Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sub 250 Euro Android Phone

Options
  • 12-07-2017 11:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,918 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Looking for suggestions for a phone under 250 Euro. I don't have much in way of requirements, I don't play games and just browse/use a few apps. As vanilla as possible in relation to the OS is a big bonus. Expandable storage is a must but I'm not too fussed on a removable battery.

So far, for me it's a choice between the Moto G5/Moto G5+

Any other ideas?

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Here's my thread, some good sub 300 options presented here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057743943

• Registered Users Posts: 6,918 ✭✭✭circadian

Ah sorry I missed it, thanks for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭BobPresto

https://www.amazon.it/Aquaris-Smartphone-Dual-Nero-Minerale/dp/B06XQ18LYJ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1499857565&sr=8-2&keywords=bq+aquaris+x

Sites in Italian but they deliver to Ireland for around €256.
    Just checked there and if you order now and pick quick delivery it'll be here by Friday all for €256.

Looks good, do you have one?

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭kagni

Here's my thread, some good sub 300 options presented here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057743943

Would be a good thread if half of it wasn't taken up with people posting shipping updates on where their phone is.

Also thinking about getting the Moto G5 plus, the price has dropped to around $200 in the US, hoping a similar drop might be seen in the EU.
    My only issue is that it doesn't have a compass, not sure how much difference this makes when using Google Maps for navigation.

• Advertisement

Just an update. Got the BQ Aquaris X posted above, loving it so far. Lovely device and the battery life so far has been great. Would recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭BobPresto

circadian wrote: »
    Just an update. Got the BQ Aquaris X posted above, loving it so far. Lovely device and the battery life so far has been great. Would recommend.

Got the white one for the other half. She's delighted with and it seems to get updates once a week. The BX Aquaris X Pro was €300 on amazon.it last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭dedaw

BobPresto wrote: »
    Got the white one for the other half. She's delighted with and it seems to get updates once a week. The BX Aquaris X Pro was €300 on amazon.it last week.

What's the camera like?

dedaw wrote: »
    What's the camera like?

It's decent considering the price range. The camera app is a bit slow and definitely a step down since my last phone was a lumia 950.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭the-ging

circadian wrote: »
    Hi all,

Looking for suggestions for a phone under 250 Euro. I don't have much in way of requirements, I don't play games and just browse/use a few apps. As vanilla as possible in relation to the OS is a big bonus. Expandable storage is a must but I'm not too fussed on a removable battery.

So far, for me it's a choice between the Moto G5/Moto G5+

Any other ideas?

Nokia 6? should be released this month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,805 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Huawei P8 Lite (2017) now only 180 from Meteor - good specs for that price: 3GB RAM, fingerprint scanner, NFC, HD screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

the-ging wrote: »
    Nokia 6? should be released this month.

Should be available now..

https://www.rte.ie/news/technology/2017/0726/893088-nokia-phones-hit-irish-market/

ZeroThreat wrote: »

it's on Three's website now, €230 PAYG, free on contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

loyatemu wrote: »
    it's on Three's website now, €230 PAYG, free on contract.

lol I think someone needs to edit their website - '229 per month' ffs lol :D

Would be nice if it were possible to get the 4gb/64gb version with a matt casing rather than the 'arte black' fingerprint magnet though.

Huawei P8 Lite (2017) now only 180 from Meteor - good specs for that price: 3GB RAM, fingerprint scanner, NFC, HD screen.

this is now 160 if you port your number to Meteor - ordered it today, seems a good price for a mid-range phone (Meteor are becoming Eir in 2 weeks so the offer probably won't last long).

I've been on a Huawei G7 the last couple of years - their software is quirky but you can put Nova launcher on it to make it look more stock. They're not the best at providing updates either but the P8 has Nougat on it which should do for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭biebiebie

this is now 160 if you port your number to Meteor - ordered it today, seems a good price for a mid-range phone (Meteor are becoming Eir in 2 weeks so the offer probably won't last long).

Is it locked to Meteor?

biebiebie wrote: »
    Is it locked to Meteor?

I'd imagine so (haven't received it yet, I'm with Meteor anyway) - there are online services that can unlock it for a few euro

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭biebiebie

Just checked the Huawei P8 Lite on Amazon UK and it costs £134/€146

Edit...that's for the 2016 version.

How do the 2017/2016 compare?

biebiebie wrote: »
    Just checked the Huawei P8 Lite on Amazon UK and it costs £134/€146

Edit...that's for the 2016 version.

How do the 2017/2016 compare?

previous model was 2015, comparison here:
    http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=8516&idPhone2=7201

• Registered Users Posts: 23,329 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Some of the G5 plus have compasses depends o the version.
    The US does but it doesn't have NFC as is 2Gb as oppose to 3Gb

Pick the model you need , got it fit the misses and she's well impressed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

I got one delivered yesterday. Its locked to the Meteor Network.

Advertisement