Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wooden or uPVC Side and Sash?

Options
  • 06-07-2017 8:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi,

I am currently building a new house and have got a number of quotes for side and sash windows. My house is an old farm house style and I really love the side and sash effect. I can't seem to make up my mind, should I go for hardwood or uPVC? I have heard so many mixed reviews on both. Also like I said I have got a number of quotes and Munster Joinery have come in the cheapest but again I have heard and read a number of mixed reviews on them. Can anyone help me? Am I crazy going with wood, are they too high of a maintenance??? Or will uPVC look cheap and crappy??? Have anyone heard or dealt with Regency windows or Signature windows??

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Frogeye

We met MJ rep recently. He advised against timber in a new build due to the up keep. We had considered them but the U valve meant triple glazed as well which would cost and I didn’t fancy sanding and painting every 3-5 yrs.

We are going for Sash as well. Now looking at aluclad because of the timber inside but I have a feeling the price will be astronomical ( we have to go triple glazed in aluclad to meet the required U Value ) and we’ll end up going with double glazed PVC.

Brother in law has PVC sash and they aren’t bad when installed from what I saw. They have grained finished on them that looks like wood to blind man on a galloping horse.

Have you been to the show room to actually see the windows in the flesh? Loads of thread on boards about this as well

Frogeye

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭RoryW

donal in signature is very nice to deal with and very helpful.

** In the end we didn't go with Signature as we wanted windows which were accoya wood and they didn't do that so we went with derg joinery in the end

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Handsandtools

Just last week fitted MJ sash windows. It's ply and teak wood but that's OK. Only thing I didn't like was the counterweights are square and hang on chains so when you lift them or if the weights stuck it can cause problems later. chain can twist and you end up with windows that didn't open. Apart from wrong dimensions rest of it was fine.
    I personally like wooden windows, but from practical side, I seen sash windows that look exactly as timber but it can twist and open different ways for cleaning.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭ml100

Just last week fitted MJ sash windows. It's ply and teak wood but that's OK. Only thing I didn't like was the counterweights are square and hang on chains so when you lift them or if the weights stuck it can cause problems later. chain can twist and you end up with windows that didn't open. Apart from wrong dimensions rest of it was fine.
    I personally like wooden windows, but from practical side, I seen sash windows that look exactly as timber but it can twist and open different ways for cleaning.

Has anyone any experience of mj pvc sash, triple grazed? Or any other alternative to give the sash look?

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Yama

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement