Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arch Technologists as Design/Assigned Certifier

Options
  • 10-07-2017 10:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I graduated DIT in 2012 & I've been working in London since then but I've recently started looking at moving back home. I'm looking for information on our ability as Architectural Technologists to act as design certifier or assigned certifier for a project as that would severely limit my usefulness in a rural setting (I'm from NW Donegal). I've done a good bit of research but nothing recent has shown up so I'm posting on here to see if there's any update.

I've been going through getting chartered with the CIAT over here for the past while (I'm an associate member but I haven't yet got the interview to become chartered) and I'm unsure whether to continue if it won't help me at home. I've read about the possibility of getting registered as a Surveyor going the RIAI technical assessment route as a get around? Any info you have would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Supertech

Our qualification on its own is not accepted for the DC/AC roles.
    MCIAT is not currently among the recognised qualifications and there is no indication as to when it might be.

However, once you attain your MCIAT status, there is a route through CABE to Registration as a Building Surveyor with SCSI.

Alternatively, there is a route through CIOB to the register. I think that this route might also be shortened slightly with MCIAT status.

The RIAI Technical Assessment route requires you to provide evidence that you have been practicing as an architect for 10 years (I think) and is a once off assessment of that evidence. There is a fee attached which I think is €4.5k.

See info http://www.riai.ie/admissions/technical_assessment/

There is a further route, the Architect's Register Admission Examination (ARAE) which is run through UCD and runs over a year approxmiately where the various competences are examined, but where it is possible to repeat if you are unsuccessful in any module.
    It is quite expensive - quoted cost is approximately €11k.

Info here http://www.arae.ie/

If you have already started your route to Chartered CIAT membership, it is likely that the CABE or CIOB option would be the quickest route, but you'll need to talk directly to those organisations to determine what you need to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 psweeney9

Thank you very much for the help Supertech, I'll have a look at the options you mentioned!

Advertisement