Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Novel Writing Advice

Options
  • 10-07-2017 4:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

I'm currently in the process of writing my 1st novel.
    I've reached the half way point and have hit a wall motivation wise.
    I have the rest all mapped out and know how I want it to end, but I'm currently wondering if getting to this point has been a big waste of time...

Would anyone on here be willing to read a few chapters and give me some pointers? Stuff like grammar etc isn't a big deal at the moment as I know that'll be looked after in the editing stage (if I ever get there!).
    I suppose I'm just looking to see if the actual story is in anyway decent and if this whole venture is worth my while trying to finish...

Positive and negative feedback is welcome.

Genre: Celtic Fantasy / Ancient Ireland

Thanks! :o

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

You have reached the muddy middle. This happens to all writers. Even ones with a heap of published books.

This is the hardest part, in that you have to put the self-doubt aside, and hate write for a few thousand words. Tell yourself you don't give a hoot if it's all a load of crap, you're going to finish it no matter what.

Trust me, soon you'll start feeling the love again, and it will all flow.

Asking others if they think you're wasting your time by giving them some of your first draft won't quiet the self-doubt, and it may make you pack the whole lot in.

You can do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭SEANoftheDEAD

I really apprecite the kind and positive words!

Hehe - I never heard of "hate writing" before. It definitely sounds like it is the perfect term for trying to push on. :D My mind is definately in the doubt everything stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭km85264

I'd be happy to read a few chapters for you, send them on by private message, but while I can provide pointers on how to improve your draft, I can't address the fundamental problem of motivation. All first drafts need improvement. Good novels get to be born not out of moments of inspiration but out of months or years of effort.
    My advice would be just go for it. Run through the second half of the draft and just get it all down, then cycle back for comments, however I'll do you some feedback now if that helps. Warning: I'm a very mean reviewer :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

I'd push through and get a first draft done. It's very hard when you're in the middle and start to doubt if it's any good. You could end up stopping or completely restructuring before you're even done. At least if you have a draft you can step back to assess it and rework it. And I wouldn't show it to anyone until that's done. Any comments could completely throw you. There will be plenty of time for criticism and feedback but I think it's too early for getting that. That's just my preference though.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭stuboy01

Hi Sean,

If it's Celtic Fantasy/Ancient Ireland genre and you're looking for feedback or evne advice, you could do worse than approaching Morgan LLywelyn. I know she was reading pre published works for some up and coming writers last time i was in touch with her. And she was pretty prolific in the genre. approach her publisher, they'll pass on a message.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 baller06

Hi Sean,

Congrats on getting to the halfway point! I'm just beginning to plan out my first novel, my idea is to map it all out as much as possible so I know what the scenes will be before I start and then I can write in as focused a way as possible. I have to say it seems a bit daunting starting out, well done on getting half way, would you mind telling me a bit about how you went about starting and mapping yours out?

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭SEANoftheDEAD

A little update on this... I ditched the epic fantasy novel idea for the meantime.
    It's far to big a project and I just don't have enough experience to take on a story of that size.

But all is not lost, I'm currently aiming a little lower and am half way through a novella (Genre: Thriller)
    I focused on a smaller theme and smaller world and less characters for development.
    I'm much more comfortable writing on a less grand scale. It's amazing how much a character can grow and evolve when they get attention on the page and you don't have to worry about Game of Thrones size family trees and complex background stories.

I took a creative writing class to help shape a few ideas and even met an editor who is willing to take a look at it, but he is demanding I finish the first draft. Then next a break from it and write something else. Then go back and revise and do a 2nd draft. Then take another break from it and write something else and then finally after a 3rd draft is done, send it to him and let him 'beat to into shape for me'. After which, I can go do whatever I like with it.
    His advice was great for confidence though as he said the first draft will be the worst the novella will ever be. It can only improve from there so get it out of your head and onto the page.

I'm feeling a lot more positive about writing now and am really enjoying it now. Things are flowing nicely.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

A little update on this... I ditched the epic fantasy novel idea for the meantime.
    It's far to big a project and I just don't have enough experience to take on a story of that size.

But all is not lost, I'm currently aiming a little lower and am half way through a novella (Genre: Thriller)
    I focused on a smaller theme and smaller world and less characters for development.
    I'm much more comfortable writing on a less grand scale. It's amazing how much a character can grow and evolve when they get attention on the page and you don't have to worry about Game of Thrones size family trees and complex background stories.

I took a creative writing class to help shape a few ideas and even met an editor who is willing to take a look at it, but he is demanding I finish the first draft. Then next a break from it and write something else. Then go back and revise and do a 2nd draft. Then take another break from it and write something else and then finally after a 3rd draft is done, send it to him and let him 'beat to into shape for me'. After which, I can go do whatever I like with it.
    His advice was great for confidence though as he said the first draft will be the worst the novella will ever be. It can only improve from there so get it out of your head and onto the page.

I'm feeling a lot more positive about writing now and am really enjoying it now. Things are flowing nicely.

Flying high five!

Advertisement