Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Theory test

Options
  • 08-07-2017 12:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭

Hi,I am doing the theory test next week and I was wondering is it ok if i use the 7th edition book to help in studying for the test and I know that I have to bring my public services card to the test but what else do I have to bring to the test,Do I have to bring two passport size photos.The theory test website isn't exactly clear about what I have to bring.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Mr.Cool2015

Hi,I am doing the theory test next week and I was wondering is it ok if i use the 7th edition book to help in studying for the test and I know that I have to bring my public services card to the test but what else do I have to bring to the test,Do I have to bring two passport size photos.The theory test website isn't exactly clear about what I have to bring.

Can somebody please reply and help me as I am unsure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

PPS card and 2 valid passport photos (color)

That's it - good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,180 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

Glad someone confirmed you need to bring passport photos.

For some reason I thought it was no longer needed now that you need to have a PPS card to take the test.

Btw, I had the 6th edition book, looked up the new Q & A related to drink driving online.

I don't have the CD, but have been practicing on this site http://theory-tester.com/
    It has the new questions included, so it seems to be kept up to date.

Thanks for the help,I have my test on Friday and I keep failing the mock test on theory-tester.ie,The highest I got was 31 out of 40 and the lowest was 28 out of 40.I am really nervous now as I think I might fail the test.Is the pps card known the public services card?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

You have 3 days. Jeep doing it until you have seen 99% of questions.

• Advertisement

You have 3 days. Jeep doing it until you have seen 99% of questions.

This.

The first time I tried the test I got 33, and another 33 on the 2nd attempt.

All subsequent attempts have been passes, and I've probably done the test at least 30 times at this point. Usually get 40 or the odd 39 now.

I tried it again and I got 34,hopefully I will pass on Friday.

I tried it again and I got 34,hopefully I will pass on Friday.

Well?

ZeroThreat wrote:
    Well?

Sorry for the late reply,I was away for the weekend.I ended up passing the test.I got 37 out of 40.On the day before the test,I did three mock tests and I got 39 out of 40 in two of them and 33 out of 40 in one of them.The one I got 33 in came up as the actual test but one of the questions was different,It was from the 8th edition of the book and I had the 7th edition.My advice is to read the book once and then keep doing the mock tests to pass.All the best to the future theory test candidates.

Sorry for the late reply,I was away for the weekend.I ended up passing the test.I got 37 out of 40.On the day before the test,I did three mock tests and I got 39 out of 40 in two of them and 33 out of 40 in one of them.The one I got 33 in came up as the actual test but one of the questions was different,It was from the 8th edition of the book and I had the 7th edition.My advice is to read the book once and then keep doing the mock tests to pass.All the best to the future theory test candidates.

hmmm, I have the 6th edition from 2013, read up on the (17 - I think) new questions related to the after crash report about drink driving online.
    Not sure what else is missing from the book I use, but I've done the test many times and haven't failed since the first 2 attempts (always get at least 38).

Btw, do you have to present 2 passport photos, or is it just the public services card you're required to bring?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

ZeroThreat wrote: »

Btw, do you have to present 2 passport photos, or is it just the public services card you're required to bring?

The passport photos are for your pass certificate -they stick one onto it - so I'd presume the new requirement to bring public services card for ID has no effect on that. You still need them.

ZeroThreat wrote:
    hmmm, I have the 6th edition from 2013, read up on the (17 - I think) new questions related to the after crash report about drink driving online. Not sure what else is missing from the book I use, but I've done the test many times and haven't failed since the first 2 attempts (always get at least 38).

ZeroThreat wrote:

The passport photos are for your pass certificate -they stick one onto it - so I'd presume the new requirement to bring public services card for ID has no effect on that. You still need them.

You don't need the passport photos as the public services card eliminates the need for it.They check the card at the theory test centre.In the NDLS centre when you are getting your license made after passing the test just show your public services card and that's it,no need for a laminated certificate.I went to my local NDLS centre to get my license yesterday.If you are prepared for the drink driving questions then use the 6th edition book.Also when you are getting your license you won't need passport photos as they take pictures of you at the NDLS centre to be used for your license.They take 3 pics and you pick the best one to be used for your license.
    All the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

I've my test tomorrow. I've been using theory tester but I keep getting 31/32.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭mansoff

The latest CD should contain 795 questions only.

http://theory-tester.com contains extra questions that were taken out in the 6th edition release. The 7th release added in the alcohol & drugs questions so I think that website added in the 7th edition to the 5th edition thus creating a question bank with 866 questions. That means one would be studying 71 questions that no longer appear. I’m not sure to be honest but is should only have 795 questions.

https://quizglobal.com/playquiz/Irish%20Driver%20Theory%20Test has the correct questions exactly what the official theory test website offers.

The https://www.officialdttonline.ie/index.aspx allows one to register and try sample tests for free for one hour. This contains all study material needed.

Alternatively a new cd is available which would contain all required material.

Hope this clears things up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Joyewole1

Hi, I'm doing my theory test next month and I'm studying. I've been getting 31 and over using different sites and apps. I got the CD from the library which is the 7 th edition 2016. Just want to know does it matter if I don't use the recent one. I've been using the book on the CD and it's quite long which i get bored of very easily. Any tips on it. Thank you

Websites I've used: Quiz Global Irish Theory Test
    App: Driver Theory Test Car and Motorcycle- Ireland
    CD: DTT Question and Answers 7th edition, December 2016

The latest CD was released last month and contains drugs and alcohol questions as far as i know that is the only change. TBH most questions stay the same they just rephrase them to force people to purchase a new CD to make money. Use their website and get the free hour and take a practice test or two. You will be fine with what you have and might come back here to let others know how you got on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Joyewole1

Ok thank you very much I'll let you know how I get on. I've been doing the test but the traffic lights are getting me confused. It tells me the light are red-green-amber but isn't it red-amber-green.

Joyewole1 wrote: »
    the traffic lights are getting me confused. It tells me the light are red-green-amber but isn't it red-amber-green.

Maybe you're getting confused as it's starting with red and it would help to put it in a longer chain.

Red-green-amber-red-green-amber-red-green-amber-red etc

Amber comes before red to give you time to slow down. You never get an amber before green (in Ireland).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Maybe you're getting confused as it's starting with red and it would help to put it in a longer chain.

Red-green-amber-red-green-amber-red-green-amber-red etc

Amber comes before red to give you time to slow down. You never get an amber before green (in Ireland).

At pedestrian lights you can get a flashing Amber inviting you to proceed if safe to do so, prior to a green light displaying.

At pedestrian lights you can get a flashing Amber inviting you to proceed if safe to do so, prior to a green light displaying.

Sorry yes, forgot about flashing ambers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Take Your Pants Off

I have been studying off the 6th edition 2 weeks now, just after finding out a new edition has been added with lots of question, but they can be found online, if i continue using the 6th edition and do the questions online, will i be covered, also can someone link me to the new questions, thanks.

Use the 7th edition or 8th edition as they have more questions than the 6th edition but if you are prepared for the drink driving questions then use the 6th edition.I used the 7th edition book two weeks ago for my test.Also use the theory tester website to help you in your test as it has the new questions included in the mock tests.Good luck.

Use the 7th edition or 8th edition as they have more questions than the 6th edition but if you are prepared for the drink driving questions then use the 6th edition.I used the 7th edition book two weeks ago for my test.Also use the theory tester website to help you in your test as it has the new questions included in the mock tests.Good luck.

Can you link me the new questions. The 6th edition has some drink driving questions.
    Thanks.

You should only be using the latest material as I have stated above unless you like studying questions that may not come up.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭jeonahr

Regarding to the certificate of the theory test, how long is it valid for? I know that your first and second learner's permit are valid for 2 years but I can't find where it says on the website how long the theory test cert stays valid for, if there is a certain length to expiry.

jeonahr wrote:
    Regarding to the certificate of the theory test, how long is it valid for? I know that your first and second learner's permit are valid for 2 years but I can't find where it says on the website how long the theory test cert stays valid for, if there is a certain length to expiry.

It's valid for two years from the date of passing the theory test,It's written on the pass certificate.

mansoff wrote: »
    You should only be using the latest material as I have stated above unless you like studying questions that may not come up.

You just said not to purchase the new material in your previous post as its just a way to get more money ??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

Theorytester website has questions on the new topics. They're sufficient IMO. I passed by just redoing questions & questions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Theorytester website has questions on the new topics. They're sufficient IMO. I passed by just redoing questions & questions.

Same as me.
    I got the dvd software you see in shops and I only passed because you see the same questions over and over. Sounds crazy as there are hundreds of questions but just keep doing it and you get used to them.

Advertisement