Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Miracle

Options
  • 06-07-2017 6:44am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Last weekend I saw the 2016 Derren Brown stage show called Miracle. The last part of this is a demonstration of Faith Healing. He is an atheist but does the complete act as if he was one of these evangelical preachers. The one thing he does not do is have stooges in the audience.

It is quite an insight into how these charlatans operate as all their miracles can be reproduced without any divine intervention. It is these sort of magic tricks which has been selling these religions for centuries. Well worth a look.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

He did pretty much the same thing in one of his Television shows too where he trained a Christian to be one of those evangelical Faith Healing Charlatans.

He also covered some similar themes in another show here.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Have you seen the show where he debunked mediums?

He sat a person down and told her he was not a medium and that he had no special powers. He explained exactly what he was going to do, cold read her. He then proceeded to do a really quite amazing cold read of her. When they interviewed her at the end her response was "I don't care what he says he is a clairvoyant".

Great show.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

^ Yea that was the one where he went around with someone who DOES claim to be a medium.

This "psychic" did his reading on a guy but it did not impress Derren. So disgusted he pulled out the "Right Derren, lets see you do it" card.

So he does, and he totally reads the next woman perfectly. The look on the charlatans face though was priceless. Not just during the reading, when he realizes Derren has all the techniques down. But before it when Derren was telling the girl he was about to read how pathetic people who do "real" readings are. The face on the guy was just comedy gold.

So disgusted the psychic tries to pull out the make of her car. But Derren reveals later than they had actually SEEN her arrive in the car earlier. So he knew damn well what her car was.

I will edit it in later to this post if I find it.

EDIT: That was fast. Here.

Advertisement