Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to start hunting (help needed)

Options
  • 08-07-2017 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi all , I am interested in starting hunting and curious about people allowing people to use land for hunting for a fee for vermin , have a .22 so just need land to start as I am living in the city and have no access to large land areas ,
    thanks all .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭sniperman

is it you offering a fee,or looking to be paid to shoot vermin?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Are you a member of a range?, if so you'd probably be better talking to one of the other members who hunt and maybe get a couple of tag alongs and from there who knows what may develop.

Your bound to get the same generic response from the members here - get out and start knocking on farmers doors, dress smart, be polite and have your licence and insurance. If your at a total loss in regards to hunting you'll need to know your stuff - start bluffing these boys and you'll get the bums rush.

I don't know of anyone getting paid for vermin control - not saying it's not done, but for farmers land I've not come across it. AFAIK there are commercial companies that are licensed for vermin control using firearms but that's another story.

Most of us do vermin control for one or two reasons - enjoyment and or protection for livestock, game / poultry and crops. I do it for both and in return from the landowners I get permission to hunt on their lands. I spend many fruitless or sparse days out on the land controlling pigeon and corvids so that during harvesting I get to decoy pigeons and during the season shoot game birds. To me it's a labour of love with financial outlays out stripping any returns other than enjoyment.......and something for the oven.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Grahamt086

No i was thinking to pay for the opertunity to hunt on sombodys land as aposed to them paying me , i mistyped my thread , yes its purely for enjoyment and for as you say something in the oven and to start off small and hopefully gain some experience whilst possibly lending a hand to any land owner experiencing problems with vermin , thanks for the replys

sniperman wrote: »
    is it you offering a fee,or looking to be paid to shoot vermin?
    No i would be looking to pay for the opertunity . Just to start off , tnks for reply

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge

Dublin city? Best you can do is ask farmers etc. Be either yay or nay. Be a good idea to get insurance from countryside alliance or the likes. Farmers love that you have your own insurance while on their land.

• Advertisement

Dublin city? Best you can do is ask farmers etc. Be either yay or nay. Be a good idea to get insurance from countryside alliance or the likes. Farmers love that you have your own insurance while on their land.

Yes i shouñd try to ask some farmer , yes dublin city so cant say i know many , but sure can be dound im sure , tnks

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭hedzball

Don't be offering to pay for it either.

They'll make us all do it then!!

You're doing them a favour as they are doing you a favour.

'hdz

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

hedzball wrote: »
    Don't be offering to pay for it either.

They'll make us all do it then!!

You're doing them a favour as they are doing you a favour.

'hdz

Why do ye pay coilte and not the farmer?

Advertisement