Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish 2p coin

Options
  • 06-07-2017 11:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hello..... I'm looking for quite a lot of old Irish 2p coins for a project I'm working on.. it's for a counter top for a bar. I need around 1200 coins anyone have any idea is it possible to get my hands on that many?.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,912 ✭✭✭thesandeman

It might take you a bit of searching, but there is a thread somewhere in the Galway City forum from about three years ago where somebody did just that (well bathroom floor).
    Unfortunately I can't recall where he sourced them from in the end but if I remember correctly it didn't turn out to be much of a problem.

Edit: On second thoughts it could have been 2c coins, but they would be very small for a bathroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,250 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Ricey00 wrote: »
    Hello..... I'm looking for quite a lot of old Irish 2p coins for a project I'm working on.. it's for a counter top for a bar. I need around 1200 coins anyone have any idea is it possible to get my hands on that many?.
    Would you not go for a mix of coins?

Talk to charities that collect cash - they are likely to have some. Also banks and credit unions.

Otherwise, talk to central Bank and explain what you are about. They may be reluctant to reissue them at face value, especially the more valuable pre-1988 ones that have more copper in them.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

It might take you a bit of searching, but there is a thread somewhere in the Galway City forum from about three years ago where somebody did just that (well bathroom floor).
    Unfortunately I can't recall where he sourced them from in the end but if I remember correctly it didn't turn out to be much of a problem.

Edit: On second thoughts it could have been 2c coins, but they would be very small for a bathroom.

They used euro coinage.

The few remaining charities that take Irish coins in would be the best bet - google for that exact thing (charities that take old Irish money) and you'll find a few

There is realistically zero chance the Central Bank would help.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Ricey00

Thanks for your help lads. Iv e mailed the central bank, will be interesting to see what they come back with. No luck with charities yet but il keep at it.

I just want the 2p cause of the copper colour, it will suit the project the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

The CB won't supply coins to have them turned into furniture.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

I think I've got a bundle of them, will look into it over the next few days, might be in the attic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭DMcL1971

You won't get anywhere with the Central Bank. They are not going to issue coins that were discontinued 15 years ago.

Your best bet is probably to go to 'Lir Coins' in St Georges's Street arcade in Dublin. The guy there should be able to help you.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 On Dive

I have a few hundred of Irish 2p coins I haven't got around to sorting through yet. I don't think it's as many as 1200 though.

I also have a few hundred Irish 1p coins, again I haven't sorted through them. I don't know if you could rearrange the design to use them to make up space if you can't get enough 2p.

Yeah absolutely, where are you based? What would you be looking for for them?

Hello Ricey00,

I'm Dublin based. As I said I haven't sorted through the coins yet but if you can hold on a few days I'll have a quick look through them at the weekend. At that stage I'll have a rough idea of the numbers available and you can decide if they're of use to you.

• Advertisement

Sounds great, thanks a million

Hello Ricey00,

There's about 900 plus 2p and about 800 1p at a very rough count.

Ok great... what would you be looking for the lot?

PM sent.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭filbert the fox

Ricey00 wrote: »

Can you say if this is for a commercial bar? sounds like the sort of thing that would not pass the Hygiene test?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,250 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Can you say if this is for a commercial bar? sounds like the sort of thing that would not pass the Hygiene test?
    It would really depend on the design, e.g. it could be glass fronted.

The coins will be covered in a resin mix, it's for a home bar, I live in Germany and I want an irish bar top...

Advertisement