Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Defunct Routes

Options
  • 08-07-2017 2:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭

Was talking to a friend and he told me he once flew from Dublin to Bahrain with Gulf Air. It got me wondering what other airlines/routes have come and gone over the years.

I seem to remember Aer Lingus did Dublin - Dubai briefly and Cape Town as well maybe?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

EI - Montreal, Baltimore?

Assume you mean just LH as there are 100's of short haul routes.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Cape Town had multiple regular charters but I don't think any permanent routes

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

L1011 wrote: »
    Cape Town had multiple regular charters but I don't think any permanent routes

It was a nightmare of a flight to handle, it came in from Manchester, and could only be on the ground in Dublin for 45 minutes, which for a 767 was tight, as there were passengers inbound as well as departing. It it was on the ground any longer, the flight could not leave as the crew would be out of hours before arrival in Cape Town. That made for problems with the inevitable "will the last remaining passengers......." calls for the inevitable bar lurkers who were not paying attention to the announcements.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

It was also an LTU A330 at one stage

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,356 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

DUB-SNN-various North American airports being a very Irish defunct route.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,123 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

There's been so many ex Ryanair Shannon routes I couldn't possibly name them all off from my head!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭drdeadlift

It was a nightmare of a flight to handle, it came in from Manchester, and could only be on the ground in Dublin for 45 minutes, which for a 767 was tight, as there were passengers inbound as well as departing. It it was on the ground any longer, the flight could not leave as the crew would be out of hours before arrival in Cape Town. That made for problems with the inevitable "will the last remaining passengers......." calls for the inevitable bar lurkers who were not paying attention to the announcements.

Was that the av8 767 that flew via the canaries?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Not sure now, it was quite some time ago, and specific operator names are not something that stuck in the memory. Sounds familiar, it was a charter operator, which of course meant that there were no bag bins on station, so we had to offload the bags before it could be loaded, which on that time scale usually meant ripping the bags out of the cans on the ramp on to carts or milk floats to allow the outbound bags to be loaded, waiting for the cans to come back from the baggage hall would have meant a delay, which wasn't an option. That usually also meant a delay on the bags going in for the inbounds, as we didn't have "spare" bodies to cover that and meet the loading requirements.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭EICVD

drdeadlift wrote: »
    Was that the av8 767 that flew via the canaries?

Correct it was Av8, their fleet only consisted of that 767 & a 757

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

ORK - PRG

First with CSA circa 2002/03 and then EI 2004 onwards for a bit. Both airlines may have operated for a time, maybe others here know better

ORK - BUD

MALEV definitley operated this one for bit circa 2004

Obviously lots of other destinations from Cork in the past that aren't here any more but they were charters for the most part I imagine. Was personally on HER (99), MAH (97) and LEI (01 & 04) when I was younger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭BZ

Charter route that operated in 94 for the summer months SNN-BGI. Flown by Aeroflot with the IL-62.
    Will never forget the takeoff from BGI fully loaded in the middle of a thunderstorm.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

My first time on a plane ever was flying SNN to BOS with Northwest Orient airlines as a child back in 1988.  I remember seeing passengers smoke onboard.  I recall seeing TWA and Pan Am planes in SNN around that time too which I believe flew to JFK.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭road_high

ongarboy wrote: »
    My first time on a plane ever was flying SNN to BOS with Northwest Orient airlines as a child back in 1988.  I remember seeing passengers smoke onboard.  I recall seeing TWA and Pan Am planes in SNN around that time too which I believe flew to JFK.

It's mad to think people could smoke on board as recent as that...a naked flame in proximity to flammable materials in a metal tube in the sky- what could possibly go wrong? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

Ryanair Dublin to Maastricht flew this once was a great route
    Ryanair Dublin to RYG due to the airport closing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    EI - Montreal, Baltimore?.

Flew to Baltimore myself but had a stop in Shannon on the way. Was there also a direct flight from Dublin?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Doltanian

Kerry to Dusseldorf Weeze with Ryanair and Cork to Manchester with BMI Baby both spring to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Knock to Boston and JFK with Flylobespan

• Registered Users Posts: 18,123 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Shannon to Bristol with both Ryanair and Aer Lingus is one I always remember travelling on. Gone since 2015. I

Advertisement