Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wedding Accommodation!!

Options
  • 11-07-2017 5:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭

Just curious about how much you spent on wedding accommodation to attend the last wedding you were at?

The last wedding I attended the room was 140e per night in a purpose built wedding venue rather than a hotel, it was a little pricey for what we got but it was our choice to stay there!

My own wedding will be 100 per room but there will be lots is alternatives in the local area and we've arranged transport home for guests!!

We're invited to a wedding in August and we may just not drink for the meal and drive home to save on money!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 49 hungergamer

I have a wedding this week and the room is 155 and another in August that is 150.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭mcgiggles

Have paid 160, 150, 110, 90, for 2 of us.. different weddings, different hotels/b&b's. Ours is 140 wedding rate, but at Christmas so not bad price. Looooooads of other accommodation options (other hotels/b&b's/airb'n'bs) near the hotel that I have told everyone about!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Last one I was at was Dublin City centre so could stay at home. Managed to get the last bus home too!

Otherwise the last one I had to stay for was my brothers, over in england. I think it was about £140 for the night, it was the only game in town though they got married at a big stately home wedding venue thing in the middle of nowhere.

Seriously comfy bed though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭missmatty

Zero, as it was our own wedding and we got the suite complementary! Normally I'd expect to pay about 70-100e per person for the room.

mcgiggles wrote:
    Have paid 160, 150, 110, 90, for 2 of us.. different weddings, different hotels/b&b's. Ours is 140 wedding rate, but at Christmas so not bad price. Looooooads of other accommodation options (other hotels/b&b's/airb'n'bs) near the hotel that I have told everyone about!

These were all in the last 2 years :-) think there was 2 weddings we didn't pay as himself was in the bridal party and our room was covered! Nice treat!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I paid €160 a couple of weeks ago. Attending a wedding in a few more weeks as a member of the bridal party, and we all have accommodation sorted for us near the venue. After that, the next wedding is in the middle of nowhere so rather than paying €220 for a room, I've booked an air bnb 5 minutes away for €60.

€220. Was a beautiful hotel and lovely room in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Innervision

mcgiggles wrote: »
    These were all in the last 2 years :-) think there was 2 weddings we didn't pay as himself was in the bridal party and our room was covered! Nice treat!!

That's something I've been wondering about - is it generally the done thing to pay for bridal party accommodation? We're paying for all of ours but they seemed fairly surprised at that so was wondering if it's the norm, I've never been part of a bridal party before!

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Hermia

That's something I've been wondering about - is it generally the done thing to pay for bridal party accommodation? We're paying for all of ours but they seemed fairly surprised at that so was wondering if it's the norm, I've never been part of a bridal party before!

We're paying for just the maid of honour and best man's rooms

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

Hermia wrote: »
    We're paying for just the maid of honour and best man's rooms

The rule I've heard is the entire wedding party the night of the wedding and all other days they're required to attend, but that rule's definitely not followed by everyone!

• Advertisement

I've seen both sides of it! I think some hotels give the rooms as part of the package so the bride and groom dont actually have to pay for them but other times if theres a small bridal party the bride/groom might pay for the room as their present.. the 150euro room we stayed in I was BM and himself was GM for them! No other accom nearby.. its totally up to the bride and groom and what they can afford! Himself was best man at a wedding last year and room wasn't covered (that hotel generally is about 180 a night!) Bunch of us rented a house on the grounds instead!

• Administrators Posts: 13,769 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

I was at a wedding where the "special wedding rate" was €140. Booked same hotel online for €69, even got breakfast delivered!

Love when that happens! I've told my friends to look out on booking.com to see if the rooms come up cheaper! They only have 4 rooms a night on it tho for our hotel so lucky whoever gets it :-)
    Going to a wedding soon and wedding rate is 150 and booking.com price is 150 aswell.. booked the hotel down the road for 70 :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

The last 3 weddings I attended were local enough to drive to and get a cab home, so no accommodation required. Before that it was in the UK, can't remember what I paid but probably about €200 - I remember thinking it seemed overpriced, but it was the only decent place in the area.

Weddings for us are few and far between, and usually close friends, so if I'm going away for one I like to stay in a nice hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

Last one was €169 I think, and I've one later this year for €180 :( Prices defo seem to be creeping up in this area.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I was at a wedding where the "special wedding rate" was €140. Booked same hotel online for €69, even got breakfast delivered!
    Similar thing happened to us last year for a wedding. The rate on booking.com was cheaper than the wedding rate offered by the hotel. I had always assumed the wedding rate was lower, but when I was surprised at the wedding rate being higher than I expected that's when I had a nosy online. I would usually ring the hotel to book the room, then after getting a rate, I then say I'm going to a wedding and ask for the wedding rate, which usually in past experience is a little lower. Will be checking online from now on.

I've had 7 weddings this year, so have used B&Bs mostly.
    Average cost of the hotels is around €180 for two people.

For our own wedding, we have a good few cottages on site. My understanding is that they are €190 for two people, but take up to 5. For each additional person after the first two, its €50.
    So 2 people = €190 (€95 pp)
    3 people = €240 (€80 pp)
    4 people = €290 (€72.50 pp)
    5 people = €340 (€68 pp)

Definitely worth filling the cottages

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

For our own wedding, we have a good few cottages on site. My understanding is that they are €190 for two people, but take up to 5. For each additional person after the first two, its €50.
    3 people = €240 (€80 pp)
    5 people = €340 (€68 pp)

Wow, expensive :o

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭DaeryssaOne

Generally will pay up to €140 a night but if it's any higher will look around for b&b's close by instead. For our own we covered our entire bridal party and parents rooms for 2 of the nights (we had a meal for the bridal party the night before and a bbq the night after) - then the third night was covered by them at a reduced rate of 100 per room.

GingerLily wrote:
    Wow, expensive

Was thinking the same myself!
    jobr wrote:
    Generally will pay up to €140 a night but if it's any higher will look around for b&b's close by instead.

Ditto for this! The only reason we paid the €150/€160 rooms is cos there was nothing closeby!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭DaeryssaOne

[QUOTE=Ditto for this! The only reason we paid the €150/€160 rooms is cos there was nothing closeby![/QUOTE]

I find that a little annoying to be honest if there isn't a good alternative for people who may not be able to afford the cost. There wasn't a huge number of rooms in our own wedding venue but for that reason we ran a bus to the other (cheaper) hotel 15 minutes away so people had the alternative option.

A wedding we're heading to this year is also on the pricey side accommodation wise (and is one of many many weddings this year!) so a group of 10 of us are hiring a mini-bus instead to drop us down and back - would rather spend 30-50 on a bus and wake up in my own bed!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

3 people = €240 (€80 pp)
    5 people = €340 (€68 pp)

How many beds and bedrooms though?

I wouldn't want to spend €68pp to sleep on a fold out in the sitting room.

How many beds and bedrooms though?

I wouldn't want to spend €68pp to sleep on a fold out in the sitting room.

3 bedrooms. 2 doubles and a single.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,676 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Ahh ChatBot, directly quoting from earlier in the thread is kinda uncool. And prices have gone up since 2017.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭893bet

Are these something boards organise themselves? To promote discussion?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,024 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Advertisement