Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NAS/PLEX/SERVERS/INTEL NUC

Options
  • 11-07-2017 12:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I use Plex (Plex app on my TV) for media streaming and cataloging but I can't install it on my NAS drive (D-Link 320 with two 3TB drives). I therefore need something new.

What I understand is that most of the dedicated NAS drives like Qnap and Synology are not actually powerful enough to transcode a lot of media eg 4k and although they can run Plex there may be better ways. Bear in mind these devices are quite expensive.

With this in mind I was looking at Intel Nuc devices but they are quite expensive too when you add in the RAM and the SSD and I can't actually understand if I attach  portable HDs to it will its contents appear in Plex. I understand that internal drives are either SSD or HD but it seems to me that the benefit of the SSD is for running the OS/Boot-up time and that they arent actually so big storage wise.

So the third option I came across is building my own but maybe that's too much hassle.

The fourth option is to get either a Lenovo Thinkserver TS150 or a HP Microserver:

http://www.ebuyer.com/758894-hpe-proliant-ml10-gen9-pentium-g4400-v5-2-3-4ghz-4gb-tower-server-837826-421-837826-421

http://www.ebuyer.com/770312-lenovo-thinkserver-ts150-70lv-pentium-g4400-3-3-ghz-8gb-ram-4u-tower-70lv003eea

With one of these I could then use the HDs that I already have in my NAS drive and I think also install Windows OS Developers edition for free or maybe also Linux.

I would be grateful for any advice available please.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Playback: SORTED (TV app)
    Storage: SORTED (NAS)
    Serving: TBD

If the DLINK meets your capacity needs then you really dont need to go about starting from scratch. All you need is something with enough grunt to serve out files to your clients.

An RPi is too slow, a NUC is closer to the requirement but they are quite expensive. A compute stick is too weak too.

If you had an old laptop or PC you could work with that for one. Easy to do. From there I'd try and get a good price on something like a Zbox/Brix. There's probably a product that fits the bill (good CPU, cheap everything else) but I can't think of it right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭iba

ED E wrote: »
    Playback: SORTED (TV app)
    Storage: SORTED (NAS)
    Serving: TBD

If the DLINK meets your capacity needs then you really dont need to go about starting from scratch. All you need is something with enough grunt to serve out files to your clients.

An RPi is too slow, a NUC is closer to the requirement but they are quite expensive. A compute stick is too weak too.

If you had an old laptop or PC you could work with that for one. Easy to do. From there I'd try and get a good price on something like a Zbox/Brix. There's probably a product that fits the bill (good CPU, cheap everything else) but I can't think of it right now.
    ED E,
    Thanks for taking the trouble to reply; sorry I've been travelling and only got a chance to say thanks to you today.
    Regards

Advertisement