Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House buying in Drogheda

Options
  • 06-07-2017 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Thought I'd kick off a thread here since the last one was so old!
    Is it worth trying to buy in the current market or hold on? In no rush to buy and from what I hear it's non-stop bidding wars...?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

Im wondering if the fire in London has effected the buying market over here. On daft there are 4 bed semi d's in nice quiet estates built mid nineties at the same price as mid terrace 2 beds on the likes of the chord road or Morans terrace. Is there a fear now with celtic builds. if your not afraid then maybe its the time to buy 1 of them before this wave of fear passes

• Registered Users Posts: 24 DDad2009

I see an ad in the drogheda leader from somebody looking to buy directly - are we at that stage now?!?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

DDad2009 wrote: »
    Is it worth trying to buy in the current market or hold on?
    In the early 90's I 'held on'. Could have bought for <€100k but said I'd hang on a year :rolleyes:. Then held on another, and another, and another...

Eventually bought in 2005 for €245k with second child on way and out of necessity more than anything. Borrowed €207K, still owe €170K and house is probably still worth <€160K.

If I'd have bought in the 90's I'd be mortgage free by now. If I'd waited another 3-4 years I probably could have bought for cash. :mad:

I think now is a good time to buy but beware, interest rates are at the lowest they have ever been and can only go up. A €800/month mortgage today could easily be €1800/month in 2-3 years. If you wait, there's no guarantee that houses won't rise above 2006-7 levels again.

DDad2009 wrote: »
    I see an ad in the drogheda leader from somebody looking to buy directly - are we at that stage now?!?!?
    I presume they mean cut out the estate agent...? Buying without a solicitor would be lunacy!

Scotty # wrote: »
    I presume they mean cut out the estate agent...? Buying without a solicitor would be lunacy!

Yes, that's what they meant.

• Advertisement

Scotty # wrote: »
    In the early 90's I 'held on'. Could have bought for <€100k but said I'd hang on a year :rolleyes:. Then held on another, and another, and another...

Eventually bought in 2005 for €245k with second child on way and out of necessity more than anything. Borrowed €207K, still owe €170K and house is probably still worth <€160K.

If I'd have bought in the 90's I'd be mortgage free by now. If I'd waited another 3-4 years I probably could have bought for cash. :mad:

I think now is a good time to buy but beware, interest rates are at the lowest they have ever been and can only go up. A €800/month mortgage today could easily be €1800/month in 2-3 years. If you wait, there's no guarantee that houses won't rise above 2006-7 levels again.

Interesting!!! Seems like we're back to boom prices again and bidding wars - it's like we learned nothing!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 lacikaa

Hi guys
    Im thinking to buy a house in ballsgrove donore avenue Drogheda.
    Is anybody knows if its safe or any anti social activity gonig on around that area?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭markc1184

I live close by. Would be considered a mature area but the large green/shop area attracts a bit of anti social activities. Scramblers, groups of teens etc. You'll see them out 1 week and nothing then for a few weeks. I've lived in the area for 33 years so I'm well used to it now and depending on the house and the particular area I don't think it would put me off buying. My house was burgled a few years ago, buy that can happen in any area.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Carnmore

Does anyone know what Marian Park / Moran's Terrace is like?

Also Drogheda as a place to live generally?

lacikaa wrote: »
    Hi guys
    Im thinking to buy a house in ballsgrove donore avenue Drogheda.
    Is anybody knows if its safe or any anti social activity gonig on around that area?
    Thanks

I live near that, too. As Markc has said above, a few issues but nothing too major.

I will be honest and say that anti-social behaviour is at it's worst it's been in a long time in the area. Has definitely spiralled out of control a bit in Rathmullen Park (neighbouring estate of Ballsgrove). Graffiti is getting very common now unfortunately.

But this time 3-4 years ago the estate was very quiet. So I think it's a cyclical thing. The council are just very poor at dealing with it so when it's 'in' it gets really bad.

There are two houses i see for sale in ballsgrove, both near each other (same row of houses). You'd get anti social behaviour in the daytime generally (mostly in the form of scrambler bikes on the large green area), but at night time it's fairly quiet (apart from the vehicular traffic coming to/from the shop).

Carnmore wrote: »
    Does anyone know what Marian Park / Moran's Terrace is like?

Also Drogheda as a place to live generally?

Marian Park gets a fair bit of vehicular traffic going through it, depending on where exactly you're based in it. if its no. 224 (on daft) then its in a good quiet location, with very little traffic and very little footfall, but has the football pitch behind it (although that wouldnt bother me, personally). If i was buying a house and had that in my budget; i'd want it.

Drogheda in general will obviously vary from person to person. My experience is that it's got all you need in terms of shopping, activities (bowling, cinema, etc) but there is an undercurrent of neglect in the town.

There's a lot of graffiti in the town and surrounding it. Can't figure out why but drogheda seems to have more graffiti than most other places i've been (I know of a volunteer group that clean up some of the lanes around the town, and there was a great job done of it. lots of graffiti removed, newly painted walls, doors, gates, etc. but the graffiti returns over and over so the lads are cleaning the same places over and over again).

There's also a lot of complaining about the town being ignored by the council (who are based in dundalk) but i dunno how much truth there is to that.

It's a great place in terms of amenities, people are generally good, public transport is good, etc. but it does have a bit of a worn down feel to the place. You'd sometimes feel that the whole town and all the surrounding areas need a good pressure washing.

• Advertisement

Drogheda in general will obviously vary from person to person. My experience is that it's got all you need in terms of shopping, activities (bowling, cinema, etc) but there is an undercurrent of neglect in the town.

There's a lot of graffiti in the town and surrounding it. Can't figure out why but drogheda seems to have more graffiti than most other places i've been (I know of a volunteer group that clean up some of the lanes around the town, and there was a great job done of it. lots of graffiti removed, newly painted walls, doors, gates, etc. but the graffiti returns over and over so the lads are cleaning the same places over and over again).

There's also a lot of complaining about the town being ignored by the council (who are based in dundalk) but i dunno how much truth there is to that.

It's a great place in terms of amenities, people are generally good, public transport is good, etc. but it does have a bit of a worn down feel to the place. You'd sometimes feel that the whole town and all the surrounding areas need a good pressure washing.

I agree with much of this having spent a some time there recently - especially the pressure washing bit!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

I agree with much of this having spent a some time there recently - especially the pressure washing bit!

When you force so much traffic through the town because there's no relief route other than a tolled motorway, what do you expect?
    Compare it to Dundalk, that has no toll, but has the motorway access just like Drogheda with exits north, south and centre, but has an outer relief road along with the town centre route.

There was talk of a bridge close enough to the railway bridge at one point, that would take all the traffic that travels to the North eastern side, ie up to the Newfoundwell Road and all traffic out to Termonfeckin/Clogherhead. But of course that was abandoned too.

Funny, I've never really noticed the graffitti. It's certainly nothing like the levels you get in some European cities. I remember being in Krakow a few years ago where it was really noticeable. There wasn't a building on any street that wasn't covered in it.

The town is very shabby though. I've said it before on here several times, the OPW should have bought up all those old stone buildings along the Boyne and done something like they have in Enniscorthy, a famine ship, couple of museums, etc. anything to keep visitors occupied during the day. Address the traffic properly once and for all!! They should have made West St fully pedestrianised, attract more restaurants and pubs, and gone after the over 30's on weekend breaks. We have the history, the Boyne, and one of the most famous buildings of historic significance in the world only 15 mins away.

Kilkenny has mastered it, it's choc'ers every weekend of the year.

When you force so much traffic through the town because there's no relief route other than a tolled motorway, what do you expect?
    Compare it to Dundalk, that has no toll, but has the motorway access just like Drogheda with exits north, south and centre, but has an outer relief road along with the town centre route.

There was talk of a bridge close enough to the railway bridge at one point, that would take all the traffic that travels to the North eastern side, ie up to the Newfoundwell Road and all traffic out to Termonfeckin/Clogherhead. But of course that was abandoned too.

It's more than just traffic though. The town is generally grey and shabby -it appears to be in terminal decline. The highly visible area around the Boyne Tower looks unoccupied with estate agent hoardings in the windows. The Bullring buildings need painting and pressure washing. West St had no bustle or atmosphere about it - in the middle of the day - apart from a few tracksuit-clad men hanging around. It's strange for the largest town in Ireland (80k population?) to be like this. There just doesn't seem to be pride of place which is moreover a community/tidy towns effort making up for any local authority shortfall.

Poor planning decisions haven't helped - Southgate Shopping Centre seems to have created a community apart with residents of estates such as Grange Rath who work in Dublin having no need to visit the town centre.

The Pobal deprivation index doesn't make for good reading either - a lot of the ex-local authority estates are disadvantaged.

It could be quite different but as it is, Drogheda isn't a destination town.

It's more than just traffic though. The town is generally grey and shabby -it appears to be in terminal decline. The highly visible area around the Boyne Tower looks unoccupied with estate agent hoardings in the windows. The Bullring buildings need painting and pressure washing. West St had no bustle or atmosphere about it - in the middle of the day - apart from a few tracksuit-clad men hanging around. It's strange for the largest town in Ireland (80k population?) to be like this. There just doesn't seem to be pride of place which is moreover a community/tidy towns effort making up for any local authority shortfall.

Poor planning decisions haven't helped - Southgate Shopping Centre seems to have created a community apart with residents of estates such as Grange Rath who work in Dublin having no need to visit the town centre.

The Pobal deprivation index doesn't make for good reading either - a lot of the ex-local authority estates are disadvantaged.

It could be quite different but as it is, Drogheda isn't a destination town.

Neither is Dundalk, but gets far more in the way of investment. Drogheda has been overlooked for years in strategic planning and investment at both county and national levels. There's plenty of local volunteer and community groups but they can only do so much.

There is a constant spiel about 'Drogheda VS Dundalk' and who gets better taken care of in the Council's interest, and which town gets prioritised for certain things.

I will say i find the idea to be a little laughable at first glance (the notion that a county council wouldn't view the whole area as one large place) but it seems to have truth to it in fairness. Dundalk has recently, for example, been designated funding of nearly a million euro i think for 'urban regeneration' whereas drogheda hasn't received a cent.

In the year that the Fleadh is visiting the town, i do have to look at decisions like that and question if maybe there is some truth to the whole 'county divide' theory.

The reality is that Drogheda, for years, has kinda straddling the fence of being a complete sh/thole, but everyone's too proud to admit it. There are lovely, genuine people in the town, and the scumbag element is kept under control for the most part, but there seems to be a certain attitude of people talking about how great drogheda is, and how drogheda is their hometown and it's the best in the world, etc. but the same people wouldn't pick a bit of litter off the ground.

The council are good at their day-to-day tasks, like road sweeping and emptying bins, but anything that is in any way out of the ordinary daily schedule (fixing a pothole, removing graffiti, dealing with anti social behaviour, etc.) is something that completely throws a spanner in the works for them and they seem to panic and shut down with an 'if we do nothing, it will fix itself' kind of approach to things.

I don't think I've ever seen council-sanctioned graffiti removal. Dominic's bridge is an example of a council that don't care (that statue was installed with loads of photographers, a star of a harry potter film, people coming from all over, etc. and they didn't spend a penny on fixing the crumbling footpaths, unpainted/worn railings or cover any graffiti, etc.). It was embarrassing.

The Gardai are a waste of time (I called them on a 999 call recently, and the response time was 2+ hours.. you read that right.. over two hours for an emergency response!).

The town has a population of over 80,000 people and it regularly only has one Garda car in action at a time. Makes no sense whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

There is a constant spiel about 'Drogheda VS Dundalk' and who gets better taken care of in the Council's interest, and which town gets prioritised for certain things.

I will say i find the idea to be a little laughable at first glance (the notion that a county council wouldn't view the whole area as one large place) but it seems to have truth to it in fairness. Dundalk has recently, for example, been designated funding of nearly a million euro i think for 'urban regeneration' whereas drogheda hasn't received a cent.

In the year that the Fleadh is visiting the town, i do have to look at decisions like that and question if maybe there is some truth to the whole 'county divide' theory.

The reality is that Drogheda, for years, has kinda straddling the fence of being a complete sh/thole, but everyone's too proud to admit it. There are lovely, genuine people in the town, and the scumbag element is kept under control for the most part, but there seems to be a certain attitude of people talking about how great drogheda is, and how drogheda is their hometown and it's the best in the world, etc. but the same people wouldn't pick a bit of litter off the ground.

The council are good at their day-to-day tasks, like road sweeping and emptying bins, but anything that is in any way out of the ordinary daily schedule (fixing a pothole, removing graffiti, dealing with anti social behaviour, etc.) is something that completely throws a spanner in the works for them and they seem to panic and shut down with an 'if we do nothing, it will fix itself' kind of approach to things.

I don't think I've ever seen council-sanctioned graffiti removal. Dominic's bridge is an example of a council that don't care (that statue was installed with loads of photographers, a star of a harry potter film, people coming from all over, etc. and they didn't spend a penny on fixing the crumbling footpaths, unpainted/worn railings or cover any graffiti, etc.). It was embarrassing.

The Gardai are a waste of time (I called them on a 999 call recently, and the response time was 2+ hours.. you read that right.. over two hours for an emergency response!).

The town has a population of over 80,000 people and it regularly only has one Garda car in action at a time. Makes no sense whatsoever.

Just regarding gardai i used to work on the the donore road near the thatch and our garda response was from ashbourne, dunno where the boundary is. Drogheda gards only ever responded when a cash in fransit van was robbed near by

ssmith6287 wrote: »
    Just regarding gardai i used to work on the the donore road near the thatch and our garda response was from ashbourne, dunno where the boundary is. Drogheda gards only ever responded when a cash in fransit van was robbed near by

In my instance above, it was the Drogheda station that was called, and that was (supposed to be) responding.

According to Google Maps, the Garda station is a 1.1km walk from my front door. Assuming average traffic, a driving journey time of 6 minutes (theoretically faster with blues/twos).

I believe you used to work in the retail park? Not sure how it was then, but I know that a friend of mine works there and the gardai that arrive on the scene for general run of the mill issues are from the Drogheda Station, so perhaps things have changed?

Athough I do believe that park is technically Meath (but even so Gardai from Duleek should respond to it, assuming the station is open, rather than Ashbourne).

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

The Garda thing does frustrate me. I have a couple of hours to kill each week as my daughter is in evening activities in the town. The amount of headcases and anti social goings on are really depressing, that if you had in any way a regular Garda presence would keep it under check. I have never seen a Garda on foot in the town in the last 5 years, so it is no wonder that you have the likes of bikes having their locks snapped on West Street in plan view.

I confronted a couple of guys robbing a bike last year and they couldn't give a damn. I rang the station who said they could see it on CCTV, but I've no idea if a Garda turned up in the end. Ironically enough I applied for the Garda Reserve a year ago and that campaign has not had a single applicant gone into training, but that's not a Drogheda issue, so I'll keep that rant under check.

[/B]Neither is Dundalk, but gets far more in the way of investment. Drogheda has been overlooked for years in strategic planning and investment at both county and national levels. There's plenty of local volunteer and community groups but they can only do so much.
    How many government things are in Dundalk but not Drogheda? For driving licencing I have to go to ****ing Meath because it's in "Drogheda". Hospital? Go to Drogheda. Giving birth? Up and down to Drogheda. Heart stuff, Drogheda. Births, Deaths and Marriages? Drogheda. No-one should ever have to go to Drogheda. It's the most southerly point of a county which has a national border to the north yet stuff is put there.

• Advertisement

How many government things are in Dundalk but not Drogheda? For driving licencing I have to go to ****ing Meath because it's in "Drogheda". Hospital? Go to Drogheda. Giving birth? Up and down to Drogheda. Heart stuff, Drogheda. Births, Deaths and Marriages? Drogheda. No-one should ever have to go to Drogheda. It's the most southerly point of a county which has a national border to the north yet stuff is put there.

Aren't you lucky you live in a "wee" county rather than somewhere like Cork or Galway where a trip from one end of the county takes a couple of hours? Aren't you lucky you have a ring road around around Dundalk with easy access out onto the motorway without a toll? Aren't you lucky you can park for free at Southgate shopping centre where the NDLS is?

The joke with the driver licence office is that I went there for my renewal, it's exactly 1km from my house. Great, it's a once a decade trip. But for car tax etc I have to travel to Navan.

As for the hospital, Dundalk had the Louth County hospital, I'd be putting the blame squarely at the HSE and government at a national level for hospital closures. OLOL is the centre for the entire north east, not just Louth, so you're not all that hard done by having to make a 20 minute commute. It takes about 15-20 mins from where I live to get to OLOL.

Aren't you lucky you live in a "wee" county rather than somewhere like Cork or Galway where a trip from one end of the county takes a couple of hours? Aren't you lucky you have a ring road around around Dundalk with easy access out onto the motorway without a toll? Aren't you lucky you can park for free at Southgate shopping centre where the NDLS is?
    Ah the Drogheda toll whinging. If someone can get to Southgate from Dundalk without paying the toll (i.e. go through the town) then why would someone from Drogheda need to use the motorway to get to Dundalk? Sure just go through the town, no toll!
    With no licence it's a piece of piss to get to the NDLS centre. Unfortunately a lot of people who need a driving licence (sit down, this will surprise you) can't legally drive there.
    Public transport is a joke too, either train for 20 quid then half hour walk each way. Or the bus and a 45 minute walk each way. And the simple fact that Southgate SC is in Meath, it's hilarious.
    The joke with the driver licence office is that I went there for my renewal, it's exactly 1km from my house. Great, it's a once a decade trip. But for car tax etc I have to travel to Navan.
    So is Drogheda in Meath for Motor Tax purposes?
    As for the hospital, Dundalk had the Louth County hospital, I'd be putting the blame squarely at the HSE and government at a national level for hospital closures. OLOL is the centre for the entire north east, not just Louth, so you're not all that hard done by having to make a 20 minute commute. It takes about 15-20 mins from where I live to get to OLOL.
    Who else am I blaming?
    But anyway, once again the assumption everyone has a car or can drive. The bus stops a nice half mile from the hospital in Drogheda. Even in Dundalk the town buses along with the Drogheda/Dublin ones stop at the gate.
    Point I'm making is the "Oh Dundalk gets everything" meme is outright bull****. There's ludicrous decisions all over the place.

Ah the Drogheda toll whinging. If someone can get to Southgate from Dundalk without paying the toll (i.e. go through the town) then why would someone from Drogheda need to use the motorway to get to Dundalk? Sure just go through the town, no toll!

Eh, you're the one who came on here whinging about having to go to Drogheda from Dundalk.
    With no licence it's a piece of piss to get to the NDLS centre. Unfortunately a lot of people who need a driving licence (sit down, this will surprise you) can't legally drive there.
    Public transport is a joke too, either train for 20 quid then half hour walk each way. Or the bus and a 45 minute walk each way. And the simple fact that Southgate SC is in Meath, it's hilarious.
    Ah diddums. Whinging again. If you don't have a licence then you either a/never had one, so are used to the public transport system so it's no surprise to you. or b/ You let it lapse, so your own fault. or c/you lost it for either points accumulation or a conviction. Either which way, it's a once a decade trip, so hardly like a pensioner having to travel each week to collect his pension. I'm baffled at anybody moaning so much for a once every ten year trip, and the perhaps one off time you have to use public transport.

Yes, it's in Meath. Big deal. The border is less than a kilometre up the road, it's nothing more than a postcode.

So is Drogheda in Meath for Motor Tax purposes?
    Yawn. I live in Meath, on the outskirts of Drogheda. For me, I have to travel to Navan for certain civic purposes. I don't come on the internet and moan about it. If I lived in Balbriggan and had to travel to Dublin City for anything similar it's a far longer journey. It happens. Get over it.
    Who else am I blaming?
    You're moaning about Drogheda. Nothing else.

But anyway, once again the assumption everyone has a car or can drive. The bus stops a nice half mile from the hospital in Drogheda. Even in Dundalk the town buses along with the Drogheda/Dublin ones stop at the gate.
    Point I'm making is the "Oh Dundalk gets everything" meme is outright bull****. There's ludicrous decisions all over the place.
    I said Dundalk gets far more in the way of strategic planning and investment, particularly for roads and infrastructure. It's fairly telling that Drogheda has a toll road, yet about 20 sets of traffic lights through the town and no ring road, yet Dundalk and Swords on the top and bottom of the M1 have both a ring road and no toll is fairly obvious, they are trying to encourage traffic onto the motorway as the town is a bottleneck and should be avoided.

Eh, you're the one who came on here whinging about having to go to Drogheda from Dundalk.
    No, you're the one who was complaining about Dundalk getting everything. It's amazing you can type but can't read.
    Ah diddums. Whinging again. If you don't have a licence then you either a/never had one, so are used to the public transport system so it's no surprise to you. or b/ You let it lapse, so your own fault. or c/you lost it for either points accumulation or a conviction. Either which way, it's a once a decade trip, so hardly like a pensioner having to travel each week to collect his pension. I'm baffled at anybody moaning so much for a once every ten year trip, and the perhaps one off time you have to use public transport.

Yes, it's in Meath. Big deal. The border is less than a kilometre up the road, it's nothing more than a postcode.
    So you started the "Dundalk gets everything" whinging but I'm the diddums. Good lad.

Yawn. I live in Meath, on the outskirts of Drogheda. For me, I have to travel to Navan for certain civic purposes. I don't come on the internet and moan about it. If I lived in Balbriggan and had to travel to Dublin City for anything similar it's a far longer journey. It happens. Get over it.
    If it's only a postcode then sure just have one in Dublin.
    You're moaning about Drogheda. Nothing else.
    No, I'm pointing out your whinging. Do you remember your posts on this thread? They were quite recent.

I said Dundalk gets far more in the way of strategic planning and investment, particularly for roads and infrastructure. It's fairly telling that Drogheda has a toll road, yet about 20 sets of traffic lights through the town and no ring road, yet Dundalk and Swords on the top and bottom of the M1 have both a ring road and no toll is fairly obvious, they are trying to encourage traffic onto the motorway as the town is a bottleneck and should be avoided.
    It's telling nothing. There is no "ring-road" around Dundalk either, it's a bypass. The road around Drogheda was a much bigger project. You bring Swords into it now to try to distract from the obvious fact you were drawing a bull**** false "Dundalk gets everything Drogheda gets nothing" argument out and want to **** the goalposts.

No, you're the one who was complaining about Dundalk getting everything. It's amazing you can type but can't read.

Read again. I said it gets more in the way of strategic planning and investment. Not everything. It's amazing you can pick and choose what you want to see yourself.

[So you started the "Dundalk gets everything" whinging but I'm the diddums. Good lad.
    You went on a specific rant about a once in a decade trip to get a drivers licence:confused: And then had a pop at public transport - which is a nationwide issue in regional towns and well you know it.

And stop the passive aggressive assumption. I'm not a lad.

If it's only a postcode then sure just have one in Dublin.
    I'm sure there are plenty of departments that only have a regional office.

No, I'm pointing out your whinging. Do you remember your posts on this thread? They were quite recent.
    I wasn't the one who resorted to expletives to describe a once in a decade trip to get a drivers licence.
    It's telling nothing. There is no "ring-road" around Dundalk either, it's a bypass. The road around Drogheda was a much bigger project. You bring Swords into it now to try to distract from the obvious fact you were drawing a bull**** false "Dundalk gets everything Drogheda gets nothing" argument out and want to **** the goalposts.
    No distraction, it's a fact that it's there. It's also a fact that traffic through Drogheda is far more of a bottleneck than Dundalk.

There's no need for foul language. That's twice you've had to resort to it to try and make your (rather angry) points heard.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Enough of the squabbling folks, on topic posts only.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭10green bottles

And the op was just looking about a house :pac:

The government close services and everyone turns on each other.
    That's the way they want it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 NotAPerson

Hello everyone,

I'm currently exploring some options in the Greenlanes area and came across An TSean Mhargadh apartments. I have a few questions that I hope some of you might be able to help me with:

1) Are there any concerns about the condition of these apartments or the area in general?

2) Could anyone provide insights into the atmosphere of these apartments and the Greenlanes area in terms of community and safety for families?

3) Is anyone aware if these apartments have access to fiber internet?

4) For those familiar with the area, what's the estimated travel time from Greenlanes to Dublin city center and back by car during the busy morning/evening hours?

Your insights would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 48 LOU76

The An TSean Mhargadh apartments are to be avoided. A local estate agent told me that there are huge issues with the roof and that the management company is in a shambles. They are not doing anything about the roof and the apartments directly under it are no longer habitable. The EA told us that the MC are trying to make the owners pay for the roof repairs which would be prohibitively expensive due to the height. The public areas are not maintained properly either. Very few of the owners pay the annual management fee. The residents are primarily renters according to the EA. Plenty of families live there. I see there’s a two bed apartment on Daft now with asking price €125k. They usually ask €175k. As for traffic, well you must know that Drogheda traffic is a nightmare, particularly getting from the north side of the town heading south. I used to drive from near the hospital to Smithfield for work. I had to leave before 7am to have any chance of getting to work and parked by 8.30am.

• Advertisement
Advertisement