Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Power Banks

Options
  • 07-07-2017 12:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭

Hi, Just wonderinf can anyone recommend a good power bank. I am due to climb Kilimanjaro in September and will be without power for 7 days. I will need to charge my Samsung s7 as it has a good camera and possibly my other camera also??
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,462 ✭✭✭sioda

Buy a solar charger with built in battery easily got on Amazon had one with me for a week in Cuba last year absolutely brilliant

One like this https://goo.gl/K7ZsQ7

• Registered Users Posts: 8,306 ✭✭✭AllForIt

A phone won't be any use to you on a mountain.

All you need to do is bring spare batteries for your camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭trafficlight

Thanks will try amazon, its not that I will be using my phone for calls/texts etc... the camera on my phone is very good, better than my camera even so am hoping to be able to use that. taking the camera for back up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,462 ✭✭✭sioda

Have an anker power bank as well but the solar was excellent and torch on it came in handy to find the phone one night
    😀😀

• Registered Users Posts: 18,504 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Thanks will try amazon, its not that I will be using my phone for calls/texts etc... the camera on my phone is very good, better than my camera even so am hoping to be able to use that. taking the camera for back up.

I'm involved in printing large format images, the apparure on mobile phone cameras is too small to take good images, they take OK images for viewing on screens, but if you capture an image you would like to enlarge to beyond screen size then you will be disappointed.

Cameras in general have bigger appatures and better quality lenses.

The only way your phone is better than your camera is if your camera is total rubbish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭trafficlight

Thanks sioda, will check that one out.
    Thanks also Brian, I will definitely look at my camera again, I got it about 2 yrs ago but barely used it as id suppose we are all so used to having our phones with us it was easier to use the camera. for this trip I would def want to have good photos as it is only once il be doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Get an Anker with 3000mah and also a solar charger. Both will come in handy many other times.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,642 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Don't go for the solar charger as you will be trekking all day and only stop in the evening after the strong sun has set. Bear in mind it gets frickin cold up there at night so this might affect battery life. Go for a 20,000 mAh and be sure to keep it wrapped at night to prevent it freezing up.

Oh and number one tip. Bring pain killers. Lots and lots of Nurofen you will need it believe me!

Pole pole is the only way to go. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭DeeTee100

I have an Anker Powercore 20100, and I can easily get 6 full charges out of it. Should last you a week if you're not using the phone too much.

Just be aware though, Amazon won't usually post lithium batteries outside the UK so your best bet will be to find a seller on eBay who will.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

mrcheez wrote:
    Oh and number one tip. Bring pain killers. Lots and lots of Nurofen you will need it believe me!

Why the painkillers? For sore legs from walking all day?

• Advertisement

Why the painkillers? For sore legs from walking all day?

Nope. The soul-crushing pounding headaches as the air thins. Have em all day and night. Not nice.

I met a woman on the mountain that said the pain she experienced giving birth was slightly less than that she experienced on the mountain ! Still its an awesome feeling of achievement when u reach the peak.

OP here's an article that pretty much repeats what I said re solar chargers. U are never stationary during the trek so won't have time to use the solar charger. You have to rush to camp before sun goes down as otherwise you'll be in trouble against oncoming freeze!

https://www.climbkilimanjaroguide.com/charging-camera-batteries-on-kilimanjaro/

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

A solar charger can be attached easily to your backpack.
    Like so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭mikeybrennan

DeeTee100 wrote: »
    I have an Anker Powercore 20100, and I can easily get 6 full charges out of it. Should last you a week if you're not using the phone too much.

Just be aware though, Amazon won't usually post lithium batteries outside the UK so your best bet will be to find a seller on eBay who will.
    addresspal will get it here from Amazon

I wouldn't bother with less than 20,000

biko wrote: »
    A solar charger can be attached easily to your backpack.
    Like so

The one rule on Kili is carry as little as possible

You're also in the shade for a lot of it (trees/mountain sides etc) as the guides purposely avoid the sun where possible

• Registered Users Posts: 5,917 ✭✭✭kirving

To be honest, phone cameras these days are absolutely excellent, in particular the latest Samsungs. Definitely bring it for candid photos along the way.

For proper landscape shots, or anywhere you need flash, or on an overcast day, a dedicated digital camera will be a better tool for the job.

Phone cameras are excellent in good light, but their small lenses cant get as much light to the sensor. This is compensated by brightening up dark images to make them look good, but you'll lose a lot of detail in most cases.

To be honest, phone cameras these days are absolutely excellent, in particular the latest Samsungs. Definitely bring it for candid photos along the way.

For proper landscape shots, or anywhere you need flash, or on an overcast day, a dedicated digital camera will be a better tool for the job.

Phone cameras are excellent in good light, but their small lenses cant get as much light to the sensor. This is compensated by brightening up dark images to make them look good, but you'll lose a lot of detail in most cases.

One last thing I'd mention is, if bringing a camera just bring a small Canon IXUS or something like that.

I saw a guy with an SLR and by the middle of the trek he just gave up lugging it around and handed it to a porter for the rest of the trip.

You literally can barely carry your own body and a bottle of water. It's tough going.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

I got this one from Amazon when it was on special for £25, I believe the ANker come up on special regularly.

Got it sent to Addrespal no problem

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01D0WDWL8/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Fantastic life on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭Keith186

gizmo81 wrote: »
    I got this one from Amazon when it was on special for £25, I believe the ANker come up on special regularly.

Got it sent to Addrespal no problem

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01D0WDWL8/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Fantastic life on it.

Quick charge would work great with the S7 too. I've never been to Kilimanjaro but I'd say solar charging would be a pain on the move.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

AddressPal delivered mine with a big battery sticker on it.

I believe batteries can come in but they can't go out of the country. Think someone said that here.

Mr.S wrote: »
    Also against AddressPal rules, but they aren't as strict.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,718 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I've got an Anker... It's very small with 10,000mah and does 3+ charges of my HTC 10. If your phone has quick charge, I suggest you get a power bank with a QC port. I also recommend getting a very short cable.

I was given a solar charger recently, but hadn't considered it very useful... but it would be ideal together with the power bank.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Anker-PowerCore-Qualcomm-Portable-Charger/dp/B01JIYWUBA/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

https://www.theadventurejunkies.com/best-hiking-solar-chargers/
    and since i think anker is great and it is on special
    https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Charger-PowerPort-iPhone-Galaxy/dp/B012YZXMZS?tag=hiking043-20

also one of the lightest

I would say get that and a powerbank, good combo

Advertisement