe to drive. My friend was desperately needed a car so we couldn't walk away. Salesman was watching me fuming in the process and offered us 50 euro towards to new tyres we should buy.

Car didn't have a problem afterwards even it had, I wouldn't bother with them for a fix after that experience. It is all about expectations though. If you assume low to no customer service and get the car checked, you may be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Dazzy

Its a long time ago but I bought a car from them and I have commented about it here before in another thread.

I had a very bad experience. I did a deal with them and there was an agreement made about what would be done to the car before I picked it up which never happened. I ended up having to bring the car back multiple times and even had to take the car to the mechanic they used myself.

I also had a problem with a seat belt that they would not fix. There was one other issue which I wont go into here about the 3rd party warranty.

Getting a car is supposed to be a good experience and it was something that I always looked forward to, it is dealers like this that take the good out of buying a car. Based on my experience with them it has made me very wary of all other dealers.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭kerten

Were the tyres above the safety mark?

Yes around 2 mm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭tnegun

Dazzy wrote: »
    Its a long time ago but I bought a car from them and I have commented about it here before in another thread.

I had a very bad experience. I did a deal with them and there was an agreement made about what would be done to the car before I picked it up which never happened. I ended up having to bring the car back multiple times and even had to take the car to the mechanic they used myself.

I also had a problem with a seat belt that they would not fix. There was one other issue which I wont go into here about the 3rd party warranty.

Getting a car is supposed to be a good experience and it was something that I always looked forward to, it is dealers like this that take the good out of buying a car. Based on my experience with them it has made me very wary of all other dealers.

Would you mind PM'ing me I'm having an issue with the 3rd party warranty too!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,119 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Selling 3rd party warranties is just a convenient way for dealers to wash their hands of a customer who bought a car from them.

Its because garage warranty doesnt cover much. "Engine warranty" - most people think its the whole thing under the bonnet. But technically its just the block and head. Not CPU, not wiring, not anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Bought a 7 year old car from them in 2007. Kept it for about another 7 years with no issues outside of usual maintenance and repairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 zehknas911

Hey all.. also bought a car from them and logbook not yet received. For those who said it took a bit of time to arrive- how long did you wait?
    Thanks

zehknas911 wrote: »
    Hey all.. also bought a car from them and logbook not yet received. For those who said it took a bit of time to arrive- how long did you wait?
    Thanks

OP here
    It took a while - can't remember how long exactly but it came eventually

In contrast I changed car the car this year at a reputable dealer
    The logbook arrived within a couple of days & was taken aback having dealt with dodgy dealers up to that point

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 dm97

Hi,

definitely don’t buy from this crowd. Bought a car in August and it has been and out of the mechanics ever since. Have asked them for a replacement car and they refused. Ask for a refund refused. In the middle of a dispute with SIMI now as they then took my car to repair it, have had it for a month now and won’t answer my calls ignoring me for a month. It’s Christmas now and I’ve no car. Two scam artists selling bogey cars! Would avoid at all costs. There is a reason they don’t have a reviews section on their website just a few selected reviews (probably written by them) but no way to leave a review unlike reliable car dealerships.

the car I bought was a 162 so you would think it would be reliable but I’ve had the car a few weeks on the road since August and it’s been in the garage the rest of the time.

AVOID. Sean and Alan are no business men and can’t run a business. Place should be shut down.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

What model car did you buy from them and what problems did you have?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,540 ✭✭✭Allinall

And which of the nearby car lots do you own? 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭fitzgese

Bought my first car off them years ago. Didn't find it a good experience tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,220 ✭✭✭goochy

they are a long time there

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭chicorytip

...not to be confused with this similarly named trader who appears scrupulous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Tommy1990

Having same issue with A.S cars. Ran by scumbags. How are they still open? Sold me a faulty car and refused refund when the car didn't drive on day 1.

Advertisement