Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

parcel bought online left at door

Options
  • 08-07-2017 10:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭

I bought something on a deal site few weeks ago, I came home other day to find it against my front door which means driver rang doorbell got no answer and just left it. It could have been stolen and then if I contacted the customer services to say I didn't get it I suppose they would say well they delivered it. just wondering what are the legal implications of this careless delivering

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

None. I'd be delighted if parcels were left rather than the courier listing it as undeliverable and taking it back with him. If it had been stolen then you did not receive it and the courier would have to explain to the SENDER why that was the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I had a parcel left in a bin recently - it wasn't even my bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

DPD or Fastway?.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

aujopimur wrote: »
    DPDNightline or Fastway?.

FYP.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭dbagman

I had ordered 6 little LED light bulbs for a new light fitting I'd installed over our dining table. Came home one day to a note saying they had been delivered and were "in the back garden". We have a locked side gate so was wondering had he jumped it or what. Low and behold there they were sitting down the end of our side lane on the path. He must of thrown them down the lane. A box with fragile written on it. Lucky for him they were as small as they were and survived their trip. Couriers don't appear to care.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I find Fastway are completely reckless. It is grand if I can get the package diverted to a local shop but some retailers don't allow that.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Lux23 wrote: »
    I find Fastway are completely reckless. It is grand if I can get the package diverted to a local shop but some retailers don't allow that.

Doing so allows you to charge back the money and keep the item. Online shopping is based on proof of delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭seagull

Leilak wrote: »
    I bought something on a deal site few weeks ago, I came home other day to find it against my front door which means driver rang doorbell got no answer and just left it. It could have been stolen and then if I contacted the customer services to say I didn't get it I suppose they would say well they delivered it. just wondering what are the legal implications of this careless delivering

They have no proof of delivery, so if the package disappears, you get back onto the seller to say the item wasn't delivered. They then either refund you, or send a new item. The seller then has to find out from the courier where the item went.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Ma Walton

seagull wrote: »
    They have no proof of delivery, so if the package disappears, you get back onto the seller to say the item wasn't delivered. They then either refund you, or send a new item. The seller then has to find out from the courier where the item went.

I had Nightline leave a parcel on my doorstep that went missing - seller (well known Irish clothes/food retailer who went online with their clothing range a couple of years ago) told me to handle it with the delivery driver - he rang me several times and called unannounced to the house adamant that he had left it on the step and implying I was telling lies about it having gone missing. I don't doubt he did leave it on the step but I live in a busy built up area and my step is visible from the road.

Retailer said it was between me and the courier and stopped replying to my emails. Now I've had to go through a chargeback with my card issuer which is still ongoing a couple of months later. Nightmare from beginning to end and I'll never shop online with said retailer again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

As someone who was a courier, i only ever left the package/parcel or whatever it may have been at the recipients address if they consented to it.

If i couldn't get them on the phone or an answer at the property i took it away.

As for it being stolen if just left there, there is optional insurance that can be taken out, unsure if it covers this area but i would be of the assumption it would.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

As someone who was a courier, i only ever left the package/parcel or whatever it may have been at the recipients address if they consented to it.

If i couldn't get them on the phone or an answer at the property i took it away.

As for it being stolen if just left there, there is optional insurance that can be taken out, unsure if it covers this area but i would be of the assumption it would.

The buyer shouldn't have to pay anything to get a delivery done correctly. Its a race to the bottom for couriers at the moment, paying less and less to drivers while service goes down the pan.

whiterebel wrote: »
    The buyer shouldn't have to pay anything to get a delivery done correctly. Its a race to the bottom for couriers at the moment, paying less and less to drivers while service goes down the pan.

Only going on my experience of the company I worked for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Only going on my experience of the company I worked for.

The delivery contract is with the seller.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

DPD for me. I was in the house. Opened the door to let the cat out to find two parcels dumped on my front step (no front garden, out onto a busy road). Never rang the doorbell, contacted by phone, nothing. And only one of the parcels was mine, the other was my next door neighbours.

Disgraceful carry-on

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭gabsdot40

A courier left a parcel on my doorstep once. I was away so it was there for 4 days. It was books so luckily it didn't rain plus the courier had forged my signature, but got my name wrong, dope.

gabsdot40 wrote: »
    A courier left a parcel on my doorstep once. I was away so it was there for 4 days. It was books so luckily it didn't rain plus the courier had forged my signature, but got my name wrong, dope.

Happens everyday.

Advertisement