Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there a wireless hard device to save photos and videos?

Options
  • 08-07-2017 8:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭

Hi

I want to save the photos from my phone to a hard drive for safe keeping.
    I already have a hard drive but I have to use a usb cable and the last time it wouldn't work (maybe it wasn't charged as I hadn't used it in ages).

Ideally I would like to have a device that I could wirelessly upload photos like with Google Photos.

I'd also like to use it to play back movies in the car for kids or away from home. Would this need data on my phone while in car for it to work?

Thanks

Comments

Hi

I want to save the photos from my phone to a hard drive for safe keeping.
    I already have a hard drive but I have to use a usb cable and the last time it wouldn't work (maybe it wasn't charged as I hadn't used it in ages).

Ideally I would like to have a device that I could wirelessly upload photos like with Google Photos.

I'd also like to use it to play back movies in the car for kids or away from home. Would this need data on my phone while in car for it to work?

Thanks

For safe keeping, you can't beat using the cloud. If you don't trust that they're safe, upload to more than one service.

There are wireless hard drives that do what you want, and you could hook into your movie library remotely. It would require mobile data if you're out of the house, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Basil3 wrote: »
    For safe keeping, you can't beat using the cloud. If you don't trust that they're safe, upload to more than one service.

There are wireless hard drives that do what you want, and you could hook into your movie library remotely. It would require mobile data if you're out of the house, though.

Cheers. The problem with Google Photos is that they compress the images you store and if you want to later retrieve a photo to print on a big canvas it is a no go. I learnt this the hard way.

Cheers. The problem with Google Photos is that they compress the images you store and if you want to later retrieve a photo to print on a big canvas it is a no go. I learnt this the hard way.

Yeah, you would have to choose to save as full resolution and use your Google drive space if you don't want it compressed. You're saving DSLR images?

Regarding hard drives, I think a lot of the wireless ones come with a certain amount of cloud storage included as well these days.

Basil3 wrote: »
    Yeah, you would have to choose to save as full resolution and use your Google drive space if you don't want it compressed. You're saving DSLR images?

Regarding hard drives, I think a lot of the wireless ones come with a certain amount of cloud storage included as well these days.

No just random family photos on a phone camera.

I thought there might have been a hard drive that could let you bluetooth/wireless stream the movies from the hard drive to various tablets while out and about - without the need for data or very very little data.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,925 ✭✭✭✭GBX

While Google compress them there is the option to upload them in normal size which are part of your storage quota. If you choose the free option they get sized and compressed by them.

• Advertisement

No just random family photos on a phone camera.

I thought there might have been a hard drive that could let you bluetooth/wireless stream the movies from the hard drive to various tablets while out and about - without the need for data or very very little data.

If your phone camera is less than 16MP, Google won't reduce the resolution.

The hard drive solution you want would need to be powered and presumably hooked up to a power source. I wouldn't know of an easy or cheap solution for what you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Longboard

Recertified Western Digital My Cloud device. Still need a live data connection at both ends when out and about. The benefit is, no charge if running at home off the same router.

https://www.wdc.com/en-ie/products/wd-recertified/my-cloud.html#RWDBCTL0040HWT-EESN

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

For photo storage to the cloud I use Flickr. You can back up full resolution images and get 1tb of storage.
    I also sync then wirelessly to a hard drive via an old pc at home.

For the media sharing out and about I use this.
    Verbatim 98243 MediaShare Wireless https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00CZ0P0PS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_gXwyzbMSY896H

We use it in the car, in the airport even on the plane and also while away on holidays.
    It's a great yolk.
    Happily streaming movies and cartoons to 3 devices simultaneously while we were on holiday recently.
    I have an old portable hard drive that I use with it but I am going to invest in a 128gb sd card which would make it even easier to use.

Highly recommended.

For the media sharing out and about I use this.
    Verbatim 98243 MediaShare Wireless https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00CZ0P0PS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_gXwyzbMSY896H

We use it in the car, in the airport even on the plane and also while away on holidays.
    It's a great yolk.
    Happily streaming movies and cartoons to 3 devices simultaneously while we were on holiday recently.
    I have an old portable hard drive that I use with it but I am going to invest in a 128gb sd card which would make it even easier to use.

Highly recommended.

Do you need data for it to work?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

In my settings for Google photo it specifically says that photos and videos get unlimited free storage at original quality.

Settings -> Backup and Sync -> Backup account

• Advertisement

Do you need data for it to work?

No
    It simply streams the files you have on the SD card or hard drive.

Just download files (music, MP4, etc) on to your harddrive. Plug said harddrive into the yolk and turn on.
    Open the app on Android, iOS tablet phone etc and stream the content

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Phonicks

I got this https://m.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/4145772/c_1/1|category_root|Office,+PCs+and+phones|14418968/c_2/3|cat_50000560|Laptop+and+PC+accessories|50000562.htm

Plug it into the phone and cut and paste, it can store your photos, and can be connected to a pc or kiosk to print

• Registered Users Posts: 6,583 ✭✭✭SteM

https://getmonument.com/collections/all

This was a successful kickstarter. Plug a hard drive into it and it will backup any photos on your phone or an SD card plugged into the device to the hard drive. Local storage only but I think you can set it to backup the photos from your drive to a nas so you'd have 2 copies at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,583 ✭✭✭SteM

Phonicks wrote: »
    I got this https://m.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/4145772/c_1/1|category_root|Office,+PCs+and+phones|14418968/c_2/3|cat_50000560|Laptop+and+PC+accessories|50000562.htm

Plug it into the phone and cut and paste, it can store your photos, and can be connected to a pc or kiosk to print

Is the link broken? Not coming up for me.

No
    It simply streams the files you have on the SD card or hard drive.

Just download files (music, MP4, etc) on to your harddrive. Plug said harddrive into the yolk and turn on.
    Open the app on Android, iOS tablet phone etc and stream the content

I think that is the device I was looking for. I knew it didn't need internet connectivity.

How does it get its power. Would a power bank be necessary?

SteM wrote: »
    https://getmonument.com/collections/all

This was a successful kickstarter. Plug a hard drive into it and it will backup any photos on your phone or an SD card plugged into the device to the hard drive. Local storage only but I think you can set it to backup the photos from your drive to a nas so you'd have 2 copies at least.

This can be done on the Verbatim unit as well. All you need to do is power on the Verbatim unit and you can drag and drop from your phone to the attached hard drive. The Verbatim app sees both the attached storage devices and also local phone files
    2jdkrxl.png
    In fact you can do it automatically on any network attached storage with an app.
    I use this app on Android (I am sure there are similar on iOS) https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bv.wifisync&hl=en

I have it set to back up my photos from my phone to a PC which has an external drive connected. The app even boots up the PC at 1am and backs up any new photos to the hard drive.
    SteM wrote: »
    Is the link broken? Not coming up for me.
    this link works for me - https://m.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/4145772.htm
    I think that is the device I was looking for. I knew it didn't need internet connectivity.

How does it get its power. Would a power bank be necessary?

The Verbatim unit has its own battery - you can even charge your phone from the unit like a powerbank. I find the battery lasts about 3 hrs max if you have 2 or more streams going from it. It might last 4 hrs with just one active stream.
    I tend to plug it in to a wall outlet and leave it sit on a shelf with the hard drive attached and it will work away 24x7. We also just plug it in to the cigarette lighter socket to power it in the car on a long journey

Advertisement