Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerosene - where to get in South Dublin?

Options
  • 09-07-2017 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭

Looking for 2-3 liters of kerosene. Heard there are some pumps in Dublin but where? Especially South Dublin if any.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Bandito909

spr1nt3r wrote: »
    Looking for 2-3 liters of kerosene. Heard there are some pumps in Dublin but where? Especially South Dublin if any.

Thanks

Pretty sure the Texaco on the crumlin road does it on a pump.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭spr1nt3r

Bandito909 wrote: »
    Pretty sure the Texaco on the crumlin road does it on a pump.

Thanks, will give it a go. Any other suggestions are welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

neighbours central heating oil tank

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

neighbours central heating oil tank

Yeah, just drop a match in to see what you are doing!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Thanks, will give it a go. Any other suggestions are welcome.

Maybe give the general area you are in. No use getting details of a station in Lusk if you are based in dunlaoghaire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,028 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Old-style hardware shops might be worth a try.

Not your ornery onager

CeilingFly wrote: »
    Maybe give the general area you are in. No use getting details of a station in Lusk if you are based in dunlaoghaire.

Good point. I'm in Sandyford myself.

p.s. neighbors kerosene is not pure enough, I need my own :)

Esel wrote: »
    Old-style hardware shops might be worth a try.

I'll give it a go, although could be 2-3x the price at the pump.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I was looking for the same - is it for cleaning your chain? I found it in woodies but it was €15 for a medium sized container. Let me know if you find it any nearer than crumlin.

Zascar wrote: »
    I was looking for the same - is it for cleaning your chain? I found it in woodies but it was €15 for a medium sized container. Let me know if you find it any nearer than crumlin.

Bingo! I used WD40 last time and took me 2 cans to get it sort of ok plus a mess all around. Then I found out that chains are to be cleaned with kerosene which is recommended by manufacturers themselves :mad:

I have sent an email to Emo but got no reply. I will try to ring Emo later today and see what's up. Surely someone somewhere has a pump for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

If there is no place near you just travel the extra bit and fill a 5 litre container. 5L would last a min of 2 years. And it's under €1 per litre

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

spr1nt3r I'll buy some off you if you want to get a load of it :)

If there is no place near you just travel the extra bit and fill a 5 litre container. 5L would last a min of 2 years. And it's under €1 per litre

Point taken

spr1nt3r I'll buy some off you if you want to get a load of it :)

Nah, you're grand. I don't really need few liters short of 300 :D That's the minimum order usually, if delivered.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

J.J Kiernan (Texaco) on the Crumlin road was where I always used to get it.....Id be very surprised if they stopped selling it.

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    J.J Kiernan (Texaco) on the Crumlin road was where I always used to get it.....Id be very surprised if they stopped selling it.

FOUND IT: Churchtown Stores hardware store on 14 Braemor Rd, Churchtown, Dublin 14 sells it and is pricing at around €5 a gallon (just under 4 listers if I'm not wrong) if you drag over your own container. Just called and got it confirmed.
    Being hardware store they also do sell containers so... no excuses lads.

Thanks everyone for posting and do post other spots if confimed. Handy to have options.

Nice one. I have a spare petrol canister so that will do I'm sure. Thanks spr1nt3r.

Nice one. I have a spare petrol canister so that will do I'm sure. Thanks spr1nt3r.

My pleasure, let us know when you get yours, I'll do the same.

If anyone gets it from elsewhere please share :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I go fishing for it from our heating tank with a wine bottle and a piece of string

reason for the wine bottle is if you drop it in there the wine bottle won't sink unless its really nearly full.. if you were using a cup or something and dropped it, it would disappear never to be seen again

• Registered Users Posts: 4,171 ✭✭✭Goose81

Thanks

If this is to clean something on your bike then diesel does the exact same job, it's petrol you want to avoid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭rat_race

Just use diesel if you get stuck? Basically the same stuff...

I had about 50 wine bottles full of kerosene; had to get a new boiler at one point and had all of this left over...handy!

Just read as per few suggestions. Diesel is a thing apparently. Seems like kerosene cleans with less residue but also meaning you definitely need to lube it afterwards.

Note, both are harmful if released into environment and also not great for your skin plus not recommended to breathe in. So take good care when you are working with it. Don't just dash it into your palm and splash it around :)

Went to the hardware store in Dublin 14, got a 5l can for kerosene, got a gallon of stuff and a key cut for my basic Honda. All together €12. Not that's a good value!

Got kerosene yesterday in that hardware shop,good find OP. Just gave it a go of a quick clean there and yeah it really does do a great job, seems to melt all the shyte off the chain. You need to put something down on the ground as the gunk goes everywhere, carboard is probably good as it went straight through my cloth. I only did a quick job as I had no paddock stand - but it's way better already. However I think I got some crap on the tyre - what can I do to clean the tyre anyone?

So the reason I had no paddock stand is I keep it locked up by where all the bikes are locked in my apartment underground carpark. However some theiving scumbags have tried to steal it, unsuccessfully. (Why the f they would want to steak a €20 paddock stand is beyond me). Have a look at this pic - they tried to break the lock by twisting it. They used the same method to steal my mountain bike many years ago. Now I need to cut it off. Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,896 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Got kerosene yesterday in that hardware shop,good find OP. Just gave it a go of a quick clean there and yeah it really does do a great job, seems to melt all the shyte off the chain. You need to put something down on the ground as the gunk goes everywhere, carboard is probably good as it went straight through my cloth. I only did a quick job as I had no paddock stand - but it's way better already. However I think I got some crap on the tyre - what can I do to clean the tyre anyone?

So the reason I had no paddock stand is I keep it locked up by where all the bikes are locked in my apartment underground carpark. However some theiving scumbags have tried to steal it, unsuccessfully. (Why the f they would want to steak a €20 paddock stand is beyond me). Have a look at this pic - they tried to break the lock by twisting it. They used the same method to steal my mountain bike many years ago. Now I need to cut it off. Any ideas?

Petrol for the tyre and a cutting torch for the chain.

Thanks for sharing. Cardboard is the best deal alright. Ideally some sort of cheapo Ikea plastic pan underneath to collect all the run off and cardboard to protect everything but the chain. Paint, rubber and plastic does not go well with kerosene. I used toothbrush that broke into 3 pieces after contact with kerosene. Did not melt just became brittle.
    As for tyre get Much Off and a brush (once again sub €1 Ikea dish brush does very well) or even sponge. Rub it all well in and Prince off. Don't let it dry.

Regarding twisted chain the only thing might be angle grinder and a new chain. Check (I know in advance...) Ikea. They sell U locks that are actually made by ABUS. Wink wink. Or Amazon UK for Oxford HD that sometimes goes for sub €30. Not bullet proof but better than most much for that price and above.

Del2005 wrote: »
    Petrol for the tyre and a cutting torch for the chain.

A bit destructive don't you think? :-)

Lads I have a jerry can full of this - moving house and need to get rid of it, free for anyone who wants it send me a pm!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

Lads I have a jerry can full of this - moving house and need to get rid of it, free for anyone who wants it send me a pm!

PM sent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 Harry Fox

You will get it in Nass at a pump

Advertisement