Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Textbooks

Options
  • 06-07-2017 3:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I'll be doing a science related degree starting September (Nanoscience ;Most of my classes will be with the General Science ppl). How much approximately will I need to spend on textbooks? I've heard that university textbooks are extremely expensive. Would appreciate any recommendations for websites that sell second hand textbooks.
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Miaireland

To be honest you are asking how long is a piece of string. Hard for anyone to predict. Amazon tends to be a good source of books at a cheaper price. Most Uni/Colleges have notice boards advertising books being sold by students. Students Unions normally run a bookshop selling second hand books as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭A97

I don't do Nanoscience but most courses don't require textbooks per se, but they can be a very useful resource if you're stuck or if you want to do a bit of extra studying but lecturers will be relying off of their own notes and you will have to take down what they say/do and/or they will provide their lecture slides to you online.

Many textbooks will be available in the library, so you can read them in there as long as you want, and you can also rent them out. If you're lucky, some textbooks will be available online for cheap, and rarely you can get one for free.

This website offers textbooks for free, with a completely voluntary donation option.

https://openstax.org/

However, you won't be recommended these books. They may cover a lot of the same ground though, particularly in your early years.

Also, websites like Khan Academy will continue to be a useful resource for you in college, particularly on the mathematical side of things.

Finally, if you get into Nanoscience, you will most likely get an Entrance Exhibition award, which includes a €150 book token for Hodges Figgis, which is on Dawson Street; mere minutes from Trinity. :)

Advertisement