Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Memorial cards

Options
  • 11-07-2017 12:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

My dad passed away recently and we got an unsolicited brochure for memorial cards in the post a couple of weeks after. Is this a normal occurrence? Do these people just trail through the death notices for names and addresses to send these things out? It really upset me to get them without warning, I couldn't believe business would be so crass and cruel. I'm sickened to the core when I think of it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I am sorry for your loss.
    When my grandfather died my Grandmother got five packs in the post. There had been a misprint in my Grandfather's death notice in that there was spelling error in the house name. Same error appeared on all the envelopes. None of the companies were local companies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭9or10

Sorry for your loss Murzie.

I'm afraid that they do. As time goes on you tend to grow a bit of a thicker skin, but things can still prick you unawares.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Ghekko

We got a few after a relative died some years ago. However, after losing 3 relatives in the past couple of years we only got brochures for one of them from one company. I do believe they trawl the notices. It's their way of doing business, however crass it seems. We didn't actually use any of them for memorial cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

Murzie I suppose some people might find it helpful especially older people who aren't online. It saves them having to find a place that does memorial cards.
    It's hard to stomach alright but death is a business like anything else.

Advertisement