Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Checking how long a flight was delayed

Options
  • 08-07-2017 3:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭

Hi,
    Can anyone advise if there is a way to check how long a flight taken on September 23rd was delayed.
    My sister was flying Dublin to Newark (EI101) on September 23rd 2016. The flights take off was delayed for some time. Something to do with the catering van hitting the body of the aircraft.
    At the time she didnt realise that she might be able to claim compensation. As the flight was some time agp, she can not remember how long the delay taking off was.

Thanks
    p

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/ei101

Flight radar premium should have it ("upgrade to a Silver (60 days), Gold (180 days), or Business (365 days) subscription").

Note its based on transponder data so may indicate times slightly different to touchdown and takeoff AFAIK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

That would be a safety issue out of control of the airline and therefore not a reason to claim compensation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭Pegmatite

ED E wrote: »
    https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/ei101

Flight radar premium should have it ("upgrade to a Silver (60 days), Gold (180 days), or Business (365 days) subscription").

Note its based on transponder data so may indicate times slightly different to touchdown and takeoff AFAIK.

Thanks
    We looked at that, but its €40 a month to access historical flight data.

CeilingFly wrote: »
    That would be a safety issue out of control of the airline and therefore not a reason to claim compensation.

Ah ok, thanks for the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,929 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Pegmatite wrote:
    Thanks We looked at that, but its €40 a month to access historical flight data.

Maybe a boards member that has access to this data could help you out via pm. Apologies I don't but best of luck

• Advertisement

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Maybe a boards member that has access to this data could help you out via pm. Apologies I don't but best of luck

If someone were to do that. We would both be very grateful.

Pegmatite wrote: »
    If someone were to do that. We would both be very grateful.

But there is no case for compensation, so why bother?

Maybe you think that after a catering truck hits a part of the plane it should still take off without checks?

A safety issue that was beyond the control or prior knowledge of the airline is not a reason to claim compo.

Why people want to scam compensation at any and every opportunity is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭BowWow

But there is no case for compensation, so why bother?

Maybe you think that after a catering truck hits a part of the plane it should still take off without checks?

A safety issue that was beyond the control or prior knowledge of the airline is not a reason to claim compo.

Well said!

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Logic

it's probably down to the ads being played on the radio lately which is getting people thinking of getting a quick buck

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭orionm_73

Also bear in mind that it's not how long the departure was delayed but how late the arrival was. I would think a flight of that length would have to arrive >3hrs late before EU261 would be factored in if at all.

• Advertisement

No one is trying to scam anyone.
    The airline didnt offer up any explination for the delay other then technical difficulties, and another passanger told my sister the plane had been struck by a catering vehichle.

My original question was if there was a online rescource avaliable for checking how long it had been delayed.

Its not up to posters to decide if she is owed it or not. If she puts in a claim and its denied, thats fine. She clearly isnt due any. But if she puts it in and is compensated then she was owed it. All she would like to do is submit a claim and let it stand on its own merits, I should add my my sister did miss a connecting flight and had to spend a night in Newark.

Some of the posts on this thread have been very helpful, and others... no so helpful. I'd like to thank everyone that provided helpfull advice and remind others that "Judge not, that ye be not judged".

Thanks
    p

Your initial post stated that the delay was caused by a catering truck hitting the plane.

That, as I pointed out is a safety issue that is not caused by the airline and therefore is not a valid reason, yet you still want "to check"

Sorry if its not the answer you wanted. If you don't like the answer then ring the compo chaser companies themselves rather than ask here.

Btw
    A flight over 3500km must have delayed landing that was the fault of the airline of over 4 hours.

Onward missed flights unless integrated with the delayed flight, don't matter - that's what travel insurance is for.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,508 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Putting the flight details in here will give the arrival and departure times...
    https://www.flightright.co.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 18,123 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Also, is there not a 6 month period in which you can claim? I could be completely wrong here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭martinsvi

claims can be made for up to six years from the delay. Catering vehicle hitting plane, or any technical/maintenance issue for that matter, does not constitute as an extraordinary circumstance that couldn't be prevented.

In the case of Jet2 vs. Huzar, the English Court of Appeal ruled on 11 June 2014 that "ordinary technical problems that cause flight disruption, such as component failure and general wear and tear, should not be considered “extraordinary circumstances”". Therefore, general technical faults found during routine maintenance checks before departure will generally not be considered "extraordinary circumstances".

the only way airline can get away with it, if there are animals involved, for example a bird strike on take off would classify as something outstide airlines control. Weather wise - it depends. Generally if your flight is delayed because the weather is bad at your departure, en-route or destination - you can't claim. However if your flight is delayed because the aircraft scheduled for your flight was delayed on a different route, you have grounds for making a claim, because airline could have used standby aircraft and crew. There are a lot of misconceptions about EU261 and a lot of it comes from airlines simply blaming everything to issues outside their control.

martinsvi wrote: »
    claims can be made for up to six years from the delay. Catering vehicle hitting plane, or any technical/maintenance issue for that matter, does not constitute as an extraordinary circumstance that couldn't be prevented. l.

Please please please tell me that you are not involved in any aspect of airline safety.

To think that a vehicle hitting the underside of an aircraft is not an unforseen safety issue and should be disregarded shows abject stupidity and any person with responsibility for the safety of an aircraft that ignored such an incident should be fired on the spot as they would be putting the lives of 200+ people in danger.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,123 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Martinsvi said it didn't constitute something that couldn't be prevented, hence it's not an extraordinary circumstance, hence you can claim compo.

Also, I don't understand how you can equate compensation calculated and safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭martinsvi

Please please please tell me that you are not involved in any aspect of airline safety.

To think that a vehicle hitting the underside of an aircraft is not an unforseen safety issue and should be disregarded shows abject stupidity and any person with responsibility for the safety of an aircraft that ignored such an incident should be fired on the spot as they would be putting the lives of 200+ people in danger.

oh dear.. way to put words in my mouth, the only mystery here is are you purposely trying to troll or you honestly don't know any better..

I never said that vehicle hitting an aircraft is not a safety issue or that it should be ignored.. You are mixing up apples and oranges - any incident of any kind should be treated seriously and investigated accordingly. The difference here is whether these incidents are preventable (human caused, wear and tear etc) or not (acts of nature, or as some like to call it - acts of God). A guy hitting a plane with a truck is not an act of nature or God.. So isn't FOD lying around the apron, or a faulty fuel pump.

Advertisement