Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chrome browser slower on faster internet - Android

Options
  • 06-07-2017 1:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭

Very recently I upgraded to Fibre broadband from Eir, now getting 100+Mbps as opposed to 4Mbps before. I have an Alcatel Idol 4 phone using Chrome. I have noticed that using the browser, especially on opening webpages, is slower to load. The bar pauses at the start, and then loads after 9 or 10 seconds. This is the same for every website I type in.

Any idea what the problem may be or anyone had a similar problem? Is the phone not handling the much quicker wi-fi properly?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,071 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Have you tried speedtest.net app just to check what speed that shows in the phone

Could be something with the WiFi
    New WiFi router might have 2 bands... Might be worth switching to the second one

I had a problem with an LG phone that connected to 5ghz WiFi but was slower than standard band

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

What you're describing is a DNS issue.

Disable IPv6 on the F2000, most likely its trying a V6 lookup, failing, then using V4 (the new service is fully dual stacked).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Have you tried speedtest.net app just to check what speed that shows in the phone

Could be something with the WiFi
    New WiFi router might have 2 bands... Might be worth switching to the second one

I had a problem with an LG phone that connected to 5ghz WiFi but was slower than standard band

I have tried the two bands, and while one is faster than the other, they are still very fast speeds with the same problem. Thanks for the reply.
    ED E wrote: »
    What you're describing is a DNS issue.

Disable IPv6 on the F2000, most likely its trying a V6 lookup, failing, then using V4 (the new service is fully dual stacked).

I was thinking it may be something like this, but didn't know enough about it really. Would disabling the IPv6 affect the broadband in any other way? Thanks for your reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Nope, 100% of web services us v4, only around 10% use v6. Transition wont happen for at least another half decade at the earliest.

ED E wrote: »
    Nope, 100% of web services us v4, only around 10% use v6. Transition wont happen for at least another half decade at the earliest.

Thanks again for the reply. I'm in my modems settings now but not quite sure where it is I have to change it, there are a few IPv4 and IPv6 options. The one place where I see the IPv6 is connected is under 'GE WAN-1'

Would this be it?

Edit: I think I found the correct setting and having turned off IPv6 it certainly seems to have helped and speeded it up, no pause at the start of loading (the 'lookup' you mentioned), just regular loading time now it seems. Thanks again!

• Advertisement

This wasn't as solved as I thought it was. Still bit of a delay at the start of loading pages on mobile. Used data when I was out earlier and it was quite a bit faster to go to webpages.

Anything else it may be? I suspect its some setting on the router.

Advertisement